(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
The ultimate BOPR/SBB conversion?
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 02, 2014 02:07PM

This is one that I would like to see happen. In fact, if someone wants to build this I'd be willing to help on the hard parts of the conversion, as I have some experience in this area. The build is very feasible. It will be a one of a kind, but it will be somewhat expensive due to a few custom modifications. What is done with the rest of the drivetrain/suspension/body is of course up to the owner.

TAPerformance has committed to introduce a new head and intake for the 350cid SBB V8, most likely sometime within a 2-5 year time frame. These parts will be matched and will outflow anything now available for the BOPR line or the 350B iron heads. Intake is expected to have injector bosses so EFI is an option. With that as the basis the car can be built around the 350 bottom end. Custom headers will be required, which many of us have done before. I would recommend the front engine mounts and "Roadmaster" radiator mods. Depending on engine positioning, steering mods may be kept to a minimum, or it may need the full "Roadmaster" steering treatment.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not offering to build your car, or your engine, or anything like that. But if someone else thinks this is a good idea and would like to build it I can do a good job of supporting you in your efforts and can provide advice every step of the way. Some of that assistance could take the form of custom fabrication if the circumstances for that are favorable.

In all probability the air cleaner will have to stick through the hood, but otherwise the car can look stock if that is your desire. There may be ways around the hood issue, but they are likely to be a little pricey. If important enough it can be done.

This would complete the Buick/MGB connection. Every other era matching Buick engine has been used in the MGB from the 215 to the 455 and including the V6, and this remains the single hold out. It is also perhaps the most popular Buick engine of all time, lacking only in the availability of alloy heads. Total engine weight will be right around 400lbs, very similar to the 300, 340, and the SBF. Bellhousing pattern is the modern BOP (not the BOPR used by the Rover engine) so virtually all modern transmission choices are available. The engine height and header pattern are really the only issues of concern.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.