herexmafe
Harmony Herman

(1 posts)

03/20/2013 02:22AM

Main British Car:

wants to install auto locking system in my car - needs a locksmith
Posted by: herexmafe
Date: March 20, 2013 02:32AM

i have 1954 MG TF Midget and yet it is very old model so it has only manual locking facilities but now i want now i want to install auto locking facilities in it but i dnt know that is it possible or not and if yes then how much it will goin to cost ? anyone have some idea kindly help me or drop me a message.

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Re: wants to install auto locking system in my car - needs a locksmith
Posted by: crashbash
Date: March 20, 2013 01:28PM

Harmony
I'm not sure why you would want an auto locking system on this kind of classic car. Anyone that wanted in badly enough would surely just cut the canvas top to get in. This has happened to me on an MGB RDST and a TR6. I don't bother locking any more. I'm thinking what you may be interested in is a auto immobilzer, some auto electronic gadget supplier/installer could probably figure out a way to do it with one of the new gadgets. Auto alarm company maybe. You could have a remote alarm hooked up to notify you if anyone is messing with your auto and have the ability to imobilize and mobilize your car remotely. Good luck
dave bash

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 20, 2013 07:26PM

Anything is possible... but it will be difficult to keep a determined thief out of an MG TD.

If car theft is what you're concerned about, a hidden immobilizer switch would be cheaper, simpler, and more effective. I have a keyed battery disconnect switch which is reachable from my driver's seat... not really hidden, but where a thief would be unlikely to notice it. (Bonus: battery disconnect switches are an excellent safety feature.)

(like this... except hidden!)
http://www.britishracecar.com/RandyByboth-AustinHealey-Sprite/RandyByboth-AustinHealey-Sprite-AH.jpg

You might also want to consider adding a hidden switch on the ignition circuit, on the starter motor circuit, or on the electric fuel pump circuit.

pointnette
Stan Thompson
France
(13 posts)

11/24/2012 07:56AM

Main British Car:
1999 Toyota Corolla; 1978 Volvo 244 both run bicarburation LPG/petrol

Posted by: pointnette
Date: March 21, 2013 11:49AM

I know this won’t help much, but one of the best anti-theft devices on older British cars, at least where uninitiated joy riders were concerned, was the starter button! We used it as a sort of test to weed out the bozos from the potential buyers, when selling cars, too. If they got in, turned the key, then looked at you with contempt and said:
“The battery’s dead!”
You knew it probably wasn’t worth your trouble to let them take it for a drive.

Also, my BJ7 and I’m pretty sure my BT7 had cut off switches for the batteries in the boot... as if one needed to cut the juice to a Lucus starter motor to keep it from turning over!

Stan

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: March 21, 2013 12:06PM

You know Stan, someone once asked me why I start my car before I put my seat belt on and I said, you've never driven a British car have you :-)

Paul

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 21, 2013 06:24PM

I have a couple layers of defense on my car but I think the best is a cut off in the fuel pump circuit. If they can easily start the car, they're not likely to damage it. And when it dies a quarter mile down the road when the bowl empties they're more likely to just leave it vs spending time to get it restarted.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: March 22, 2013 12:03PM

Small toggle SW between the key and the coil. Hide the toggle SW .

It will crank but will not start.

pointnette
Stan Thompson
France
(13 posts)

11/24/2012 07:56AM

Main British Car:
1999 Toyota Corolla; 1978 Volvo 244 both run bicarburation LPG/petrol

Posted by: pointnette
Date: March 23, 2013 02:32PM

Good one Paul !
I worked as a Security Agent in various museums around Paris, some years back and occasionally I’d get British or American visitors who’d ask me why the numbers for the art works in the English language audio guide they were using didn’t correspond with number given for it in the hall. They felt it would be more logical to have both numbers the same.

My answer was always:
“So how long have you been in France ?”

Stan

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 23, 2013 07:34PM

The MG TD & TF (& MGA) already have a factory anti-theft device. It's called a fly-off handbrake! ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.