(96 posts)

01/16/2011 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
My take on installing EFI Fuel pump
Posted by: 63BlueMGB
Date: April 28, 2013 12:15AM

First let me say I am new to this car stuff and everything I do is from searching topics and coming up with an idea that I think works for me and if I can learn something in the process it will only make me better in the future, thanks to everybody's previous inputs on EFI fuel pump installation and opinions I did alot of searching on the britishV8 site plus mutliple others but I wanted to post what i thought would work for me and wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions on the installation i came up with plus I hope this my help someone in the future . Of course I have not had a chance to test this installation for myself but it should work (famous last words, right?). Well first I was looking at Kelly S. article on EFI and plus I looked at Keith T. article on his fuel problems and decided that I should install a submersible fuel pump for my EFI installation. Problem was I am running out of funds for my project and cannot afford to buy a new tank, I also do not have the confidence and faith in my welder to weld on my tank and ensure that I get it sealed properly.So I have to use the one I have, and came up with this solution... I welcome any comments and concerns with my installation and I hope this helps somebody down the road.
First I researched vehicles with a fuel pump with the 5.0L motor and which on of them was flanged mounted. I decided to use one from a 98-01 Mercury Mountaineer that has a flange mount
Fuel Pump.jpg
Front of fuel pump.jpg
Of course the length is to large to fit in my stock tank so the next step is to shorten the fuel pump using the stock brackets, My fuel tank on a 1963 MGB only measures about 61/2" and it deepest section. So I shorten the bracket so it has a total length of about 6 1/4"
Cut fuel pump.jpg
So after I cut the Brackets I have to make a bracket for the fuel pump to mount to and for the fuel pump to mount to the tank
Fuel pump bracket.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 10:52PM by 63BlueMGB.

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Re: My take on installing EFI Fuel pump
Date: April 28, 2013 12:46AM

So after I cut out the bracket I need to mark where the holes will be drilled to to mount the flange to the tank and the EFI pump to the flange, Luckly the pump had a gasket with it that I can use to mark all my holes
bracket holes.jpg
So after I drill the holesand determine the bracket is the right size I place the bracket template on the tank and find the center of the tank and deepest part of the tank, next fill the tank with water and degreaser and sloash it around and trace template and cut the hole for the fuel pump
Cutting fuel pump hole.jpg
Once hole is cut next is to drill all the holes for the mounting flange and drill the holes for the fuel pump mounting flange and weld nuts for the flange to attach the fuel pump to the collar that is being made
Drilled holes and welded nuts for fuel pump.jpg
I used a low profile bolt and nut to attach the collar to the tank, There is also another method for this collar, if you can cut the collar out of the gas tank you are getting the fuel pump you can bolt that to your tank but I could not cut the collar out of the gas tank that I got this fuel pump from so I had to make my own. Before you bolt the flange to the tank you need to seal the collar you made with a Type 2 gasket material from permatex or another type of gasoline resistant material
Gasket material.jpg

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Date: April 28, 2013 10:31AM

I will finish the rest of this post later this evening. It took a long time to resize some of the photos

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: April 28, 2013 01:16PM

Nick, thanks for the additional info and this shows " There's more than 1 way to skin the cat", the flange mounting with screws was a way I did not consider. I had no idea how to fasten the nuts to the tank. The complete flange method seems to be the easiest attachment and most likely to seal. my solder method was chosen to eliminate the extreme heat of welding and not compromise the Nitrene coating. SAFETY FASTER!

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Date: April 30, 2013 10:31PM

Sorry for the delay but with work and all the other things that come up in life it has taken me a little longer to finish this post than it was suppose to. Anyway, Once collar had been cut and holes drilled and nuts welded to collar to attach the fuel pump I also want to create a baffle that would not starve the pump. My fuel tank had two baffles in it one about 6" from each end of the fuel tank so that left alot of room for fuel to sloosh around. So I created a baffle that would attach to the fuel pump and allow fuel to enter and leave quickly to not starve the fuel pump.
Fuel.jpg

This attaches to the fuel pump on on of the fuel senders mounting points, However I choose not to use the sender because I want to keep the original MGB gauges. Here is a pic showing the baffle mounted to the fuel pump
Fuel pump and baffle.jpg
Originally I just used some fuel line to attach the fuel pump to the existing fuel line, however you can see in the picture that the hose had a serious bend in it and I did not want to chance restricting my fuel flow so I decided to get some 3/8" stainless tube and bent it into a u-shape and then attach it to the existing fuel line to line band clamps
Fuel and baffle with stainless tube.jpg
Reverse fuel baffle view.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 10:55PM by 63BlueMGB.

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Date: April 30, 2013 10:51PM

So with the fuel pump lines completed and the the baffle made it is now time to attach the Fuel pump and baffle to the tank
Fuel collar and mouting bolts.jpg
Collar is mounted to the tank with low profile bolts and now it is time so seal the top side of the gasket with the same gasoline resistant type 2 gasket maker, and attach the fuel pump to the collar with the stock gasket to make a good seal.
Mounted fuel pump.jpg
Like Kelly said there is more than one way to skin a cat, however this method is not tried and I do not know if it will leak and function properly, but I do not suspect it will fail either. This total project cost me about 35$, 24.99 for the fuel pump assembly at the junck yard, 2.00 for the scrap steel for collar and homade baffle, 4.99 for the fuel inertia switch and relay. Be sure to grab these off of a car in the junk yard as well and about 3.00 for the nuts and bolts. So now I have a efi pump for my car and is very excessable if the fuel pump goes bad, I also have a return line for my fuel, I am going to cap the old fuel line and my vapor line will attach to the filler neck so the tank has a vent, Well I welcome any and all feedback and hope this thread helps other with there EFI conversion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 10:57PM by 63BlueMGB.

TKMad
Tyler Madia

(16 posts)

12/15/2007 05:14PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TKMad
Date: May 01, 2013 04:42PM

Looks to me like it should work just fine. I have done similar mods in the past for fuel injection and they have always seemed to work out well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.