74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
What years for a Mgb Gt are best for a swap!
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: May 14, 2013 08:31AM

Brenda likes the looks and space inside of the Mgb Gts. What should I look for in years? Where are the rust areas to look for? What kind of money should I pay, or what condition should a gt be in for a swap? Need some help since I'm not to familiar with the Gts.

Calvin

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: What years for a Mgb Gt are best for a swap!
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 14, 2013 08:37AM

Calvin, any year is a good year, but for different reasons so you need to decide what is most important to you. Ease of conversion, exterior appearance, rarity, type of bumpers, ride height, things of that nature.

Jim

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 14, 2013 09:27AM

Thanks Jim,

Do the earlier year Gts have a smaller engine bay than the later years like the roadsters? Brenda likes the looks of Dan Masters( bigger tires) Gt, flairs, stance, interior. She likes Larry S Gt also.My decision would be a 302 Ford or an Ls. The Ls I'm sure would be more work to fit, but I have more knowledge of that engine. Probably lean towards an Irs in the rear. As far as a dash...can you change them out to any year you like? I will need to search out what dash she likes most.

Anyway in the early stages and looking at Gts now on cl.

Calvin

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: May 14, 2013 11:18AM

I know this sounds wishy-washy Calvin but Jim is right, there are differences you need to take into account. Yes, there are differences between metal and rubber bumper MG's, particularity under the hood but a lot of us, me included, have put 302's in metal bumper cars. I believe there are differences in the transmission tunnel too but there again it hasn't presented me with any difficulty. Ford and Chevy have both been used but keep in mind the Chevy is 2" wider than the Ford. I've never owned a rubber bumper car but I understand the front cross member is different on rubber cars allowing you to drop the motor a little more. A good idea either way might be to use a front suspension from Fast Cars to complement the IRS. I've had my 72 for decades but if I were looking for another MG I would look for another metal bumper car because I like the overall stance and appearance. That part is just personal opinion and if you don't like the rubber they can be converted. If you're putting a V8 in it, keeping it original isn't your goal anyway. Either way it can be done and setting in the garage with your feet up engrossed in the planning phase is a lot of fun. Eventually though you have to get up and do something or answer to the wife. HAVE FUN and post all your questions and concerns here. I can't begin to tell you how valuable it has been to me!!

Paul

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Posted by: hirot
Date: May 14, 2013 11:43AM

Like the men say buy whichever takes your fancy, I like the look of chrome the best and have just converted rubber to chrome and put in a 3947cc Rover V8.

If you are going to put in a Buick/Rover then the rubber bumper engine mounts are in the right place and the front cross member is built up 1" higher which means the steering column misses the exhausts. The advantage of the Buick/Rover route is the bell housing mates straight onto a Rover SD1 gearbox or the later better R380 box. Also there are original Rover v8 gearboxes (beefed up 1800 MGB) that just fit on.

However, if you are going the Ford or Chevy route it really doesn't matter which you choose as you will have to make minor bodywork changes to shoe horn them in. You will also have to modify the gearbox tunnel to get the gearbox in.

Which ever body style you go for use the early single line braking system (pre 1975) as the duel line braking system fills too much of the engine bay and makes putting on the exhauts/headers a pain....if not nye on impossible.

There is a great book by Rodger Williams "How to give your MGB V8 Power" which helps allot.

You will have lots of hours of endless fun and tear your hair out trying to find bits.

Cheers

Ian

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 14, 2013 01:08PM

Brenda is right. GTs rock!

As a practical matter, you're far less likely to find a rubber bumper GT in North America. Although production continued into 1980, MG stopped exporting GTs to the United States before the 1975 model year. Rick Ingram's "74.5" GT is one of the few and the proud. Larry Shimp's car is a '68... although as I recall he grafted rubber bumper sheetmetal in. The big difference between chrome and rubber bumper engine compartments is at the top/inboard part of the footbox where the steering comes through... they're basically the same through the tunnel and changes at the radiator are relatively easily made. You're gonna cut out motor mounts in either case. Chrome bumper cars have different leafspring mounts (which you'd probably prefer) plus of course different crossmembers and steering racks.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 14, 2013 01:14PM

quote: early single line braking system (pre 1975)

North American cars got tandem brake systems in 1968. Values vary. I'm of the school who would upgrade single line cars to tandem brakes for a substantial safety enhancement.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 14, 2013 01:18PM

Well needless to say that was quick!!! Brenda bought a 71 gt with all new interior and painted black buy an owner of a body shop. We will need to travel for it ...its in NM , but I will able to see my son Nick at Kirtland Air Force base memorial weekend. Road trip ahead and jumping into the MG world with two extra hands with motivation. If Brenda is happy...I will be happy too. Back to a creative mind set to the journey ahead. I can vision the whole car now ..lol

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 14, 2013 02:24PM

Congratulations Calvin! There are some who think the '71 is the very best year. (Mostly based on the engine I think but some do like the style of the grille and the pillow dash better) If the grille and especially the hood trim is intact and in good shape, guard it with your life! Apparently that little chrome strip is impossible to find. If not, of course it can always be converted to the earlier grille, but this can get a little involved as fit can become an issue.

