Flint MIchigan
(20 posts)

12/05/2012 09:50PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 5.0 Ford WC t-5

Newbie to install Mantell V8 kit
Posted by: goal10r
Date: December 11, 2012 11:48AM

I am a 53 y/o with moderate mechanical skills and a warm pole barn with a paint booth. I have a decent set of tools including a 220 mig, torches, plasma cutter, and a big box of hand tools. My goal is to go through the process of the Mantell 5.0 kit and write about my experience. I l like the idea of having so many knowledgable people in one spot so hopefully I can get some guidance along the way. I will focus on the good and bad so readers new to installing a V8 in a british sports car can have an idea of how much work and cost is involved. I like the idea of a pre manufactured kit since this will be my first swap and I'm sure there are plenty of problems to deal with so it seems like a kit is a good idea. Like most mid 50 guys I have a kid in school, a wife with an appitite for fashion, and a healthy mortgage. Despite what my wife thinks I do not have a money tree nor am I independently wealthy. :) But I love a challenge, have a few bucks o throw at it (I hoping to stay around 4 grand US) and for a shade tree mechanic I'm decent at figuring a way to make it work.

So the project is underway, I have purchased a 1995 5.0 out of a Mustang GT along with a WC T-5 tranny from ebay which I picked up over Thanksgiving weekend. I have all of the harnesses and computers to go fuel injection but I think there would be a hood clearance issue so it'll probably wind up carbureted.

The plan is to go through the 5.0 for gaskets and seals, I will also install a set of aluminum heads because of the 40 - 50 pound savings in the engine compartment is recommended with the mantell kit. I believe the T-5 to be solid so little should be needed there. I wanted to attach a picture of what I have so far but for some reason they won't upload into this file (size maybe?) I'll figure that one out shortly.

I have paid out 1350. for the 5.0 and T-5 which I feel is a decent deal depending on what I find inside the 5.0 once I open it up. I have ordered aluminum heads and they showed up last night, I got them new off ebay from an outfit in California. I also have the engine gasket kit, new roller rockers and pedestal studs. I still need the push rods and the headbolt set. I understand I am looking for a 154-3605 set which is made for Aluminum 5.0 heads. I'll include more info on the heads as I assemble them. The heads were 535. including shipping which seems cheap but we'll see proformance wise. So about 2100. so far, I'll probably be around 2500. before I get to the Mantell kit which will set me back about 1800. without the core front cross member. It looks like I have topped out my budget already but again, we'll see how it goes.

I tried a smalled pic and I think it worked, 1977 MGB on homemade rotisserie.
Smaller MGB pic.jpg
The front suspension is pretty much done but of course I'll have to disassemble and redo on the Mantell crossover. All bushings and gromets have been replaced. The plan is to order the Mantell kit in early January 2013, just a few weeks away after Santa brings me some $.
Suspension MGB.jpg

12/11/12 Tonight the plan is to strip the components from the 5.0. I'll post again tomorrow to let you know how that goes.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: Newbie to install Mantell V8 kit
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: December 11, 2012 12:02PM

Welcome again from Rob & I. Glad you migrated over.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: December 11, 2012 01:32PM

Marty

You should start a project journal, it lets you post a lot more pictures and keep the narritive going as well. I would try and keep the F.I. if possible, it makes the drivability so much better and you get better mileage as well.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: December 11, 2012 02:22PM

Car looks nice and should make a great project. You've already discovered the first rule of engine swapping ...budgets are made to be broken. I'd be a bit nervous about $500 aluminum heads, though. I suspect they are Chinese Procomps for that money. If so, Google "procomp head problems" before deciding how far down that road you want to travel. Never had them myself, kept the GT40Ps on my motor after reading some of the stories.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: December 11, 2012 02:25PM

Speaking from experience there is definitely room under a stock hood for the '95 gt efi intake. Now, I'm not exactly sure how Pete's kit mounts the motor height wise, but it WILL fit. Especially on a rubber bumper car. The '94-'95 gt intake gives up a few ponies due to the shorter runners, but there is some good info our there on DIY porting of this intake.

I'm looking forward to following your build, welcome!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 11, 2012 07:23PM

There are several of us here that tend to favor the darker shades of red. Gook luck with your project!

goal10r
Marty Johnson
Flint MIchigan
(20 posts)

12/05/2012 09:50PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 5.0 Ford WC t-5

Posted by: goal10r
Date: December 11, 2012 11:37PM

Thank you gentleman for the welcome. I'll post tonight and then move my MG butt over to the "journal" section under the same heading.
I did get my motor torn down and it looks surprisingly good on the inside. A note on the Aluminum heads; they aren't the Chinese jobs but Australian castings shipped to Fresno California and assembled there with what looks like some decent stuff. Clowho40 has sold hundreds of these heads, has over 8000 pieces of feedback at over 98 percent satisfaction. Since the build is supposed be on a budget I'm gonna give them a whirl and keep the 5.0 readers posted, maybe they'll turn out okay. If not, so be it, like I said good, bad and ugly gets posted. Great info on the fuel injection, if it fits I'd like to keep it. I tried to post a couple more pics but I don't see them, I sent them small but whatever, I'll get them in the journal when I switch over to that list tomorrow. I'd like to talk about t-5 shaft size, I guess I need to figure out if I have the correct bell for it, any info on ID would be great. I'll pull a number off it and do some research, I don't believe it is a 1995 like the engine is.
More tomorrow.
Marty

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: December 12, 2012 12:16PM

Ideally, the trans will have the original aluminum tag on a bolt between the tailshaft and main case. There are lists out there that will help decipher the code. If the tag is missing (common on rebuilts), there are limited methods to find out the origin of the transmission. You would like to see a number of 1352-11-199 for a 90-91 Mustang. Also, if it is a Mustang unit, there is a partial vin stamped into the side of the main case next to the mounting surface. '94 and '95 Mustangs had a longer input shaft and deeper bellhousing to allow placement of the shifter farther back. This may not be an issue in your case, I don't know. Be aware that the T5 was used behind 4 cylinder engines also, and these probably should be avoided. Look at Modern DriveLine website for more information. Also, look up Stan Peace's www.Pro-ForcePerformance.com site for additional help.
Dennis

mgbv81970
Scott Wooley
Frederick Colorado
(23 posts)

09/07/2011 02:20PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB 289 Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: mgbv81970
Date: December 13, 2012 03:38PM

Try this link for information on identifying the T5.

[www.5speeds.com]

There's a tremendous amount of support, parts and information out there on this very popular transmission. For the MGB engine conversion, it's a very good choice.

Scott

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: December 13, 2012 06:38PM

I agree with Carl, your car is a beautiful color.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.