(561 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Re: LS4 Into an MGB
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: March 16, 2014 06:39PM

Made a little more progress again this weekend. This first shot shows the right hand side manifold pretty much welded up. The only welding remaining is the front primary tube (#2) to the flange. Not real happy with the welds but there shouldn't be many leaks if any. I'll check for leaks after I finish the front tube.

LS4PassSideHeaderDone.JPG

This next picture shows the other side of the fender well.

LS4PassSideExhaust.JPG

Didn't quite have the time to finish the exhaust back to the existing portion I have done but really close. I hope one more session will get me there for both sides. It is time consuming but I'm not complaining.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: March 18, 2014 06:57PM

You just increase your engine torque with the Tri Y header set up. nice.

Planing on doing the similar for the headers for our V8 Ford kit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 06:59PM by classic conversions.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: March 26, 2014 07:54PM

Got to within about 2-3 hrs. of completing the headers/manifolds and joining them up with my existing exhaust. Here is the drivers side in the wheel well.

LS4WheelWellDS.JPG

Except for completing the welding on the collector flange on this header/manifold, both sides are complete. I just need to finish the driver's side down pipe back to the existing exhaust and I should be there. I'm going to hold off for just a little bit on the O2 bungs. I want to get the wiring routed to make sure I have them in the optimum spot. This next picture gives an overhead view of the engine with the manifolds in place.

LS4EngineHeaderTop.JPG

This next picture shows a top view of the engine/firewall. (I suddenly got the idea of doing overhead shots if you haven't noticed :) )

LS4TopFirewallView.JPG

So I've been planning how I want to handle the remaining tasks and decided to finish the wiring harness and getting it completely installed in the car...this really isn't a change. After the wiring will be putting the firewall back together and then doing most of the engine tasks which, as I've mentioned before, include a new timing cover, front and rear crank seals, swapping the valve covers from side to side, mounting flywheel/clutch and other minor tasks. The goal is to get the engine permanently installed and then handle the remaining tasks. If I get the above done by the beginning of June, I may have an outside chance of making the meet. I just noticed Larry's post about the dyno at the V8 Meet and I'd sure like to get this thing on one.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 26, 2014 08:24PM

Scott, thanks for the new engine bay view!

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 01, 2014 08:04PM

The exhaust is more or less done. It was a bit of a frustrating weekend. What should have taken around 2 hours ended up taking about 5. Then I was just about done welding things up and ran out of welding wire. Oh well. I didn't get very good pictures either unfortunately. I ran out to the garage quickly during lunch and snapped a few. Here is one of the driver's side down pipe.

LS4Exhaust1.JPG

It and the rest of the exhaust are all bolted together and on the car so it was good seeing that. I'll need about another hour or so to finish welding it up.

I bolted the coils back on the heads and set the intake on the engine in preparation for continuing with the wiring. It's nice to see it sort of back together now with the manifolds in place....as I keep saying, bit by bit.

LS4WiringHarnessStart.JPG

I'm in the process of mounting the throttle body so I can get the wiring to it done. I hope to start to see some major progress on the wiring in the next couple of weeks. I've got a list of stuff to get at the junkyard including pieces for the harness so I'll have to plan a trip for this month.

On a slightly different subject, I have to get the drive shaft shortened by about a 1/2"-3/4". Found a local place that will do it so that is on the list now too.

I hope the pace picks up a little now that the weather is starting to warm up. I am really pleased that I was able to make as much progress as I did considering the lousy weather we've had this winter. I think I was able to accomplish something every weekend I had time to work on the car.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: April 02, 2014 09:28AM

Scott,

Keep going you are making good progress. The exhaust is a exhausting process for sure. You now will feel everthing will move faster. Can't wait to see first start up video. This will put a big smile on your face for all your labor involved. :-)

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 02, 2014 12:13PM

Quote:
Can't wait to see first start up video. This will put a big smile on your face for all your labor involved. :-)

Thanks Calvin. If I can catch a couple of breaks, I hope to experience that event sometime in June. :)

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 06, 2014 11:55AM

Wiring is well underway now. Here is a front shot showing the current status.

LS4FrontWiringHarness.JPG

Here are a couple showing both sides.

LS4PassSideWiring.JPG
LS4DriveSideWiring.JPG

The injectors and coils are all wired up. The TPS, IAC, MAP, and crank sensor wires need to be shortened. Still need to wire up the MAF, cam sensor, O2 sensors and knock sensors. Of course a fuse box will be needed to power everything like the PCM, injectors, coils, fuel pump and O2 sensor heaters. The alternator will be mounted on the passenger side and that wiring will be added to the passenger side as well. I've got some high temperature wiring harness wrap that I'll use on everything once the harness is done. It's really starting to look like a part of the car now, if you know what I mean?

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: April 06, 2014 01:26PM

Scott, your work looks great! I'll drink a DIckel & 7-Up just to toast your craftsmanship!. Guess Arite will have to wait also. Until we meet again:-)

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 07, 2014 07:03AM

Thanks Kelly! I'm all in for some Dickel & 7! :)

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 13, 2014 02:05PM

Spent most of yesterday at the junkyard so didn't get a lot done wiring wise. Got some terminals for the fuse box I'm using and several plugs that were missing.....O2 sensor, knock sensor, and alternator. Also got an alternator mount from a V6 car that will be adapted to the LS4 and picked up a throttle cable and throttle pedal too. I'll go into more details about these things later on. Of course I forgot something even though I had it on my list...OBD2 data link connector, oh well.

