Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
So very classy! Scott Wooley's Ford 289 Powered MGB
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 27, 2013 02:36PM

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ScottWooley/ScottWooley-AA.jpg

Quote:
We don't usually like engine swaps, but this one is different...

That's how a run-of-the-mill old car magazine would introduce this car. However, Scott Wooley's MGB deserves the praise and accolades which would follow. The MGB's charm has been retained even while old-school and innovative hot-rod details have been combined in thought-provoking and inspirational new ways. Without further comment, I'm pleased to announce another very fine addition to BritishV8's Photo Gallery and How-It-Was-Done Series:

Scott Wooley's Ford 289 Powered 1970 MGB

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ScottWooley/ScottWooley-BA.jpg

(For the record: we LOVE engine swaps!)

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Re: So very classy! Scott Wooley's Ford 289 Powered MGB
Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: October 27, 2013 03:54PM

Another extremely well done car !!!
Dave

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 27, 2013 04:15PM

Yep, very nice!

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: October 27, 2013 04:36PM

Beautiful!

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: October 27, 2013 06:25PM

WOW!

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: October 28, 2013 03:12AM

Makes me wish I had my convertible back! Of course it never looked like that. Very nice job.

Paul

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: October 29, 2013 04:50AM

So good to see an engine bay that just contains an engine... instead of a spaghetti of pipes, hoses, wires, cables, and plasticky doohickusses, with an engine somewhere underneath.

Even the roll bar(s) look as if they belong.
Excellent.

Ivor

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 30, 2013 12:54AM

Looks great Scott. I haven't had a chance to digest the full write up but am looking forward to reading through it -- you clearly did great work.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 30, 2013 07:55PM

I really like the cold air intake, what a neat idea!

Paul

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 31, 2013 10:40AM

I think that was Curtis' brainchild.

Jim

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 31, 2013 03:15PM

Absolutely, Jim! I've asked Curtis questions about what he used to do it. I just thought the reversed scoop was a good addition and might reduce the things I have to make from scratch. I was planning on putting an Odyssey battery on the firewall there so I would need to reroute the ducting.

Paul

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: November 10, 2013 12:41AM

Some people are blessed with the talent of keeping an engine bay clutter free all while boosting its automotive art deco look; congratulations Scott, job well done!

murarri
Dan Murphy

(6 posts)

11/08/2013 01:18PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: murarri
Date: November 14, 2013 05:29PM

The car looks amazing!!!
I read that Scott used basically stock suspension, brakes and rear end. Any thoughts on how this car will handle, stop and will the rear end hold up to the power. It seems like the path of least resistance as far as money and time, but I'm wondering how it all works together. I'm thinking that these systems could be upgraded one by one, but is it necessary? THOUGHTS?

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: November 15, 2013 11:52AM

Dan,
Yes, I have a thought there. And it was probably on your mind as well as many other persons too. You obviously read the "Features and Specifications" part of Scott's HIWD article, not just look at the great photos of a beautiful car.

How it all works together you ask? I'm sure as well as an original 1970 MGB but with more power behind it. Will the rear end hold up? Depends on how you drive it. Handling? Depends on what you ask from it and how you drive it.

I'm a stating the obvious here but one thing that often happens with these builds is that they are an evolving process.Scott may find all the components in his car meet his requirements or he may end up constantly changing and upgrading his car like I did with mine, doing things twice etc. etc. etc.......
do it right.jpg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 15, 2013 12:42PM

I think I remember Scott saying that rear suspension was next on his to-do list. That was in the spring, before a whole summer and fall of good driving weather. IMHO, there's a lot to be said for driving a project car before prioritizing upgrades. Is it necessary to make these upgrades? No, but if you enjoy the process why stop upgrading? I haven't driven Scott's car, but I can tell you that my MGB rear suspension could use improvement. It's my least favorite thing about my MGB, but somehow fixing it hasn't reached the top of my to-do list.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 15, 2013 03:02PM

I suppose I'm of the mind that a project car is never really finished but I've driven my GT for years with only tube shock conversions on all four corners and been satisfied with it. That's not to say I wouldn't be pleased with some more exotic upgrades but, like Ken says, I haven't pushed it past what it's capable of. I suppose when I do the rear end will tell me when its had enough and I'll have to change it; hopefully I won't be too far from home. I do have plans to replace all the bushings and add a panard rod in the near future

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 03:06PM by pspeaks.

murarri
Dan Murphy

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 16, 2013 12:12AM

Thanks for the input on Scott's beautiful ride. I agree with the notion of an "evolving" project, upgrading as money, time and needs change. I'd love to hear from Scott on these issues. I haven't actually ridden in a B for a while, (my project is just now starting with a really good rust free shell, some custom body mods, then the oily bits to follow) so I'm a little vague on stock performance. So Scott, if you're out there let us know how it's going. Once again, a beautiful job-simple and very clean!!!

