(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Who's working on their projects?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 08, 2007 08:28PM

I feel like i'm finally over the hump on mine... sent it out to a media blaster this past weekend -- hope to have it back next week. When i get it back, the next priorities are...
- a bit more welding to do on the bottom side -- stuff like adding in some bracing, welding the rear bump stops back on & a couple of miscellaneous other things
- finish welding in the cowl panel for the swap to a metal dash
- fit the Omni fender flares

Then lots more to do after that!

Here are a couple of progress pics...
2007-10-06 MG Firewall & Oil Cooler shelf mods from Underneath 003.jpg
2007-04-07 Dash, Bumper, & Radiator Supports 008.jpg
2006-12-09 AC Fitting In Progress 005.jpg
2007-10-14 MG on Rotisserie 001.jpg

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Who's working on their projects?
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 08, 2007 09:07PM

Although I'm not doing the work myself, work is proceeding rapidly on mine. Progress pictures at: [www.advanceautowire.com]

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 08, 2007 09:30PM

Dan, i do love looking at Ted/Don's work!

It looks like your motor sits even lower than mine based on how much room there appears to be over the throttle body -- especially given that the intake is an air gap one... is that an illusion or did Ted change the motor mount design from the way he used to do it?

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

10/23/2007 06:46AM

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Posted by: MGB SS
Date: November 12, 2007 09:40PM

Well Winter will be here before we know it and I believe the Last good days to take a spin are gone..I have been getting my list together of the things that I want and need to get done on mine during the snowy months.

The Drive line will come out and the engine rebuilt with added "Go Faster Parts ".

The engine bay will receive a much needed overhaul and new paint.

The headers will get Jet Coated or something similar and of coarse the interior could use some attention, Door panels and Maybe some Fiero seats.

And last, finish my rollbar so I can go Faster at the drag strip.

So as you see even though I was able to drive mine this past Summer it is far from done.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2007 09:47PM by MGB SS.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 12, 2007 09:58PM

Yeah, mine too. I found one tire for it, when I change that I'll re-seal the rim halves, and I have a different set of springs to go under the car. Then if I can get a set of cylinders for the tilt front end that'll be enough for this winter.

Jim

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 12, 2007 10:19PM

Rob,

I'm not sure what Ted's mounts were before, but he has gotten the engine low enough in mine that no hood bubble is needed - the hood will close over the engine.

I've posted some new pics on my web site.

GTsRFine
David Maples
Georgia
(8 posts)

10/23/2007 01:43PM

Main British Car:
74 MGBGT stock

Posted by: GTsRFine
Date: November 13, 2007 01:09PM

I am putting together a V6 for my son and am at the point of installing a radiator now (early Mustang V8 radiator for a standard 60V6 implant). I was a bit worried at how much of it hangs down in harms' way. Thanks for posting that picture Rob. I looked at other installations in the photo gallery and most non-MG radiators were sitting below the steering tie rods. The RB MG radiator is about even with the tie rods.
Hmmm Dan's pics also show the radiator sitting lower than the RB MG radiator (looking good Dan).
Still kind of spooky though.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2007 03:15PM

I think so too, in fact the first extended radiator I used hit a curb. But it isn't that hard to place a guard below the radiator.

Jim

PaulV8
Paul Avery
England
(18 posts)

11/13/2007 03:57PM

Main British Car:
'78 B Roadster V8 , '96 RV8 , '75 MGB GT Jubilee '77 B Roadster , '71 B Roadster , + others

authors avatar
Posted by: PaulV8
Date: November 13, 2007 04:23PM

Hey, thought i'd post after lurking for a while.

Just nearing completion on mine, it's a 78' roadster or a massive hole in my wallet however you want to look at it...

Basically it's a sound original car (45k miles and garaged from new) with no rust at all, I've fitted a complete new interior, inc new leather seats, carpets, roll bar, all the usual bits. Fitted gas shocks all round, lowered V8 springs, cross drilled and grooved V8 discs, kevlar pads, all new rear brakes. The engine is a Rover/Buick 215, stripped, acid dipped, rebored +20thou, rover vitesse 9.75:1 pistons, fast road cam, skimmed and ported heads, remote oil filter + cooler, new V8 larger core rad, stainless steel block huggers with full stainless system, new rover LT77 5 speed with custom prop, edelbrock 500 on the offey dual port intake, + few nice shiny bits. It's running on recon Triumph stag wheels (similar to LE) with V8 chin spoiler.

Just finishing the last parts off now with the cooling system, anybody got any bright ideas on the heater control valve?

I'll post some pics of the build soon if anybody's interested?

Paul

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 13, 2007 06:02PM

Quote:
I'll post some pics of the build soon if anybody's interested?

I'm VERY interested!

The message board is a cool place to post photos... but you're also invited and encouraged to submit a "How It Was Done" write-up for our online newsletter and photo gallery.

