(96 posts)

01/16/2011 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Steering Column Question
Posted by: 63BlueMGB
Date: January 27, 2014 10:04PM

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, Please put it in the correction if I am mistaken, However I am reassembling my Steering Column, I ended up modifying my steering column by shortening it and reducing the thickness where my steering joing connects. I cleaned the upper bushing and steering Column tube. Before I reassemble the steering column what grease or lubricate do I use inside the Column and tube itself that will not cause the bushings harm or fowl up the sterring column itself? I read through the manual but it did not give any specs or suggestions. Have you used any lubricates in the column or are the bushings enough? Thanks in advance for any respone or suggestions, Any help is appreciated! Thanks again

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Steering Column Question
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 28, 2014 01:09AM

Nick - I often point people on the MG Experience board over here, but for that question, I'd go to there & post the question in the main MG sub-board. Gerry Masterman is a regular there & he rebuilds steering columns as a business. I'm sure he could give you good advice.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: January 28, 2014 04:41PM

You should be able to reach Gerry at: gmasterman at aol.com

I've known Gerry for years. He's a great, intelligent man.

He donated a refurbished steering column to the Roadmaster.

63BlueMGB
Nick B
Kansas City, Mo.
(96 posts)

01/16/2011 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1963 MGB

authors avatar
Posted by: 63BlueMGB
Date: January 29, 2014 05:39PM

Rick and Rob,

Thanks for your guidance, Gerry did help me out right away and answered all of my questions and confirmed what I was thinking about doing anyway. Here is response for anybody that will do this or be doing this in the future. Let me at least state that there is alot more to rebuilding a column than just putting in new bushing and grease, and some tolerances of the steering column should be checked before reassembling. I am just answering my question for anybody who may do a search at a later date. If I wanted to source a rebuilt column I would definately contact Gerry about one. Here was the information I received:

When I rebuild columns in my shop, I use Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Lube. If that is not available to you I see no reason not to use a lithium based grease instead. The main thing is don't use oil which may travel down the shaft and make a mess

On the felt bush, I think the proper way to lube this is to soak in oil prior to assemble so that the felt will be saturated. While I have not done this, I think I would see if I could get by with two plastic bushings instead of one plastic and on felt. You will have to remove the lip on the end of the tube to be able to install the plastic bush. I have made bushings from scratch for these early columns in the past. Often I find the bottom of the shaft, where it runs in the felt bush is badly pitted, so I either build up this area with brass via torch and turn back down to the original size or turn the OD down smaller than original and make a bushing to match. Alot of time consuming work

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: February 02, 2014 12:56PM

We also sell Gerry's rebuilt kit. It is a very nice kit and it works.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.