Dan

mgbv81970
Scott Wooley
Frederick Colorado
(23 posts)

09/07/2011 02:20PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB 289 Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: mgbv81970
Date: November 17, 2013 09:46PM

Thanks for your comments.

I've put approximately 6000 miles on the car since this spring and I'd be happy to share some of my impressions. (First of all, yes, the cowl induction idea was stolen dirctly from Curtis when I saw his car for the first time about 10 years ago at the Colorado Conclave. :) First some backround information:
The car was a rusted out basket case to start with. I had no prior experience with British cars, auto body, paint or engine conversions. I did all of the work myself, in my own garage over the course of appoximately 10 years. The two books I purchased and used as guides through the process are Lindsay Porter's "MGB Restoration Guide" and Pat Ganahl's "How To Paint Your Car on a Budget. All other knowledge was picked up from life experiences and internet reading, particularly this website.
I did not start out with a V8 conversion in mind. I simply wanted to "fix up" the the little MGB I had and make it a little nicer than it was. It was only after stripping off layers of paint / bondo / fiberglass did I realize what a challenge I had ahead of me. It needed full sills, floors, left rear quarter panel, hood, lower right front fender, plus lots of hammer work on the what was left. I could only imagine the stories this car had to tell! I was determined to make the car sound again and free of any rust. While I was busy restoring the body shell, I had the original engine and (freshly rebuilt) overdrive transmission out and sitting on the garage floor near the car. My wife and I were having a garage sale one day, when a man offered to buy my original transmission for a price that I couldn't refuse. A week later I sold the engine as well and convinced myself I'd convert it to V8 power also.
I told several people that I was looking for a small block V8 engine for my MGB, and was leaning toward the Ford 260 / 289 / 302 or the BOPR 215 variant. A short time later my search paid off when my co-worker spotted what looked like a Ford 289 in his buddies junk pile beside his garage. I offered him a twelve pack of beer for it, and he accepted. A second co-worker, a newly hired mechanic, had a Borg Warner T5 from an '87 Mustang GT laying around his garage he wanted desperately to get rid of. I offered to buy him lunch in exchange for it, which he also accepted. So for the cost of some beer and the price of a chicken torta from a local Mexican bakery, I had the drive train for my MGB project figured out! From there I began to slowly research and collect parts for my conversion. My goal was to make the car structurally sound, a little bit faster, and try my hand at body work and paint as well. I feel like I did well with what knowledge and tools I had to work with.
So how does it all work together? Very well actually! The car handles very much like a well-sorted stock MGB, despite the fact it's gained some weight. The car stops confidently, and I can lock all four wheels with firm pedal pressure. I don't feel the need to upgrage to better brakes at the moment, but as time goes by and I run out of things to improve... Also, for the record, I drive the car on the street and don't drag race or autocross. I may try both at some time, just for fun, but doing so will likely only warrant more upgrades and more $$$.
The engine build was kept mild, only a slightly more agressive cam than stock was chosen. It runs and idles great and makes good power that pulls hard from 2500 to redline. Eventually I'll make some dyno pulls and post the results here, but I would guess the car is making about 200 RWHP. It sets you back into the seat and makes some wonderful mechanical music on the way to 6000 rpm. The Hurst shifter works great, although the handle position is back a bit far. (I may make an extension for the stick later)
What don't I like? The stock rear end and gear ratio. It's adequate and works just fine, but I think there are IRS, and 3 and 4 link rear setups that would improve on ride quality, launch control, have height adjustability and lower unsprung weight. With that said, I'm still investigating my options, but leaning toward an 8" Ford with a gear ratio in the 3.00 to 3.55 range. (The current ratio does not help with gas mileage, but the engine seems quite happy to spin all day over 3000 rpm.)
The exhaust note is pretty agressive. It's low toned and mean sounding, with no pops or backfires. It IS a bit loud however, and people definately take a second look when they hear me coming, then wonder what the heck is under the hood! I'm thinking of adding a couple of discrete mufflers in the old battery box area to mellow it out a bit. I've already made the exhaust cutouts in the rear valance bigger to accomodate the big exhaust tips I used. ( I made the original cutout for a 2 1/2 " pipe to pass through, then later decided I wanted the tips to be flush with the valance.)
I would offer just about anyone here an opportunity to drive the car yourself and give me your feedback. I plan on attending Britsh V8 2014 in Colorado Springs, so hopefully I'll get to finally meet some of you and thank you for all of your inspirational ideas and words of wisdom. Curtis, when your car is out of winter hibernation, we'll get together and I'll let you drive it if you're interested. I'd love to trade you for a spin in that fly-weight fuelie GT of yours as well. Cheers.

Scott

murarri
Dan Murphy

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 19, 2013 03:24PM

Scott
Thanks for the update. I'm inspired to spend more time in the shop.

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.