John Montgomery

(22 posts)

01/11/2010 01:29PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Roadster 3.5L British Leyland V8

TR6 Wheels on an MGB
Posted by: Johnous
Date: July 22, 2013 12:53PM

Please pardon me if this discussion has already taken place, but my searches thus far have been unfruitful. I am in love with the old steel disc look on the 60's MGBs and want to upgrade to a 15" wheel to improve my 78's future flexibility for brake improvements. I even toyed with buying some custom steel smoothies or artillery wheels, but want to stick with the classic 60's british look.

I have taken a particular liking to the Triumph TR6 wheels, which are 6"x15" with a 4x4.5" bolt pattern from what I can tell. Has anybody had luck fitting these to an MGB without modifying the hubs? My main concern is offset (~12mm for the TR6, and ~22mm for the MGB). Keep in mind I am gathering this information from online, so the numbers may not be entirely reliable...

Put on some chrome moon caps and a nice trim ring, and I think these may be perfect for my needs. Now, I know the obvious answer is to buy a wheel and try it on, but before getting something delivered home I wanted to check with you fine folks. Any help is appreciated.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: TR6 Wheels on an MGB
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: July 22, 2013 01:18PM

John, I have never tried this but, if your numbers are correct (+12 for TR and +22 for MGB) that would put the triumph wheel 1/2" further out, away from the hub...I doubt you would have a problem with the front, but I would measure how much distance you currently have between the outside edge of the rear tire and the rear fender lip...not sure about the ID of the hub, you would need to find that out, also, is there clearance for the calipers on the front wheels....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.