engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" and Costello V8s

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

speedfetish
Robert Wright

(1 posts)

11/01/2012 11:57AM

Main British Car:

New to the forum and looking for 215 swap info.
Posted by: speedfetish
Date: November 01, 2012 12:10PM

Hi everyone! New to this forum but longtime MG owner (8 of the currently). I am planning to do a Buick 215 in a 79 B, both of which I have already. Just looking for a little guidance. I was planning on using a T5 tranny, I have a ford one but I heard the camaro one is better?. I have done lots of LS1 swaps into cars but its my first swap with the 215. I usually just fab everything up myself but if there are easier ways im all for it. I am also planning on building a custom intake with fuel injection for the 215. If I could get some info id appreciate it, im sure there is allot of experience on here.

1. Best tranny to use? best adapter? I could fab an adapter myself, but if there are good ones i would rather just buy it as its easier. D&D, TS imported? Also which clutch to go with, would like to use hydraulic instead of linkage also.

2 Engine mounts? I was just gonna fab up my normal swap mount but I see them for sale, are they the mounts the factory used?

3. Headers? Seen them through the wheel well, and through the engine bay, pro's and cons? I can fab up either one, or purchase?

4. Radiator options? will probably go with electric fans.

Thanks

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: New to the forum and looking for 215 swap info.
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 01, 2012 02:58PM

WELCOME Robert, your've come to the right place. There are as many opinions as there are cars. Read the "how it was done" SECTION with the BOPR enginges and pick your posion. SAFETY FASTER!

mgwrench
John Perkins

(1 posts)

11/01/2012 09:56PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgwrench
Date: November 01, 2012 10:12PM

Also, get Roger Parker's book "How To Give Your MGB V8 Power", it covers everything you need to know and then some.

Bugeyev8
Brian Marshall
San Leandro CA
(32 posts)

12/16/2008 08:53PM

Main British Car:
1960 Bugeye, 1974 MGB,Triumph TR8 1.2 115 Hp 1275 in the Bugeye, Nissan Ka24DE in MG

Posted by: Bugeyev8
Date: November 01, 2012 10:17PM

use a ford 302 and avoid the BOP step and avoid dissapointment , make a V8 mgb that will actually go fast !

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 01, 2012 11:11PM

I was actually thinking Robert should talk with Carl... Carl has a perfectly good 215 based B and we know it's plenty fast; he whips up on folks in the Autocross events every year. But he's a bowtie guy who'd love an LS B... Robert says he's done several LS swaps and has a shell ready to put one in... sounds like there's a trade there somewhere.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 01, 2012 11:51PM

Welcome to the message board, Robert! I hope you'll post lots of questions going forward. Generally, I think you'll probably get best results by posting very specific questions one-per-thread.

(1) With regard to your first question above, the main bit of advice I'd give is to use an external slave cylinder rather than a "hydraulic throw-out bearing". I've used both. The HTOB was expensive, gave a lot of problems, and was inconvenient to remove/replace. If you're lucky, you might manage to find an original Buick 4-speed bellhousing. In that case, the Chevy-type T5 will bolt right up! (The Ford input shaft is longer, so you'd need a spacer.) The original Buick flywheels and pressure plates aren't particularly desirable though. The original flywheels were quite heavy. I prefer a modern diaphagm type pressure plate to an (original style) three finger pressure plate because pedal force is lower. That might be a big deal if you have to shorten a clutch fork to package it inside your transmission tunnel.

(2) From what I can tell, our friends over in the UK tend to use factory MGB GT V8 mounts and then supplement them with some sort of radius rod to keep the engine from ripping the mounts apart. You can see various approaches to this in the Photo Gallery. (Example.) I bet your "normal swap mounts" will probably work fine, and not need a band-aid to help them survive.

(3) Headers have been discussed before at very great length... you can use the search function to find all sorts of opinions. I fabricated my own block-hugging tri-y headers years ago. I have plans to replace them with home-made through-the-wing headers. The single biggest advantage is that the holes in the inner wings help to vent heat out of the engine bay (because the wheel wells are a low pressure zone when you're moving.) Incidentally, Gary Walker will soon be offering extremely nice laser-cut header flanges for BOPR engines. They'll simplify header fabrication tremendously.

(4) Radiators? Fans? See the How It Was Done articles...

How to Give Your MGB V8 Power is by Roger Williams. It's okay... but I don't think it's a tenth as useful as our article archive. (We have a LOT more photos!) In some cases, his advice reflects a British viewpoint. Our articles tend to reflect parts that are more available and/or economical here.

re: Brian's advice... Ford does make some great engines and I've driven some fantastic Ford-powered MGBs, but at this time I can't think of one I'd trade my Buick 215 powered MGB GT for.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 02, 2012 08:11AM

Plus you can go up to 350 cu in in a 300 SBB and aftermarket heads are available. There is more power potential with the Buick block than the 5L Ford too. No need to be taken in by ford hype.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 02, 2012 02:14PM

Assuming one can find a Buick 300, are there aluminum heads available for it? If so, how do they compare price wise to AFR's or similar aluminum heads for 5.0L Fords?

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 02, 2012 04:40PM

Ha! Fast?! Rob, you obviously haven't driven my car. It's only fast around curves & cones. ;) That's the only place I can hope to keep up. Curtis' GT has a much stronger 215.

Be glad to help Robert any way I can, though. A lot of this stuff is a matter of personal preference once you study the options.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: November 02, 2012 08:52PM

Jim B. is right about the Buick 300. And Rob is right on availability and head price. Both Buick and Ford are fine motors! I like the 215 too but it is a little small. The stroker option or later Rover 4.6 fixes that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.