(96 posts)

11/20/2013 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
ON THE ROAD
Posted by: MG wanna B
Date: May 09, 2014 08:13PM

well, i finally have both my B's on the road, insured by hagerty, cheaper than my other insurance company could do, with better coverage, but today went so bad, with our home ac system blowing up, service truck ac died, and my f-250 batteries,(2) died, so, i wouldn't even leave the shop with my v6 conversion. afraid that something would go wrong.

hope tomorrow's a better day

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: ON THE ROAD
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 09, 2014 08:25PM

Stuff always send to happen in threes so you should be good for a while! Seriously, that is a major bummer. Hope you can get the stuff fixed soon. In the meantime enjoy the V6!

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 09, 2014 08:31PM

already fixed the truck, my ac man is supposed to come tomorrow, and, charging the truck batteries to see what's wrong, and plan a small joy ride tomorrow.

it's all good, stuff happens. i'm just tickled to have 2 mgb's covered for 17,500 for less than 300 a year, with road coverage.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: May 09, 2014 09:33PM

Ed, I had Hagerty on my T- Bucket and I've had Hagerty on my GT for years; been happy the entire time.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 10, 2014 05:15AM

i almost couldn't believe it. got 2 quotes online, and, just happen to have my old insurance agent at the shop, with his mower in for repair, and, BAM, told him, and, he said that he wrote policies for them, so, i handed the quotes to him.

he even beat the quotes, with better coverage, so, long story short, 2 cars covered for the price of 1, vs, regular insurance.

told my partner in crime about it, and, he's gonna cover his 2 there, too, so, that agent picked up a couple more customers, just like that.

T bucket --- you got a T bucket?

i like them, too.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 10, 2014 11:46AM

I had a Bucket but had to sell it; a little problem with family dynamics. A friend had a company that built kits, parts, and turn-key cars. We built 22 buckets before the economy went south and people started loosing their houses. The shop is back in limited production but I'm too old to get involved this time. A friend now owns it so I can drive it pretty much anytime I want but even with a door it's getting a little difficult to get out of after a couple of hours of cruising; much easier to get in and out of my BGT believe it or not.

Paul

102_2492 (3).JPG

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 10, 2014 06:58PM

that's a nice ride, wished i could afford one.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 10, 2014 08:17PM

Thanks Ed, but at 70 I'm too old to build another one and they are a bit brutal to drive for any length of time. I spent a lot of time on my back with a rag trying to keep the bottom of it clean and the chrome rear end was a dirt magnet. As soon as I got it finished I started the conversion on my MG and for now I'm satisfied with finishing it (mostly body and interior work now). Congrats on getting both of your cars going.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2014 09:00AM

thanks,

i've always known that i wouldn't be able to get one, due to the astronomical cost of them, and have always liked B's, so, at least i could afford these.

we only drive around, locally, with the cars, but, it is nice to know that we could just take off and go, in relative comfort, on a good trip, if we wanted to.

the bucket would be a trailer queen, most of the time, and, that's not what i would want. my B's are nice, especially the 77, but, i didn't get them for show, and the bucket would be, even though, i would cruise around in it, too.

drove the 77 on the road for the first time, around home, wifey wasn't real happy to be pinned in the seat, when i took off, but, i just had to step on it. MAN, it's fast. she had to ask if i really needed to do that, and, of course i do, once in a while.

i don't need a v8, even though, it would be nice, and would trade both of my cars for the right white one, but, i don't figure it will happed, so, i'm just gonna enjoy what i have, keep dressing them up, so that they will hold their money.

shoot, i would trade them for the right bucket, with a top, and start over. i can get B's, but, you don't see buckets here.

i did find out that there are a few little things that the 77 needs, mainly, removing a couple of "oops" that the PO made in the lighting, like, seperating the hazard lights from the turn signal circuit. went to turn, hit the indicator arm, and all 4 lit up, flipped the hazard switch, and, the signal worked fine.

also, the radiator fan is wired to the heater fan switch, and fix, or replace the homemade exhaust headers, but that's all the needs. the rest are wants, and have already done some of the wants, while it was just sitting in the shop, for a month.

the stock radiator will supply sufficient cooling to the 2.8 as it would to the stock engine, won't it? i want to put the stock cooling system back into the car, with all the stock fans, and, covers, if possible. what's in is working fine, but, i just like the stock look, better.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2014 11:09AM

They can get expensive Ed, but I had a shop where we made them and made most of the parts including the body (we had our own molds). I made a 300 mile trip once which I never repeated. Speedway has a pretty affordable kit, but I think I'll stick with my air-conditioned GT.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2014 11:38AM

no a/c on mine, yet, may, or may not, in the future, not decided.

i would have to get a finished bucket, like the v6 conversion i bought, therefore the high cost.

no time, or space to build one. my shop is my car's home, as well as, my work place, so, i can't have parts everywhere.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2014 06:21PM

On an average rolling buckets range from 12K to 20K but you won't get the best for 12. Though I have an aircraft hanger at my disposal, and my B has to share space with my Harley and boxes of parts, Id rather keep it at home so I can tinker when I have a few minutes to devote to it. Ay present I'm making a walnut veneered console. AC isn't much of an option when you live in Texas.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2014 06:45PM

our biggest problem is humidity. we can have 80 degree heat with smothering humidity. i got a case of heat and dehidration a few years back, and haven't been able to stand the heat, ever since.

we had 91 degree heat with low humidity, thursday and friday, and, i paid for it, yesterday.

today it was middle 80's with higher humidity, and, it was just as bad, or worse on me. our a/c quit at the house, and my a/c guy came today, right in the heat of the day, and being out in the heat was really rough on me.

we had been spending the nights in our airstream, so we had a/c, just not at home.

if i could sell my small engine business, and just be an employee, i could easily have room for all my cars, and a bucket, with room for storage, and working.

wish and want

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 12, 2014 02:17AM

For a time, I lived in Port Royal, SC so I can sympathize with you, I don't do well with heat either. Tough it out buddy, they tell me the next ice age is coming. One of my neighbors tells me that as I have a Ford Expedition I'm partly to blame :-)

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: May 12, 2014 06:45AM

ok, that's a new one on me. all i own are ford trucks, except for the B's, and don't see the connection.

i see more of a burning up under the sun from land butchering, and we don't have global warming, so i keep hearing. doesn't matter anyway, cause, it seems we've been sold to china.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.