Georgia
(8 posts)

10/23/2007 01:43PM

Main British Car:
74 MGBGT stock

Rewiring with Advance Auto-wire
Posted by: GTsRFine
Date: March 16, 2014 10:17PM

I know I'm late to the praise party for this kit but I've got to add my appreciation for a kit well worth the price. I'm in the middle of the rewire project and it has gone much better than expected. In addition to the quality of the materials, the quality of the manual was way above expectations and is speeding up the project.

Thanks to Steve Carrick.

Tip - find some Velcro tree tie wraps to use as a wire bundle organizer.
You can buy an entire roll at various gardening shops, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. or get it online at Amazon or other places. As you are running out the various wire to different locations, wrap the bundles and subbundles with the Velcro tie wrap. It goes on easy and comes off just as easily. It is cheaper and faster than using cable ties. The velcro lies flat and doesn't snag on things along the way. To start, cut off about 10 pieces of 4-5" long and about 5 pieces at 6-8" long as a minimum before starting to run the wires. Use the pieces as you see fit. I used more than the minimum and it minimized the tangles (both on the car and in my mind).
[www.amazon.com]

There is a back story to this episode. I was one of the people who was caught in the middle of the transfer of ownership of Advance Auto-wire. Steve honored my previous payment and refused to accept my offer to pay any difference or any shipping. Many thanks to Steve.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Re: Rewiring with Advance Auto-wire
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: March 16, 2014 10:48PM

X-2 on Advance Auto-wire products from Steve Carrick. I was also one of those that got caught in the middle of the company transfer to Steve Carrick. No extra charge here from Steve for me either. I hand out his business cards to everyone at the shows who ask about it. I do stand behind his product.

It was easy enough for a color blind man as myself to complete my project and have had Zero problems with electrical (TR6 Ls1). I liked the product so well that it was a no brainer for me, to order another kit from Steve for my MGB GT Ls1 build.

So Cheers to Steve Carrick and Advanced Auto-Wire, he can call me one of his sales reps (out west), and I wouldn't want to get paid for it. :-).....Have you tried to put heat shrink on your wire ends yet (using a mini torch to shrink fit)?...don't worry about burning the sheath to much on the wire he uses. That wire is awesome. The relay block is of very high quality too. Need to give Dan Master and son big Kudos for this product too.

David, I used the Velcro strips, and it did make everything easier.

Calvin

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: March 17, 2014 09:51AM

You can add my name to the list of satisfied individuals who have installed the AAW kit and love the results (and the technical help along the way). The wiring upgrade was well overdue.....the original harness was getting decidedly crispy!

wiring1.jpg

Photo of the power block installed for easy access in the engine bay.
Thanks to Steve and Dan.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 17, 2014 10:00AM

I used their wire many years ago while Dan Masters was still the owner. Best insulation available anywhere, bar none. Far superior to the ordinary vinyl still used by everyone else. But I do have objections to the way the kit is often installed.

Be aware when you start this job, this is a vastly superior product you are using and as such it is only proper than you take full benefit of it by suitably terminating the ends. Even the best wire will fail and do so quickly if you use century old practices installing it. Take your cues from current wiring harnesses in production autos, which have been using this wire for the last 2 decades. Use gas sealed connectors. Use glued-heat-shrink terminals. Use individual ground leads. Protect the wires properly. Do these things right and the harness will last longer than you will. Do them wrong and you'll be repairing it at some inconvenient time.

Jim

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 18, 2014 08:22AM

Me, too.

ac evaporator in situ.jpg

smelfi
Steve Melfi
Alexandria Ohio
(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
Posted by: smelfi
Date: March 18, 2014 08:45AM

I've had my Advance Auto-wire kit for a few years now and also am impressed by the quality.
I'm just a few connections away from live testing everything except for the ignition and charging circuits, and I could use some input on how I think I will do my alternator connections.
I have a Denso 55 amp four wire alternator, the four wires are - output, sense, ignition, warning lamp. I'll connect the alternator output to the starter solenoid battery connection. I'm not going to use a warning lamp and will not have anything connected to the alternator warning lamp terminal.
The alternator sense and ignition connections are the two I am not quite sure about. I intend to connect the white wire that comes out of the power block and is supposed to be used for the ignition warning lamp as the alternator ignition on connection. I want the sense wire to monitor the voltage at the power block when the ignition switch is on. So my thought is to have both the ignition on and sense wires landed at the same location in the power block.
Will what I propose work? Should I use any fuses, breakers, or fusible links in any part of the charging system?

Steve

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: March 18, 2014 10:20AM

Steve,

Contact the wire wizard Dan Masters for your question. I'm sure he can help out!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 18, 2014 10:27AM

Steve, on the Denso alternators the sense wire should normally take a different path to the battery from the output wire so that you get somewhat higher charging voltage. But be aware that unless there is a switch or relay in the sense circuit it can draw the battery down.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.