This link includes tips for submitting photos and also explains our tried-and-true "How It Was Done" article format: [www.britishv8.org]

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2007 07:58PM

Curtis

My Rad support both protects the low hanging rad but also serves as a jack point, Very handy.

Joe

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 13, 2007 08:42PM

Quote:
My Rad support both protects the low hanging rad but also serves as a jack point, Very handy.

Indeed... as shown here (in Joe's HIWD): [www.britishv8.org]

Brent Lancaster took a somewhat similar approach: [www.britishv8.org]

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2007 09:44PM

I'm planning to do something similar when i make the shrouding for the part of the radiator that hangs below the oil cooler shelf. I didn't have the special tuning air dam when i started setting up the radiator, but got it (along with some other goodies) from Bill Guzman recently [thanks again Bill!]. When the body shell gets back from the stripper (later this week i'm hoping), that's one of the projects I have to complete. What I'm thinking is a frame similar to what Joe did but with shrouding that leads to the air dam opening so the fan sucks air from in front of the car rather than hot air from under the car back around through the radiator.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2007 10:34PM

On mine I built a forward crossmember structure of thinwall materials which is a radiator guard, jacking point, center section of the spoiler, forward radiator shroud, and anchor point for the tilt assembly pivots. Very happy with the results.

Jim

tetlow
David Tetlow
Milton Keynes. England
(2 posts)

11/14/2007 03:47PM

Main British Car:
1975 V8 Roadster Rover 3.5

Posted by: tetlow
Date: November 14, 2007 04:05PM

I have just send my GT which is ready for respray, off to storage, sigh, but that means the V8 can go into the garage to be finished ready for next years shipping to the USA.
I have fitted a "new" LT77 box but have found out that the linkage is shot so I am waiting for new bushes. I can then refit the engine, then the exhaust, then I can finish the rear valence exhaust cutouts, so then I can get the baby resprayed!!!
A few hours ahead of me I think.
Dave

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 16, 2007 09:50AM

looks like everyone is upgrading or putting a serious effort fwd to make it to Elkhart Lake next year! thanks Rob for the TL, it matches perfect. WTG, Joe looks like you have the BUG!. what mods do you plan. send me a PM on your combo, and we can wish any level of performance. i have my new SP gas tank mod completed and still lack cutting the trunk (boot) floor for mounting. i took pics and have most of the info should anyone need suggestions. the GM Fuel Module fit perfect into the GM Flange we SOLDERED to the SP tank. the coating applied by SP was not damaged by excess heat of welding. i plan to do a " How To" article for Curtis when i have recovered from a brief proceedure. look fwd to seeing you all again at next "conversion meet" Hell, i think Bill G. has converted me to a V6 fan also. would have saved much $ and room, but strokers don't come cheap!
SAFETY FASTER!

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Date: November 16, 2007 05:18PM

Kelly

All the best with your mentioned procedure!

Nothing against the V-6s However I think you would have to spend big$$$ to get a V-6 to run as hard as your 5.0

Glad to here on the fuel tank I will be checking it out. As far as my mods that is still in the air, maybe a little maybe a lot:)

Joe

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 17, 2007 12:52PM

"The Proceedure" was a success. Got a brand new Bio-Met Mangnum right hip. 3 days and home again. can't do much but dream. just need to be able to get the old tank off and measure for the cut and do the conversion. the GM module fits great. will use 4AN & 6AN SS Braided slip on to connect to the hard lines and module lines. 4AN will slip onto 5/16" and 6AN will do the 3/8" on the module. i will slip a piece of 5/16 into the 3/8 " line and silver solder for my existing lines conversion. (both are 5/16") just have to drop down from the 3/8 on module to my 5/16" for short distance.
Rob seems to be speeding toward completion and hope to see him in Wisc. all you guys keep the flame going. Hot Rodders forever! just a different car, seems like the true spirit of our forerunners.
just think, i can be down 4 cylinders and still put out 37 HP per cyl. or 148HP for 4 cyl. the Super charged 4 cyl maxed out! and i only spent a few dollars more and have to hook up 4 plug wires to double my HP. Wow! could never be happy with the anchor again.

FOR CARL-- SAFETY FASTER!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 18, 2007 10:14AM

kstevusa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got a brand new Bio-Met Mangnum right hip.

Must have wore out the original from too much standing on the loud pedal !! ;)

Did you go to the Chattanooga Choo-Choo ? Jim Watson from the Blount club (Knoxville club that does the Townsend show) Said that there were 3 V8s in attendance. Mike Cook with his Silver Lady, Chris Gore with the Red Pearl, and ? I though it might be you since you are nearby.

Hope your recovery is going well. You should be ready to go for a run with me by the V8 Meet. :)

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: November 22, 2007 01:16AM

Doing some minor stuff on mine. Finally put a heater in it. One of those compact units from southern rods. Works pretty good, about the same amount of heat as the OEM unit. Enough to keep the better half happy! Some changes to the coolant tank, to allow installation of the heater.
Also switched to 19lb injectors, from the 21lb units.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.