Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

PJ’s MG 2013 Oregon Trail Road trip
Posted by: lawnvett
Date: July 06, 2013 12:59AM

Brenda and I enjoyed a tasty meal with George and Janie in Black Mountain, NC near Asheville after crossing rain swollen creeks and rivers on our drive from Winston-Salem.

Both the Yadkin and Catawba rivers were over their banks and the stream near our hotel is boiling with white water.

The westward MG adventure is underway and so far not underwater, despite widespread flash flood warnings.

Tomorrow we will have some splendid back roads full of elevation changes and highway warning signs that display snake like symbols; just the type of roads out MGs were designed to challenge. We will traverse the Appalachian and the Smoky mountains on our way toward Nashville, TN.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: PJ’s MG 2013 Oregon Trail Road trip
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 06, 2013 01:12AM

Sounds great! Will you be posting photos? If not, please at least keep the colorful adjectives coming!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 06, 2013 07:14AM

photos tomorrow, wifi permitting

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 06, 2013 08:10AM

PJ, y'all were only an hour & fifteen minutes from here. Have a great trip!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 06, 2013 07:37PM

From Black Mountain, NC to Crossville, TN 38555
Wipe, wipe, the windscreen, have you ever counted the repetitions per hour as you drive your MG through heavy rain storms and Thunder storms, well I didn't either but I was grateful that they performed as designed and that we arrived safely at the end of day two (for me) of the trip to meet up in Independence, MO for the Oregon Trail Tour to MG 2013.
Was hoping to show you some scenic photos of the mountains but the weather just didn't cooperate. We did a a few sunbursts.
Eastbound NC to OR Blk Mt NC.jpg
Eastbound NC to OR TN.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: July 06, 2013 07:41PM

Keep on truckin' !!!

Keep on truckin.jpg

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: July 07, 2013 12:09PM

I keep forgetting about that Moss thing!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 08, 2013 12:09AM

The rain ended and we had a delightful tour of The Lane motor car Museum and the exhibit of Sensuous Steel at The Frisk museum both in Nashville.
Then on to meet an MG friend in Clarksville Tennessee, many of you know Mickey.
Stopped for a Moss Scavenger hunt photo at the Clarksville Police Dept and one of the officers came out to talk MGs.
And finally drove to Paducah Kentucky for an overnight.
Completed nearly 800 miles of this road trip.
The sunshine sure was nice after all the rain we drove through.
Mickey & PJ in Clarkesville, TN.jpg
PJ,George and a Cop MG enthusiast.jpg
Lane Museum, Knoxville,TN.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 08, 2013 11:11PM

We strolled the river side murals, visited the quilt museum, and checked out a few shops in Paducah, KY before observing the 25 mph speed limit on the blue steel bridge over the Ohio River into Illinois.

Next we stumbled upon the award winning 17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro, IL on our way to a river ferry crossing of the Mississippi that was not to be. I called earlier in the day to verify that the ferry was running and was assured it was, but a few hours later after some back roads driving along the levee we found out that some trouble had occurred. Ironically we had just passed the state forest named Trail of Tears. Only about 200 miles today, allowing time for sightseeing and ferry misadventures

.PJ Lenihan
pjlenihan@me.com
mobile 336.462.1147
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved MG , but rather to skid in sideways - body and drive train thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Ohio River Paducah, KY to IL.jpg
Modoc, IL to ST Genevieve, MO Miss River.jpg
Trail of Tears.jpg
Welcome to Missouri.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 10, 2013 12:17AM

The back roads were scenic, twisty, and more fun than expected on our drive from Farmington, MO to Independence, MO. Heat index of over 100 F caused some discomfort, but wasn't too bad for your scribe who has Moss A/C in his 1974 MGB/GT. About eight hours elapsed from hotel to hotel during which we visited Powell Gardens on US 50 east of Kansas City www.powellgardens.org Tonight we are at the "jumping off point" hotel The Truman INN. Bob Lewis has also arrived as has John Hatch. Others are expected soon.
Tomorrow morning we will tour the Harry Truman library and homestead, the attend a BBQ hosted for us at Victoria British. (just had to include the Harry Potter director of Brooms photo from my last visit)
Then it's off we go on the OR trail.
Harry Potter VB.jpg
Powell Gardens from tower.jpg
Another friendly cop MG 2013.jpg
Rosebud,MO.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: July 10, 2013 11:29AM

Have fun!

[www.youtube.com]

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 10, 2013 10:47PM

We had a little time to let the trusty MGs rest while we visited the Harry Truman Library and Museum. I like to read historical biographies and had recently read one on Mr. Truman so this was a treat for me.
We were the guest of Victoria British for a BBQ also attended by the local clubs, thanks to all who made this enjoyable evening possible. Tomorrow we drive to, Nebraska.Kearny
along the Oregon Trail.jpg
L to R John, Harry Truman, PJ, George.jpg
Entering Kansas.jpg
Car show Victoria British.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 11, 2013 09:26PM

Looks like quite an adventure. Rock on!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 11, 2013 11:46PM

What fun we had today covering 380 miles starting in Independence, MO and using mostly back roads to Kearney, Nebraska; where we were join by three more MGs that drove up from the British car club of Wichita.

