Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Steering Column '73 MGB GT V8
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: May 06, 2013 11:04PM

Hi - a first timer,

Can anybody help with the sequence of removing the top half of the steering column of a '73 factory original GT V8. I am concerned that I am going to strike some difficulties releasing the top/steering wheel end of the column where it fits into the universal joint which is on the engine side of the fire wall and sits in a cone shaped section that is relieved into the cabin side of the firewall.

Any information/hints would be greatly appreciated.

ZT

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Steering Column '73 MGB GT V8
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 09, 2013 10:10PM

I've never looked close at a factory original V8 but if it's the same as a regular MGB, there are 3 or 4 bolts that hold it up to the brace under the dash and 3 bolts that hold it to the cone on the firewall (bolt heads inside the car). Remove those and remove the fasteners on the steering u-joint (don't recall if it's a pinch bolt or set screw of some sort) and the column should slide out. Might take some penetrating oil and or a little persuasion to free the shaft from the steering u-joint but it will separate. If it's a pinch bolt in the u-joint, remove it vs just loosening it. I seem to recall there's a depression on the shaft that the bolt is in to hold it from coming apart as long as the bolt is there.

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

05/08/2013 03:24AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: ID
Date: May 10, 2013 01:14AM

Thanks Rob,

You have covered what I perceived to be difficult regarding the removal of the uni joint. To start with, I think one would need to nearly "stand on his head" to undo the securing bolt on the steering wheel side of the universal. That being said, you have mentioned using penetrating oil which again was something that I thought would be required. I just hope that I don't need to use too much "extra force" to persuade the splines to part company on the steering shaft.

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Posted by: hirot
Date: May 10, 2013 04:10AM

The bolts in the UJ sit in a groove in the steering shaft and so you need to turn the steering to undo them and then extract the bolts. You may need pleanty of WD40 and then a (tyre) leaver or wood/soft hammer to part the steering rods from the splines in the UJ. You probably have to undo the steering rack to give you manouvering room....and if you undo the rack there will be shims between the rack and the front cross member. These must go back exactly as they came out as they line up the steering shafts and the UJ. Also mark the shaft in the straight ahead position, both sides of the UJ so that you end up with the steering pointing correctly when you bolt it back together.

Disconnect the electrical connections between the loom and the column.

If it is the early steering column there are two bolts under the dashboard holding in the column, which when undone should allow the column to be withdrawn.

For the later rubber bumper types you will need to undo the 3 bolts that hold the base of the column in the footwell and the 3 bolts that hold the column to the underside of the dash. Again there are spacers with these bolts to align the steering shafts.

Once you have parted the UJ the column should come out easily.

I undid the rack bolts and then prised and gently tapped off the UJ then withdrew the the column.

Getting the steering wheel off can be challenge.

Regards Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 05:23AM by hirot.

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 16, 2013 07:26AM

Ian,

Thanks for the clear outline of a job that does not appear to be as straight forward as I had hoped. I thought as much that I might have to use a liberal dose of WD40 and a bit of "force" on the UJ. I was hoping not to have to remove the s/rack, however I can see that this may be the only way to split the UJ.

Regards ID

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Posted by: hirot
Date: May 16, 2013 12:12PM

I struggled to both part mine and get it back together. So when you get the U/J off clean all the splines and check to see how easy it will slide back on.

Enjoy

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 17, 2013 07:39PM

Thanks Ian,

It's a job I'm not looking forward to.

Regards ID

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.