(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Header bolts backing out
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 06, 2013 06:12PM

I've been experiencing header bolts backing out of my Buick 300 heads, especially on #3 cylinder.

Wonder if any of you have tried these bolts and what your opinion is?

[www.summitracing.com]

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Re: Header bolts backing out
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: October 06, 2013 06:21PM

Can't speak to the one's in your link but I use Stage 8 (last 3 projects) and they work as advertised.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 06, 2013 08:51PM

How many many miles do you have on the car Rick? And how many times have you retorqued them? I was having the same problem & got some locking bolts. But i got advice not to install the locks till I'd gone through several heat cycles & retorqed them a few times. Did that & now they don't back out -- never even installed the locks.

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: October 06, 2013 09:31PM

Rick, I did the same as Rob. Have over 6500 miles on the car and re-torqued the header bolts four times over about a two week period, getting a small amount of movement the first three times and none the fourth. I had drilled the stainless bolts for safety wire before installation but haven't put the wire on yet. May get to it over the winter.
Phil

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: October 07, 2013 09:20AM

Same as others...tighened 5 times...now they stay tight.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: October 07, 2013 09:23AM

I'll echo Rob and Phil's post. Takes 3 or 4 attempts at retorquing before the gasket settles in and the fasteners hold torque....but those fancy lock bolts will work too!

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: October 07, 2013 01:04PM

I don't think is the gasket settling, I think it is heat, moisture, rust thus keeping the bolt in place. But it does work after a few cycles of re-torquing the bolts.

One drop (small drop) of blue Loctite the first time install will keep them in place.

rubbinisracin
Ivan Collins

(38 posts)

03/19/2013 09:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rubbinisracin
Date: October 07, 2013 06:42PM

Some of mine backed out and fell out within the first few miles, I had to keep re-torquing. I eventually got bolts with drilled heads and I safety wire all of them. I think the problem I am having though is my header rubs the frame a little and therefore they they get worked a little under acceleration. You might check to be sure you don't have a clearance issue on the headers or the rest of the system for that matter.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 08, 2013 04:32AM

Okay... This thread has convinced me I was right to save my money and simply use regular grade 8 bolts, and with anti-seize at that!

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: October 08, 2013 06:10AM

I did use anti-seize but just grade 5 stainless bolts. Not a lot of torque involved but antiseize is always a good ideal, especially going into aluminum. Remember that torque requirements are usaully smaller when bolts are lubed with anti-seize or some other lubricant.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: October 08, 2013 12:06PM

Thanks for the tip Phil. I don't have aluminum heads yet put was thinking of going that route this winter At $35 for a set of 12 (I couldn't find a price on the set of 16) I might save my money for something else and go with grade 8 too. Still, they do look pretty cool.

Paul

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 08, 2013 12:26PM

This is a big issue with the I-H crowd and we did some serious evaluation of it over the years. Two big issues became apparent, well three if you count rust separately. Gasket compression was a big factor, even with steel shim gaskets (stock) as they would flatten out completely. Gasket blow-out was a factor if the bolts were not tightened regularly until all compression was eliminated, and even then the seal was never completely reliable. Use of the later Rover multi-layer stainless steel shim gaskets eliminates this problem for many of us and I cannot recommend those enough. Truly a breakthrough solution, these do not take a set and are reusable, meaning it is a permanent remedy. Rover is to be commended for this in spite of the cost which is quite high, but it should be remembered that this is a one time purchase and eliminates a lot of woes and labor. The metallurgical issues in header bolts are another big deal. It was found that grade 8 did not fare as well long term as grade 5 primarily because they were more prone to corrosion and would stick and then break off. Stainless, although corrosion resistant, was prone to galling. There was never found any single ideal solution, most favoring grade 5, some favoring stainless, but in every case liberally coated with a high grade anti-seize coating. I personally like the stainless because it eliminates the rust problem and the strength is similar to the grade 5.

Thermal expansion was found to be an issue and we were dealing with iron head engines and usually iron manifolds. The Grade 8 had a lower coefficient of expansion and would tend to loosen when cold where the grade 5 and stainless was less likely to, and this could and did result in tensile failures where expansion of the manifold literally pulled the head off the bolt. With an aluminum head it would more likely result in pulled threads. We also resorted to such remedies as long bolts using high temperature die springs and stacks of alternating flat and lock washers to form a heat shield for the spring, to place a constant load on the gasket but still allow some movement. These type of remedies did work, but in much the same way as the stainless shim gaskets mentioned above.

Jim

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: October 10, 2013 11:47PM

I had a few old Y block Fords years ago that used studs on the exhaust with conical washers and what looked like brass but was probably Marine bronze nuts. Never loosened and when time to rebuild removed easily. The conical washer create tension like a spring and the bronze nuts didn't gall. These were cast iron manifolds but, I always thought they would work just as well for headers.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 12, 2013 02:14PM

Found the lost header bolt...it was lying in the frame rail channel next to the firewall. It probably backed out during the trek to and from Michigan....amazing that it found a cozy spot in the car rather than commit suicide by falling on the road!

I needed the hands of a six-year-old to get the bolt back into its spot on the header....but managed with out drawing any blood.

Everything now torqued up...we'll see what happens.

BTW...these are aluminum Buick 300 heads with stainless steel RV8 headers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 09:44PM by mowog1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.