Some people say that we are brave or foolish to drive these old cars in this hot weather but just think what it was like for the 50,000 pioneers who traveled this path on foot with all their earthly belogings in a covered wagon.
Historic OR trai Marker Kansas.jpg
Kearney, NE    OR trail gathering.jpg
York NE.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 12:39AM by lawnvett.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 12, 2013 08:16PM

Our day began early and then after the first 100 miles, Dan from North Platte provided a comfort stop for all of us "along the Oregon Trail" travelers this morning. He served cold beverages for the people and oil for the MGs. Thank you Dan

I read in one of the National Park Service Oregon Trail brochure about the psychologically uplifting feelings Reported in the diaries and letters of the mid 19th century Oregon Trail travelers when they finally saw the bluffs and mountains and after so many weeks on the flat prairies and plains. Even though for me it's only been a few days of flat land; seeing the bluffs In western Nebraska all along the north Platte River and then mountains in Wyoming was very uplifting this afternoon.

I had an elk cross the road in front of me today, while driving on Wyoming Highway 26 about half an hour east of I-26. We are in Douglas, WY tonight.
MG & covered wagon.jpg
Dalton, NE Oregon Trail.jpg
Oregon Trail group at Dan's car show.jpg
State line WY.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 13, 2013 07:48PM

As we continued our trek westward following roughly the path of the brave pioneers who followed the Oregon Trail over 150 years ago we can find many places where the wagon wheel ruts are still present. About mid-day today we crossed the continental divide at about 7000 altitude, I also
crossed it last week in the Blue Ridge mountains of NC.
Ayers Natural Bridge was one of many scenic stops along the way, cool water and shade were appreciated. We passed by Independence Rock where more than 5000 adventures have carved their names in the granite, and the Fort Casper Museum and historic site. Distance travelled today about 350 miles.
OR trail overnight for 7-12-13.jpg
Ayers Natural Bridge.jpg

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: July 14, 2013 07:04PM

Hey P.J.,

Nice photos and glad you had a good trip. You were 30 minutes from me in Black Mountain. It still hasn't stopped raining since you were here.

Tim

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 15, 2013 01:15AM

Starting out in Wyoming we drove over to the state line in Utah for another state photo for the Moss motors scavenger hunt. While heading back to highway 30 we had several wildlife sitings: hawks, bald eagle, jackrabbit, and a herd antelope, a road sign had identified the area as "open prairie". Touring the Oregon California Trail Center gave us a step back in time experience to see and feel what it was like to be a pioneer in 1852. This evening our group walked to a Mexican restaurant a block from tonights hotel in Twin Falls, ID. I think we needed a stretch after plenty of 'seat time' in our little British cars.
Utah 4 MGs.jpg
Oregon Train Center.jpg
open praire Utah.jpg
a dozen MGs in Twin Falls MG 2013.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 16, 2013 12:28AM

Twin Falls Idaho to Pendleton Oregon
The along the Oregon Trail group.
On the way to MG 2013 Corvallis Oregon.
Followed the Snake River for much of the day. As we approached Baker City Oregon we caught a view of the Blue Mountains. I followed the Hells Canyon scenic Highway to an Oregon Trail interpretive center. I enjoyed two hours of live performances, short films and displays.
Our group assembled at the Elvis Cafe for our evening meal and finalized our plans to drive along the Columbia river to Portland, Oregon. From Portland we will all meet at the official end of the Oregon Trail then drive on to the MG-2013 event in Corvallis.
Twin Falls, ID Oregon Trail.jpg
Oregon welcome center.jpg
Oregon Trail Interpetive Center.jpg
Hells Caynon.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 17, 2013 12:41AM

Well by gosh we did it, and what a ride. I thought about sliding sideways into the Hotel parking lot here in Corvallis but there were so many good looking MGBs I didn't want to crash into any of them.

The pioneers circled their wagon each night for security so we thought it only fitting that we sorta circled our MGs at the interpretive center that marks the end of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City. Then we hammed it up a little, at the appropriate sign.

Another stop was in Independence, OR named after the "jumping off point" where the pioneers started in Independence, Missouri.

Now that we have arrived let the festivities begin for 4 days of MG fun!

Special thanks to John Hatch for organizing and leading the along the Oregon Trail tour; even if he did drive in the comfort of a 2005 Jag sedan.
End of the Trail.jpg
Circle the MG wagons.jpg
Oregon City Police.jpg
MGs & people at end of Oregon Trail.jpg
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.