Did get something accomplished though, pretty much finished the throttle body adapter. Here's a picture of the throttle body in place.

LS4ThrottleBody.JPG

Here's one with of the adapter plate itself.

LS4ThrottleBodyAdapterPlate.JPG

I realize it's not perfect...the whole build is "blue collar" to some extent, especially compared to what Calvin and Brenda are doing, but I'm not taking the time to make things perfect. What is there will work and that is what is important to me at this point.

Just about everything is in here now so the wiring can be completed. For the next couple of sessions that will be the focus. I'm going to take Jim Stabe's suggestion and go with the F6 wiring loom stuff. Should look good.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: April 13, 2014 06:25PM

Scott, You're making steady progress! I'm looking forward to the water pump/front pulley solution. You will be starting it up before you know it!

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: April 22, 2014 09:14PM

Made some great progress last weekend but not much you can really show with pictures at this point. Here is one that shows the completed wiring at the front of the motor.

LS4WiringHarnessProgress.JPG

Except for the O2 sensors VSS, and knock sensors, all the engine controls/sensors are wired. Next on the list is getting the fuse box squared away and the grounds securely bundled and bolted to the block. Here's a picture of the fuse box that will be used.

LS4FuseBox.JPG

The engine harness itself will be pretty much stand alone when it is complete. Power to the fuse box will come off the starter solenoid for those components that require power when the key is off and from a white wire on the B harness for those components that require key on power like the injectors, coils, and fuel pump. The alternator warning light will be wired to the alternator plug, the engine speed output from the PCM will be wired to the tach and the B coolant temperature sensor will mounted and wired into the passenger side head. That's pretty much it as far as the interface to the existing harness is concerned, not counting the wiring to the starter. Hope to have more pictures and details as progress is made.

MGBGT?
Artie Clark
Miller Place, New York
(24 posts)

05/01/2014 02:14PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.5L V8

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBGT?
Date: May 01, 2014 03:40PM

Hey Scott,
Really nice work! You've got some talent!
I was wondering about how you were going to get filtered air into the throttle body. May I suggest moving the radiator forward & tilting it back just like a late C4 Corvette, then use a late C4 Corvette air cleaner box. It's specially designed for hood clearance with an oval intake over the radiator support as per the attached photos.
DSCN0108.JPG
DSCN0109.JPG
DSCN0110.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 07:33PM by MGBGT?.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: May 01, 2014 07:49PM

Hey Artie! Glad you're here and thanks for the complement! Thank you for the suggestion as well! I'm actually moving in that direction.

I have three main goals in mind for this project; no modifications to the bonnet (hood for you Corvette guys :-) ), keep the steering rack in the stock location, and the radiator pretty much in it's current location. So I'm really going to be working to avoid moving the radiator forward. What I'm planning longterm is to fabricate a fiberglass snout very much like what you are suggesting which will go over the radiator and then fabricate an air box for a flat air filter in front of that....with the MAF in the middle...kind of hard to put into words. I'll be lowering the radiator about an inch. This will be an early phase 2 task though. For the short term, I'll use a rubber duct of some sort and a cone air filter. Won't look great but it will duct clean air to the engine. That's the plan for now.

On another subject, the wiring harness is ever so close. Hope to finish and get some pictures up soon.

Take care

Scott

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: May 01, 2014 08:02PM

Looks like you've been cleaning your engine again! :)

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: May 02, 2014 10:05AM

Hey Scott,

I have the air cleaner somewhere that I got off the Camaro Ls1 from the Tr6. I will find it measure and post some photos of it. Maybe you can use it for the cost of shipping? It is setup like you had mentioned in your plan. Maybe you can make it work somehow. I believe I have the ducting that goes with it too.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: May 02, 2014 10:48AM

Hi Calvin,

If you have the time I'd love to see some pictures. Definitely interested if it looks like it could work.

Thank you!

Scott

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 02, 2014 04:06PM

I really like the over the radiator snorkle approach.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Date: May 04, 2014 10:32AM

Quote:
I really like the over the radiator snorkle approach.

So do I Carl. It's going to be really tight though. It would be easier with the MAF behind the radiator so I'm thinking that I need to get an LS1 or LS6 manifold first as they place the throttle body further back. Again, this will be a phase 2 task.

Didn't get too much time to work on the car, it's the wife's birthday weekend. I did get the F6 stuff and started installing it on the harness. Here are a few pictures.

LS4Conversion 068.jpg

LS4Conversion 070.jpg

I really like the look and it's pretty easy to install too. You have to melt the ends once you cut them as it looks like the material could unravel. One other benefit is it comes apart easily if you need to get into the wiring for some reason.

The mess you see on the left in the second picture isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Everything is labeled and, for the most part, ready. The fuse box connectors are done except for the cooling fan relay signal from the PCM. Just need to put the connector on it. Also, the OBD2 connector power needs to be run to the fuse box as well. Other than that, 4 or 5 miscellaneous tasks need to be completed and the wiring should be done. I hope to get the motor ready to pull by the end of next weekend with a little bit of luck. Next up is putting the firewall back together.
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.