The '71 has the lower ride height and is the Mark-II version with enlarged transmission tunnel. It'll handle a T5 with no problem. The engine bay is pretty much the same as the Mark-I cars. The steering shaft will be your biggest issue with this car, usually requiring modification of the firewall cone and pinion shaft and occasionally relocation of the rack. See the MG-Roadmaster thread and my 340 thread for more radical mods. Also you will find a good discussion there on IRS where we looked at various types before settling on the Jag. You will want to look at your options for radiators as well.

You are going to have a GOOD time at British V8 this year.

Jim

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 14, 2013 02:52PM

Welcome to the Dark Side. Looking forward to meeting you at britishV8 2013 in Omaha.

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: May 14, 2013 03:18PM

Congrats Calvin, as we all know, when momma is happy everyone is happy!
If it turns out that you (she) doesn't care for the pillow dash, you can convert to a glove box style using a replacement 73 B dash pad assembly and glove box parts.
The hole for the glove box is all ready in the metal 71 dash frame so its not to bad of a job to do and IMO improves the looks and function of the dash dramaticly!
The 73 dash pads are aviliable new, but the glove box parts are a second hand items only.

Bill

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: May 14, 2013 10:11PM

Congrats Calvin! I had a 71 roadster before the 72 GT and often wish I had it back. Not enough to give up the GT but I liked the roadster. OK guys, I know they're really convertible and not roadsters, but I don't care, I like calling it a roadster.

Paul

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 14, 2013 10:13PM

Okay.. This is the wife speaking.. I am so excited about picking up my GT. I look forward to having a race with Calvin once we get the LS1 installed. Thank you to everyone for the support and your comments and helping us find the best suited GT. Not sure if were going to make it to Omaha this year even though we would really like to see everyone again.

Brenda GT.jpg

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: May 15, 2013 12:40AM

Calvin, Keith Tanner has a LS motor, and flares on his MGBGT.

[www.britishv8.org]

djw090
David Witham
Warwick UK
(115 posts)

06/12/2008 11:20AM

Main British Car:
MGB 1974 and MG ZT 160 turbo 2005

Posted by: djw090
Date: May 15, 2013 04:02AM

You don't need to remove as much metal as Keith Tanner did. Although the finished car looks great.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2013 08:18AM

That's a beauty Brenda. By all means you should definitely come to the meet. Where else are you ever going to have the chance to see so many details of so many finely done conversions? And the best advice I could possibly give you is to bring a good camera and spend as much time as possible taking lots and lots of pictures. When you think you have plenty, go back and take twice that many more. Believe me, once you start building your car you will want every one of them and there will be others you'll wish you'd taken. Just those pictures alone will be worth every inconvenience in getting there.

The '71s recessed grille is a pretty unique feature and that one appears to be in pretty good shape. That's a real good start.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2013 10:40AM

Looks like you got a really good one! I agree with Jim: of the MGB grilles, that one is the coolest. The MGB looks so much better without bumper overriders. I wonder what other car donated its side-view mirror...

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 15, 2013 12:24PM

Thank You everyone! If it takes getting a GT for Brenda to make it to BV8 2013, "It worked". We have been looking for some kind of project for a while now like MGB GT, and old hot rod like factory five 33 kit. I'm so glad we stayed with British and this group of people. We do feel at home!

So that being said, we will be attending BV8 2013 "Yes". We have two long haul road trips ahead of us now...one to pick up Brenda's GT memorial day weekend in NM!....Then to BV8 from the 8th to the 13th. We will also be entering our TR6 at UBSCC[www.ubscc.org] british car show the 19th this coming weekend (Sunday) in Dixon CA. We were going to another british car show the 8th in Nevada City, but way more happy that were going to BV8 meet.

Thank You everyone again in this thread and others that help nudge a little!!

Best place to talk with venders for parts!!!!

Calvin

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 15, 2013 07:49PM

Cool!

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: May 15, 2013 09:07PM

Brenda, It's Calvin's Birthday.....Oh that's right he has the TR6LS!
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.