classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Posted by: classic conversions
Date: November 03, 2013 10:43PM

Question, has anyone installed the seals backwards, meaning the outside part of the seal inside to avoid the seem that is left if no chrome pieces are used.

A matter of taste, I do not want the chrome pieces on the windshield or rear hatch on my GT project.
I was thinking of installing them backwards.

I think, well I know that it will work, I will make work, just wondering if anyone has done it.

Or.... is there a rubber seal that does not use the chrome pieces.

robert1839
Tristan Cook
5579 Timber Ridge Dr, Mt Vernon, Skagit, Washingto
(118 posts)

05/06/2013 11:11PM

Main British Car:
MGB GT 1972 Buick 215

Re: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Posted by: robert1839
Date: November 04, 2013 12:54AM

i believe that the chrome pieces are separate to the seal so u could just take them off or just not put them on. but i have never tried to separate them or seen them apart

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: November 04, 2013 01:32AM

I have installed both front and rear windshields, seals, and polished aluminum trim (it's not really chrome) and I can tell you this. I would rather ride a Gold Wing to a Hells Angel meeting than touch that job again and that goes double if I ever consider doing the aluminum trim again. If I could put it in backwards I would. I'm not all that crazy about the look either.

Paul

rubbinisracin
Ivan Collins

(38 posts)

03/19/2013 09:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rubbinisracin
Date: November 04, 2013 08:54AM

Yea I have done both the front and rear and agree with Paul. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. I wish I had been thinking outside of the box like you and thought to put them on backwards, that's a great idea. However, I do think that the aluminum trim pieces help tighten the seal to the windshield so I would just consider a place holder or something. It does have a rubber rod like material that gets pressed in that might do the job fine.

rporter
Richard Porter

(16 posts)

03/22/2010 07:39AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rporter
Date: November 04, 2013 08:10PM

I installed my TR6 windshield without the chrome trim which really is a plastic moulding and all has held up well and is water tight. It's cosmetic and not that good a look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.