Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

05/08/2013 03:24AM

Main British Car:

MGB GT V8 REAR SPRINGS
Posted by: ID
Date: April 27, 2014 03:53AM

Hi - Hope somebody can help!

I own a factory '73 MGB GT V8 and it was my intention to replace the existing tube shocks with new ones, which should have been straight forward, In short, the lower shock mounts were bent and needed straightening with heat, which meant that the U bolts, etc., needed dismantling. I found that there were steel plates about a half inch thick between the axle and the springs (not original), no doubt intended to lower the back of the car. The car's back springs have paint markings "BHH 1133", which I believe is the correct MG part number and also the same number used by Moss for the chrome bumper GT V8. As these springs look relatively new, I presume that they have been supplied by Moss.

In my opinion, the car stands a "tad" too high at the back even with the halaf inch lowering blocks and, as I wasn't intending to make any adjustments other than to fit the shocks, I didn't take any measurements of the height of the car prior to dismantling the "U" bolts, so I'm not too sure how high the car is over and above what it should be with these springs in place.

My question is: Has anybody experienced the same problem with these springs raising the back of the car to an abnormal height? If so, was it necessary to fit the lowering conversion kit for a "Rubber Bumper" to the "Chrome Bumper" model to remedy the problem? Or, was the problem overcome by other means? Or, is there a chance that these springs are not to the specifications of the original V8 springs?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Ian

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Re: MGB GT V8 REAR SPRINGS
Posted by: hirot
Date: April 27, 2014 01:24PM

Ian, don't know if it helps but the factory V8 was a rubber bumper model fitted with chrome bumpers, which puts the height of the V8 1" too high.
BH1133 are chrome bumber springs and rubber bumper are BHH1771. I am not sure whether 1133 were fitted to the early V8s and then lowered using 1" blocks.
The MGOC club in the UK will be able to tell you.
I lowered mine using MOSS Rubber bumper road springs (TMG40731) and the ride height looks correct and they suit the car for normal road use. These springs are chrome bumper springs re tempered (heat treated) to lower them. My first set wern't tempered properly hence my previous post inquiring about anti-tramp bars. However, they were exchanged and I am getting nearer fitting the new set.
If you use the 1" lowering blocks you will probably need longer U bolts....which MOSS also sell.

Regards Ian

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

05/08/2013 03:24AM

Main British Car:

Re: MGB GT V8 REAR SPRINGS
Posted by: ID
Date: April 28, 2014 05:16AM

Thanks Ian,

My main objective is to return the car to its original road height which I would have thought the BHH 1133 springs would/should have done, Maybe these springs have been set to the rubber bumper BHH 1771 specifications and incorrectly marked as BHH 1133 because if the half inch plate that is now fitted between the spring and axle in my car was removed, then the car would be sitting with its backside sticking up like a duck with is "arse" in the air!

It would appear that you have not had this experience by using Moss's TMG 40731 springs that have been "reset".

Thanks for the information, however, if there is somebody who has experienced the problem I have outlined, I would like to hear from them.

Regards - Ian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.