Mark Taylor
Denver Colorado, USA
(39 posts)

05/30/2008 07:22PM

Main British Car:

Bleeding the Clutch
Posted by: RockyMountainMGB
Date: August 18, 2008 09:02AM

I originally thought my problem with my 1973 B slipping out of gear was due to a burned out clutch.

Not the case.

After having a mechanic buddy drive it and inspecting the clutch fluid levels, we decided to change out the hydraulic system rather than pulling the engine for a lengthy clutch change-out.

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the rubber line with new --- and cleaned the clutch master cylinder.

However, bleeding the system is a huge pain. Right when I think it's good...new air bubbles show up...making the clutch inconsistent at times.

Any advice on bleeding the system? Or would it be better to pay a local shop to do it?

Mark

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Bleeding the Clutch
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: August 19, 2008 09:54AM

Mark, sorry I didn't answer your post yesterday but I was hopinig that someone with a B might have more knowledge. If you have access to a vacuum bleeder I'd use that and draw the fluid down to the slave from above. That usually draws out all the air. Also try jacking the car up so that the bleeder screw is at the highest side of the slave cylinider so that any bubbles will float up towards the bleed orifice.
Are you using silicon fluid? It has a nasty habit of trapping air and then slowly releasing it sort of like soda or beer does with CO2. You usually need to bleed the system then let it sit over night and carefully bleed it again to remove all the air. Not usually a problem with DOT4 fluid.

jbarila
John Barilaro
Red Sox Nation!
(60 posts)

11/02/2007 08:29AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Ford 302/5L

Re: Bleeding the Clutch
Posted by: jbarila
Date: September 03, 2008 07:26AM

HI Mark,
I have always liked the EZ-Bleed. It uses tire pressure to power bleed brakes and clutch. One hint, use a spare tire and drop the pressure to less than 15 psi. You don't need alot of pressure and it saves making a mess.
I have a vacuum bleeder but the EZ-Bleed works better.
Good Luck,
JB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.