(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Fuel Pump Preferences
Posted by: hirot
Date: July 04, 2013 01:47PM

With my continuing efforts to make this car extremely reliable I am looking to replace my fuel pump with one I can easily get in the UK and that its not too expensive as I will buy a spare.

I have a rover 3.9l with a 500 Edelbrock and all has gone well for the first 700 miles or so. However, drove 70 miles to see Clive Weatley and on my return after 60 miles the engine stopped. I checked and replaced the ignition module and stripped off the top of the carb and discovered there was no fuel.

I checked the voltage at the pump ( a brand new mgb v8 electronic Quentin Hazel) and it was 2 volts. Re-checked and there was a spark I had 12 volts and an inlet manifold full of bubbling petrol. It doesn't half disappear fast.... And then the car started and ran home. I had changed/touched nothing. I can only guess that it had got a little overworked as I had just done the last 20 miles at around 85mph.... Oops sorry 70mph.

So, I have looked at Facet pumps as I can easily get them here....all are too low or high for the Edelbrock and also found Holley/Carter/Edelbrock/Mallory ect ect. Some are noisyier than others I believe.

I am led to believe that rotary are better than ordinary pumps and wondered should I go over spec. ( 6-7.25psi) on a Facet and use a regulator or go under spec. on a Facet (4-5.5psi) or .....

Any suggestions will be greatly received.

Regards Ian

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Re: Fuel Pump Preferences
Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: July 04, 2013 05:57PM

If you checked and found low voltage and then checked again and got a spark and had 12 volts you have a bad connection somehwere if not at the pump itself.

If you buy Edelbrock, holley, carter pumps you should not need a spare.

I have all of the above fitted to my cars. The most quiet pump is the Edelbrock billet pump with integral filter and fuel pressure regulator.

If you dont mind a bit of pump noise a holley pump will be fine as they come a regulator.

You can get these pumps from Real Steel in Uxbridge middx or USA automotive in Bedford + a few other places.

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: July 04, 2013 07:19PM

I'm using an Edelbrock 1791 with a 525cfm carb. Reasonably quiet and hopefully long lived!

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 06, 2013 04:49AM

Thanks for the reply. I agree that I shouldn't need a spare but some of the British Leyand stuff can be a little unreliable. I have had 3 ignition modules fail, one straight out of its box, before I found the real Lucas version....which seems thus far to be OK.

The fuel pump stopping was a little strange as I really didn't touch anything when it burst into life and yes it should point to a bad connection. I just wondered if it had got a little warm and decided to take a rest. I will check again all connections.

I will look into how easy it is to buy Edelbrock/Holley/Carter in the UK.

Many Thanks.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: July 10, 2013 01:32AM

Ian,
at the risk of getting kicked out of the pool I, would suggest the old dual solenoid SU pump.
In order to retain a modicum of credibility I should explain myself.
The good old dual solenoid SU pump that was fitted to Jags, Rovers, Healeys etc. back in the day is a good candidate.
It is available, still, all over the UK.
It is rugged and reliable.
It flows enough fuel to supply 350 or so hp.
It's output is well matched to the Edelbrock carbs needs.
Compared to the competition it is relatively quiet.
It is easily rebuild-able.
As it's really two pumps siamesed together you have a built in redundancy.
It just plain looks cool.
And lastly if it does fail in the field it can literally be repaired with a nail file.
Hope that you will still respect me in the morning.
Fred

MGB-SBC-Jimmy
Jimmy Geske

(35 posts)

01/27/2011 08:02AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: MGB-SBC-Jimmy
Date: July 10, 2013 01:08PM

I have a variety of Holley pumps both "red" (no reg) and "blue" ( reg necessary) and they work great but are noisy even when rubber mounted. One car had a red holley on it when I bought it in 1990 with the early holley decal so its much older than that and it still works great! I recommend a relay when using the holleys.

I also have more than a few "facet" pumps, there are at least two pressure styles available, one around 2-3psi and the more typical 4+ psi style. I feel these are pretty quiet and I dont believe a relay is necessary for them as I havent had any trouble without one on them. Of the 4 that Ive owned, only one crapped out and it may have been a "copy" of the true Facet brand though it looked identical. Great for the street but not enough for track in my opinion.

I have a few Edelbrock carbs and I have always set my fuel pressure around 6 psi with no trouble, I think you can go up to 8psi with a holley before it pushes past the needle and seat.

The most economical choice would be the Facet and keep a spare for the sake of it as they run between 35-50 bux each and it will be an easy install in an emergency. For street AND strip/track use, I recommend the holley red. The only other pump Ive owned other then these was a Mallory 250 with is crazy (and very noisy) for street as it needed a reg, relay, and a return line. It was a strip car only and I replaced it with the holley blue as it was still more than enough for anything I run. Thats all I have for fuel pump experience, hope it helps a little bit,hehehe........
Jimmy

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 10, 2013 05:59PM

Today is someone's lucky day! (Shortcut to our classified section.)

