10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
No more engine bay wiring
Posted by: BMC
Date: July 10, 2008 12:37AM

Here is my solution to the engine bay harness:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/bmcautos/SGknPzpBDqI/AAAAAAAAAps/W3I5k1ZPQT0/DSCF8423.JPG?imgmax=640
Mostly done. Notice no wires? They are all there. The lights and engine fan, fog, turn signals and everything are all wired in and working. The engine runs as well. How did we get rid of the wires? I have one word for you: BLUETOOTH!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/bmcautos/SHVn_ySzjtI/AAAAAAAAAtM/NRz-NZTImJI/DSCF6363.JPG?imgmax=640
Conduit in passengers side wheel well for hidden harness. The harness is taken out of the engine bay and rerouted through this piece of 1/2" (I.D.) conduit. The hole is drilled here in the wheel well and runs in between teh inner and outer 'wing' and then through teh standard rubber grommet in the firewall. No fuse panel in the engine bay means everything under the dashboard.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/bmcautos/SHVoGbIl2NI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/PxYJdfBXcig/DSCF6364.JPG?imgmax=640
Conduit in passengers side wheel well for hidden harness. The harness is taken out of the engine bay and rerouted through this piece of 1/2" (I.D.) conduit.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/bmcautos/SHVpDDOgxCI/AAAAAAAAAtY/D6kX2a9qpoo/DSCF8485.JPG?imgmax=640
Conduit in the wheel well for the hidden harness. Aproximately 32" long and 8" down. Requires a minimum of one clamp up front and to have the hole sealed in the rear with silicone sealer. two made at the same time for two different projects.

No harness in the engine bay. The 1/2" conduit is large enough for a ground, left and right turn, low and high beam, fog lamp, parking lamp, horn and engine fan. This all stretches across the front of the car and with this tube in place, anything that gets stuck in your wheel well is not very likely to damage the harness. The clean engine bay looks far better. You need to create a separate harness that runs to the passengers side and only bullet connectors fit through the tube. Anything more and you may want to go with a larger conduit. The hole is pretty easy to drill- about a 3/4" hole when done.

Time consuming? YES!

I'll try to post pictures of FI engine harness hiding at a later date. - - - along with pictures of the wires underneath the front end.

-BMC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 01:29AM by Moderator.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: No more engine bay wiring
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 10, 2008 01:39AM

Looks great!

---

Now... to do this next time. On the Picasa site, right click on the image you want to display here and select "copy image location". Then, come to this message board editor and paste in that address. (In other words, you want the Picasa image, not the Picasa "page".) Finally, here in our editor, you just have to remember one little trick: type {img} and {/img} respectively immediately before and after the image's address. (NOTE: use square brackets instead of curly brackets.) Select "preview" to see if it worked okay. Incidentally, this technique also works on the MG Experience message board.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 10, 2008 07:23PM

Looks good Brian. Did you do anything at the ends to keep them from chafing the wires so you don't get shorts down the road?

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: July 10, 2008 07:37PM

Curtis,

Thank You!! I was looking for that option but couldn't find it and to save time, just decided to use the picture location. I will try this again later.

Rob,

You bring up an excellent point. I recommend siliconing the ends of the pipe only to keep things from chafing. For now since I know that I may do a little more to it, I have just wrapped the wires with electrical tape in that small section coming out the pipe. You are correct- chafing can be a serious concern down the road in what i would imagine is about 2 years or when you have long forgotten what you have done.

Finally, someone asked where the fuse panel went over on the other site. This picture also shows the location of the engine harness hole being drilled out, the main electric wire to the power junction block and main fuse. The fuse panel is connected to a special piece of sheet metal made specifically for the fuses and if we install the underdash panels, we will just cut out the location for the fuses They will be around 1/2" inside or out of this panel, so it should look good and be easy to reach.

-BMC.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/bmcautos/SFxThjfLhFI/AAAAAAAAAlo/DsbRhgn1Glc/DSCF8378.JPG?imgmax=576

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.