rocketsci2001
sean ross

(9 posts)

03/14/2014 08:01PM

Main British Car:

4.6 rover v8 and LT or T5 trans in MGB
Posted by: rocketsci2001
Date: May 27, 2014 06:49PM

I have an early rubber bumper MGB. I want to put a 4.6 litre rover engine in, bigger brakes, telescopic shocks and IRS Jag or S10 rear in the rear. 4 wheel disc brakes would be nice. I heard that a small gm booster and vette master cylinder is a good start for the brakes, I have heard dodge alloy calipers fit and I have heard this and that . I want a well built reliable setup that is easy to get parts for without alot of fabbing on a relatively clean chassis.

I want to use an alloy driveshaft, alloy calipers and alloy flywheel and drilled brake rotors and such to save weight and still be able to take the 200 HP from my 4.6 engine.

rocketsci2001
sean ross

(9 posts)

03/14/2014 08:01PM

Main British Car:

Re: 4.6 rover v8 and LT or T5 trans in MGB
Posted by: rocketsci2001
Date: May 27, 2014 07:08PM

I hear the stock axle works and there is a 4 wheel disc brake conversion as well as a telescopic shock conversion.

Is there any special or factory made parts I can use off the shelf to mount my 4.6 into my mgb as I heard they used to put 3.5l rover 8 engines in these things.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 4.6 rover v8 and LT or T5 trans in MGB
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 27, 2014 07:55PM

So many questions all at once!

You can answer many of them for yourself using the site's search feature... but I suppose they're fun to discuss. So I'll take just one of them: master cylinders. This thread shows the set-up I'm about to install: [forum.britishv8.org] - I prefer it to the Corvette master cylinder because the chrome-bumper style bracket is so compact. I also think power brakes are unnecessary and undesirable on a lightweight sportscar. I'll post some pictures soon of a variation on what Bill Jacobson showed in his thread. (Instead of modifying rubber seals, I preferred to have a bit of simple machine work done.)

If you post one specific question per thread, you'll usually receive a good and concise answer promptly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.