Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Slotted and drilled rotors. Yes or no!
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: March 04, 2014 09:31PM

That's a pretty cool piece Bill!
It looks like a carbon brake rotor, and F1 for sure by it's size.
Rotor size is limited by the rules so they use two calipers per rotor to get enough clamping area.
Cheers
Fred

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: March 04, 2014 09:46PM

Yes dual calipers liquid cool he said, never saw it, just what he told me.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 04, 2014 11:05PM

JWD,

Just a few quotes for ya.

Car and Driver "The new C7 Corvette ditched the cross drilled rotors due to cracking issues". "Other than appearance, no performance gain was noticed"

Willwood "Drilling a rotor reduces it's durability and cooling capacity"

Performance Friction "Anyone that tells you that cross drilling a rotor is a good thing is on crack".

Baer Brakes "Cross drilling is outdated technology and we do not offer it".

Warren Gilliand. leading racing industry brake engineer "Cross drilled rotors appeal to the older performance market. But they are not performance rotors and have a correspondingly higher failure rate".

Grass Roots Motorsports "Unless you're using brake pads from the 40's or 50"s drilled rotors aren't doing a whole lot for you". "Contrary to popular belief, they don't lower temperatures and can actually increase rotor temp".

Engineered Performance Group "You don't see drilled rotors in NASCAR, F1, ACO or ALMS. so why would we?"

JWD
Jim Durham
Gig Harbor, Wa.
(103 posts)

01/22/2013 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Ford 302 (398.9 HP, 383.2 TQ)

Posted by: JWD
Date: March 04, 2014 11:21PM

I can only address your 1st post as my time is limited BUT, regardless of what you think the Car & Driver rag has to say, the C-7 Corvette with the Z-51 performance option does indeed have drilled rotors as does my C-6 Z06. GM has solid rotors for the base cars that are strictly street driven. If you order the performance options, they ALL come with drilled rotors. I'm sure it's only for looks, along with the bigger sway bars, oil coolers, tires etc. because that's for looks as well. I'm sure you know more than the engineers for GM.

Believe what you want. The rest of us goes by actual track experience.

By the way, here's a REAL quote from the Wilwood site - Wilwood provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications, slotted is the preferred choice. With certain pad material, slotting can help wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:39PM by JWD.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: March 05, 2014 02:52AM

Here....we go.
I retired from racing in 2006 and occasionally go to the track and make 5 or 6 hot laps just for.....what ever reason.

I have driven several different cars with solid disc and stock brakes, most recent was a standard C-6 solid disc etc...
I own a C-6 supercharged with Z-51 package it is like night and day on everything specially the brakes. the disc are good for 3 hot laps then they have to be baby.
Called it old technology, the engine is also old technology, pistons, rods, valves just in a different configuration.

NASCAR does not use the brakes like a road racers do, and the road course NASCAR cars, yes I have seen some them with little holes in the rotors at the Sonoma race track.

Street and performance driving are miles apart . You may not agree and read magazines who evaluate cars by how much hp they have.
I have always said hp numbers are for magazines, rarely do they talk about torque which is what counts.
Many times they write to aid in the sales of a particular model, it is very obvious, but ok for the masses.

Jim read your post, I am a visual type person, and I could see you spilling your drink through your nose LOL

Jim Studart from Grass Roots and others are not experts, they go by hear say and sell magazines. Funny I think they are putting rotors with holes in their new Factory Five build up, not sure but.....

There is no end to this. You can use what you like and I will use what I think is good for me and that includes the LOOKS.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 05, 2014 03:40AM

Uhmmm,

I own a high end automotive repair shop. I also own a performance and race shop. We field 3 separate race teams all of which currently hold class records. We have built winning rally cars for Subaru, Suzuki and Volvo and raced them all over the world. I have an engineering degree and am a master technician for five separate OEMs.
But I guess I'm just blowing smoke out of my ass.
Agreed everyone has their opinion.
But before this turns into a brawl I think that we should just drop it.

Cheers
Fred

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: March 05, 2014 04:21AM

Moss do a dotted & slotted rotor for the TR6. I expect there is something similar available for the MG.
Yes, here we go:
[www.moss-europe.co.uk]

I assume the dotting is less of a stress-raiser than cross-drilling.

Ivor

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: March 05, 2014 03:29PM

We've discussed most of the choices available today. It seems 1/2 of the forum is drill/slotted and the other 1/2 is "BIG Brakes" I was semi confused by all the data until I reviewed the "Hail The Mighty B Cam Video" again. The answer is evident. The "B Cam" will compensate of inadequate rotors and calipers as well as reduce vacuum to negate the effect of brake being too large. Seems strange we all missed the obvious . SAFETY FASTER! LMAO.

avbates
Tony Bates
San Jose California
(25 posts)

03/22/2008 12:16PM

Main British Car:
74 MGB roadster 4.2 litre Rover

Posted by: avbates
Date: March 05, 2014 05:07PM

My Dodge Viper ACR has slotted rotors and there is nothing on this car unless there is a functional benefit.

StopTech two-piece, slotted, lightweight rotors combine with Brembo calipers to reduce rotating inertia and unsprung mass, improve brake cooling, and significantly reduce fade even under extreme conditions. The StopTech rotors feature a patented curved-fin design, a key element in improving brake cooling. The Dodge SRT10 Viper ACR stops from 60 mph in less than 100 feet.
large_07.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 05, 2014 10:52PM

I have a set of scalloped ventilated 6-1/2 lb rotors that will go on my car. Latest and greatest thing, better than slotted, drilled, or non-slotted non-drilled. The scallops reduce weight considerably while also allowing outgassing of the pads and removal of debris if needed. Cooling characteristics are infinitely superior to all other types of any sort when supplemented by the "B" cam. Did I mention they are light? With aluminum hats they weight a good bit less than the stock MGB rotor.

Jim

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: March 06, 2014 07:54AM

Just put your feet down like Fred Flintstone.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.