06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Re: Fuel Pump Preferences
Posted by: hirot
Date: August 18, 2013 02:17PM

The final solution.

Having decided to go the Red Top Facet route, with a higher pressure I needed a regulator and having looked under the bonnet/hood decided it was going to be too hard to fit, re work pipes and keep cool. So I settled for the Edelbrok which seems to work fine and is quiet. I left in the MGB pump and plumbed them both in using T connectors and ball valves. So now I have redundancy always assuming the MGB pump works again.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: August 18, 2013 10:28PM

Hello it's me Mr. Ahlstrom I think I've tried every kind of fuel pump there is over the years on different cars shopping for fuel pumps is like looking for a pair of shoes there are a lot of different ones out there one rule of Thum that I use is to get a pump that you can replace on a road trip 1000 miles from home in any town you might be in when it dies not if it dies there are some really good fuel pumps out there if you want to spend big money the Holley blue or red rotary vain pumps are a good pump that will support a lot of horsepower my car being a nitrous car has to have sufficient fuel pressure if it goes lean on the bottle the motor will go boom. Here is what I found to be a good little trick Holley pumps normally the bypass valve is set at 14 to 16 pounds the pump's are struggling chewing itself up and running its bypass valve if you remove the bypass valve spring shorten it slightly it relieves the pressure and strain on the pump I run a Holley blue pump with the spring cut back to 11 pounds it cut the noise of the pump in half it has been in the car three years and not died yet is the first one that ever lasted more than a year and a half when it does die on the road I can find one any parts store and change it in 10 minutes most carbureted motors do not need more than five or 6 pounds of pressure my nitrous system needs 8 to 10 pounds so I run the pump bypass at 11 pounds I put a new Holley blue pump on a Corvette for my neighbor a few months back in stock out-of-the-box the bypass was at 19 pounds and it was the loudest Holley pump I've ever heard I cut his spring back to 7 pounds in his pump is now quieter than mine I don't know if that will help you at all but that's the experience this Swedish hillbilly has had with fuel pumps I have also-ran offbrand Holly look-alike pumps that ran just fine no different than a Holley probably made in the same place just a different label

MGB-SBC-Jimmy
Jimmy Geske

(35 posts)

01/27/2011 08:02AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: MGB-SBC-Jimmy
Date: August 19, 2013 12:14PM

Thanks Tom for your reply! I always wondered if I could bring the psi output down on the holley style pumps. I even called Holley to ask them if I could put the red pump spring in the blue style and they didnt give me a stright answer but with what youve discovered answers that for me, Thanks!

Addicted
Mike Hagadorn
Warren PA
(132 posts)

09/27/2013 03:46PM

Main British Car:
1976 TR7 Victory Edition Ford 302

Posted by: Addicted
Date: May 12, 2014 10:13AM

I'm digging up old threads, but that's better than starting the discussion again from scratch.

So I put a MrGasket 95P fuel pump on my 302 ford powered TR7. I have a holley carb, which is supposed to have 5-7PSI fuel pressure if I recall correctly.

The 95P is really loud, so I'm looking for another option. I was considering an Airtex solenoid pump (E8012S or E8016S), but neither seem to have the right fuel pressure range. The 8012 goes to 9PSI, and the 8016 goes to 4.5PSI. I'm leaning toward the 4.5PSI version (E8016S). Is that a bad choice?

The other option I'm considering is the Airtex E8004 rollervane pump. That one is a 35GPH, 6PSI pump. Seems about right. I spoke to tech support at Airtex, and asked about noise and reliablity. He said the 8012 or 8016 is very reliable if it is mounted close to the tank (within 2 feet or so) with a 60-70 micron pre-filter. He said any of those three pumps should be much quiter than the Holley Red/Blue style pumps (like the MrGasket 95P I have now). Has anyone tried the E8004 pump?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2014 10:15AM by Addicted.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: May 13, 2014 11:20AM

I have been running the same E8012S fuel pump on my 3.9L V8 gt for over 10 years...I keep a spare in the trunk but never had to use it...the only time I hear it is when I turn on the ignition prior to start up....

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 13, 2014 11:30AM

Quote:
the only time I hear it is when I turn on the ignition prior to start up
Oh, how I need one of those! :)

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: May 13, 2014 02:11PM

Carl...you have to consider that I can't hear out of my right ear and the left isn't much better (I actually suggested to my wife that we we purchase a RHD car so I could hear her conversation better with my left ear...no, she did not take the bait) The Airtex E8012S is usually available at the chain parts stores for @ $50....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.