Wray Goode

(6 posts)

06/22/2008 02:47PM

Main British Car:

Re: Looking for an MGB GT and information about alternate Engine conversion
Posted by: Wray
Date: July 09, 2008 10:41PM

Brian,

I believe Fuel Injection is the way to go for a daily driver.
My 1965 Traveler was supposed to be a daily drive to work car, trip car, parts hauler for other projects, but I went just a "little" over board with it. This latest series of computers from Honda aren't as user friendly in transplants outside the Honda line of cars. HONDATA seems to be the company doing much with them. Mine has a HONDATA supplied JDM computer and it is a lot more complicated in some respects. I was told there was no pin to use to signal the air conditioner to switch on in the JDM computer.
Now one of the 3 nitrous signal pins is wired to tell the air conditioner to switch on.
Another issue is that the reverse lock out solenoid can not be used without occasionally triggering fault codes that lead to other headaches. When shifting from 5th to 6th gear you might be able to force the trans into reverse. Sometimes shifting from 4th to 5th I force it over into the reverse gate and have to pull it back and retry for 5th.
Mostly annoying than anything else.
Problem is at WOT with the i-VTEC pulling hard you are shifting from 4rd to 5th right around 100 MPH or so, I'm not exactly sure because things are happening so fast to watch any of the gauges.
You have you hands full just controlling the car without jamming it too far to the right.

So far even the passengers have had their eyes glued to the road and during the few exhibition runs and haven't had time to watch the centrally located Autometer speedometer. One former pilot said he noticed an indicate 120 or so in 4th before I had to back off. I haven't been able notice what the shift light is doing, suspect it starts flashing up around 8 grand or so, the rev limiter usually takes over sometime, but who can watch the tachometer.

Sorry I get to rambling too much.

Primary post was to look for a good sound late model Mk3 chrome bumper MGB GT about 1970-1974 or so.
We have been watching e-bay, searching the web, networking, etc.
We have talked several people. We even drove over 600 miles one way a couple of weeks ago for a guaranteed RUST FREE car.
We planned to turn in the rental car and drive the GT home.
Even a cursor examination of the car showed so much obvious and hidden rust.
I couldn't believe how rusty it was for a supposedly rust free car.

Still looking for the right MGB GT for Fay to drive while we plan out the changes.

There is a red GT V8 conversion on e-bay now located in California, but it is already out of my initial investment price range and too far for 2-3 trip.

Like I said still looking for the right GT.

Wray

YoungGuy
Jarrod Hills

(11 posts)

09/10/2008 06:40PM

Main British Car:

Re: Loking for an MGB GT and information about alternate Engine conversion
Posted by: YoungGuy
Date: September 10, 2008 07:18PM

I was going to go with an I4 in my GT but decided to put that particular motor into my MGA instead. Here is what I was going to do:

Ford Zetec with T5 trans- look to Quad4Rods for the bell housing and all that. You will be able to use a Zetec pressure plate, Mustang 2.3L disc and a hydraulic T5 throw out bearing. It is a distributorless motor so you will need a management system and Quad4Rods has a simple computer that hooks up for a couple hundred that will take care of that. You will need to notch the crossmember to clear the pan but thats no big deal. I was going to run Weber DCOE40's but it being a motor used in the Caterhams, the choices are almost endless. The only other thing you need is a thermostat relocation system and Redline in the UK makes that. The only thing that you are going to have to figure out is the pilot bearing but a Zetec one can be reamed out to a larger i.d. for the pilot shaft of the T5.

Sorry if this reads a little disjointed but it was a sort of brain dump.

chormy
shaun holmes

(2 posts)

06/28/2008 03:55PM

Main British Car:

Re: Looking for an MGB GT and information about alternate Engine conversion
Posted by: chormy
Date: October 11, 2008 04:12AM

I have just bought a TVR Cerbera, Its has a wonderful V8 made by TVR 4.2/4.5 ltr 380/400hp with a T5 box the engine is a race derived engine and propels the TVR to 180mph + and a 0-60 of 3.8s with a similar wieght to the stripped out C, also they have a straight 6 alloy engine with upto 350hp both I think would fit in a B or C

For you guys out there they both would be great swops

I am tempted to look at a installation in the C but loth to destroy the MGCGTS as a original type replica.

[www.pistonheads.com]

the UK ebay have engines for 3000 pounds

Have fun

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Loking for an MGB GT and information about alternate Engine conversion
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 11, 2008 12:32PM

Welcome to the message board Shaun!

Shaun wrote: "I am tempted to look at a installation in the C but loth to destroy the MGCGTS as a original type replica."

For anyone who doesn't know Shaun... click here to see his MGCGTS replica. (16 photos)

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ShaunHolmes/ShaunHolmes-A.jpg

gormcar3460
Gorm Madsen

(1 posts)

12/01/2008 08:33AM

Main British Car:
MG BGT V8 4,4 L. 32 Valve

authors avatar
bmw m62u V8 engine into chrome-bumper MGB
Posted by: gormcar3460
Date: December 05, 2008 02:41PM

My conversion will feature a BMW M62U (2004 Range Rover) 4.4-liter V8 gasoline engine, with Toyota Supra Turbo gearbox, and finally a Jaguar rearend with Powerlok.

If anyone would like to know what is going on, let me know!

(Moderator's note: I took the liberty of translating a few Danish expressions into "American-English" for Gorm... just for easier reading.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 05:10PM by Moderator.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: bmw m62u V8 engine into chrome-bumper MGB
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 05, 2008 05:20PM

Welcome to the message board Gorm. Where in Denmark are you? (Loveliest country in Europe!)

I've been told the Danish laws about modifying cars are very, very tough. Is it true?

PLEASE post photos of your project! We'll be extremely interested to hear all about it. Will all that engine fit under the bonnet?

chimes
david chimes
Reading, UK
(12 posts)

12/13/2009 08:40AM

Main British Car:
JaguarXJ8 & XK8 Original GT V8 (just s 2ltr

Re: bmw m62u V8 engine into chrome-bumper MGB
Posted by: chimes
Date: October 20, 2010 06:10AM

This is the Jaguar 4.0/4.2ltr engine, ran a tape measure round my XJ8 and the engine looked really wide
length looked OK. Will be interested to see how Gorm gets on. Lets have photos Gorm, Please.

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Re: Looking for GT & info about alternate engine swaps
Posted by: J Man
Date: October 21, 2010 08:28AM

Personally I think the Ecotec mortor would be a great choice for your wife's GT (when you find one). You mentioned the Solstice and the Sky, they use the smae motor in the Cobalt SS and the Colorado/Canyon. The Colorado/Canyon would be a lot easier to find and the non supercharged motor would be cheaper. It is also available with an auto or 5 spd depending on what your wife would want to go with. GM claims that the current 2.9L version gets 185 hp, not sure what the earlier ones are rated at. Something else to consider is that the truck is rated at 3700 lbs where the GT would be 2000 or maybe less so the power from the Ecotec motor will be more than enough to move it. Length and width you should be ok as far as getting it to fit, my concern would be the height. if you think this is the route you want to go I can get you the height measurement.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.