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 13, 2013 01:01PM

Hi, thanks for the replies. Had settled for shelling out on the Edelbrock until Jimmys reply so maybe a couple of Facets will do. I might plumb two together using a Y piece and two ball valves. That should give real redundancy.

Only reason for the doubts on the fuel pump is that in 45 years of motoring I have only ever had four breakdowns. Two alternators failed (one was bearing failure) and two SU pumps. The pump failures have been in the last four years and both pumps were new. With the first SU I rebuilt it and set up the points etc, having spoken at lengths with SU and it still lasted less than 12 months. The second was with the later SU electronic type which lasted about 700 miles. So I have become a little twitchy especially as it is my day car.

Thanks Ian

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: July 13, 2013 07:35PM

I'm using a Carter gear pump (it's a bit noisy at idle but can't hear it once moving) from Summit Racing right now after the gas/ethanol mix trashed the check valve in my inline pump. The Facet pumps from Aircraft Spruce are used in a lot of light and ultralight aircraft. A friend has had a facet pump in his RV4 for years.

[www.aircraftspruce.ca]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 14, 2013 11:57AM

I have run SU, Carter, Walbro, Holley and the store brand generic Advance Auto pumps. For quiet operation, low cost and reliability with a carb I'd go with the AA unit for up to about 300 hp. But you really can't beat an in-tank EFI pump.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 15, 2013 10:42AM

Advance Auto part number E8012S worked well for me... for about two years. It is relatively quiet and cheap. It doesn't have a mounting bracket, so the easiest way to install it is with tie-wraps.

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: July 15, 2013 07:21PM

I had a Mallory pump that lasted for about 30,000 miles. The motor brushes wore out, I did purchase a replacement set of brushes, but I also bought a Holley Red pump. It appears that the Holley pump uses the same motor as the Mallory. It might be a good idea to check the brushes every few years and replace them as needed if using these pumps.

I tried a Carter pump, but it was too loud. But it should last forever. It needs to be mounted with the motor down so that the motor is always flooded with gasoline. The gasoline cools the motor and lubricates the brushes, just like an OEM fuel injection pump.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 17, 2013 01:25AM

Quote:
It needs to be mounted with the motor down so that the motor is always flooded with gasoline.

Interesting! I've seen them mounted the other way...

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 17, 2013 10:15AM

I'm not sure the Carter pump sends gasoline through the motor, but it could be they have made two versions.

Jim

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 17, 2013 05:37PM

The following quote is from the Carter website (notice the reference to a wet motor):

Rotary vane design

Originally created for military use, this design has been in production longer than any other Carter model. Rotating vanes driven by a heavy-duty wet motor deliver pressure from 4 to 18 psi at a flow rate of up to 100 gallons per hour. This provides excellent lift and prime capability. The pump is available in 6-, 12- and 24-volt versions. It is appropriate for RV, marine, agricultural, industrial and performance applications.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 17, 2013 09:23PM

I see. Well it does nothing to make it quieter. I think I still have mine on the shelf with the other used fuel pumps. I was very happy to go to a quieter pump. There was nothing I could do to kill the noise. Odd thing though, IIRC I believe it was sometimes loud and sometimes not.

Jim

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: July 18, 2013 11:50AM

Over the 40 years I've owned my GT I've been through a number of fuel pumps and remember thinking all along that they felt and sounded like someone was beating on the car with a ball peen hammer. I often wished I could install a mechanical pump but that isn't an option with the 4, and not much better with a V8. I gave thought a couple of times of enclosing the pump to deaden the sound or mounting it on rubber but never did anything about it; probably just overheat anyway. I haven't purchased my fuel pump yet, so I've been following this thread with great interest. Thank you all for the valuable info!

Paul

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 18, 2013 04:32PM

I agree with Jim. My Carter is annoyingly loud. I don't feed enough horsepower to need to listen to that. I think I want a Facet.

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 21, 2013 01:16PM

Any gear type pump is quiet. The rotary vane pumps tend to be very noisy. Facet pumps are quiet...

Graham B
Graham Bingham
Draycott, Derbyshire, UK
(63 posts)

09/19/2008 08:26AM

Main British Car:
1974 Triumph Spitfire Rover 3.5litre V8

Posted by: Graham B
Date: July 22, 2013 03:25PM

To throw another name into the melting pot, I have a Mitsuba pump and have a Sytec Proflow pressure regulator between that and an Edelbrock performer 500 carb.
The pump makes a ticking noise whilst priming the carb, but once the engine is running you can't hear it.

Graham B
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.