Wisconsin
(47 posts)

11/18/2013 07:26PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.5L

cutting the center crossmember
Posted by: BOOTLEG
Date: June 12, 2014 04:53PM

With the new pilot bushing in place, my 3.5L Rover and T5 really like each other now. I assumed they would also jump right in the car together- NOT. The top of the trans is stopped by the trans tunnel while back of the trans hits the crossmember. Can't go up and can't go down. A friend suggested cutting out the crossmember which is spot welded in place and making a bolt in replacement to make the whole swap thing go easier. I really like this idea and found some pix on the INET by other swappers. Before cutting, welding, drilling etc. I thought I'd invite commentary. The original looks like 3 sections of thin wall square stock. Anyone know why 3 separate sections instead of just 1 that runs the full width. I thought perhaps they were meant to slide together for some reason.

Also, I could make my cut angled to follow the tunnel shape, just square or cut out the whole thing and use a single long piece. Recommendations?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: cutting the center crossmember
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 12, 2014 05:33PM

transmission-interference.jpg
So just to be clear, do you mean that the main body of your T5 transmission is hitting the tunnel at "A" and its tail section is hitting the welded in crossmember at "B"? I don't think that's typical at all for a Rover/T5 installation. Isn't it feasible to simply level your drivetrain to clear both these surfaces? The bolt-in transmission crossmember midway between A and B can be replaced with any sort of fabrication. I made one out of 1x2 box tubing.

BOOTLEG
Gary Rosema
Wisconsin
(47 posts)

11/18/2013 07:26PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.5L

Posted by: BOOTLEG
Date: June 12, 2014 06:16PM

Yes, just as you say on A & B - excellent pic - love the roto
Another restriction that prevented simply leveling was the motor mounts. The single bolt on each side, extending from the rubber, sticks out and wants to beat itself up against the frame. Lastly, with the power train in, the upper surface of the horizontal V-Legs of my hoist are higher than the bottom of the suspension arm. So, I had to lay a couple of 2X6s beneath each front wheel for clearance, which further aggrevated positioning.

That was my first attempt and I really didn't expect it to go in without a fight.

The other reason I like the cross member mod is that, I would like to have multiple engines I can swap quickly and simply unbolting it seems like it would make this easier.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 12, 2014 09:06PM

Gary, it is not necessary to cut the crossmember. Nor in the opinion of many is it desirable. Your '78 is designed to accept that powertrain without modifications.

Now it may help you to elevate the rear of the car, but if it looks to you like cutting is required I would suggest that you are missing something else. Someone here can tell you what it is I have no doubt.

Jim

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: June 13, 2014 08:45AM

Quote:
Your '78 is designed to accept that powertrain without modifications.....

True, with the notable exception for the T5 xsmn requiring some metal relief at point 'A'.
If you really need to modify the xsmn xmbr, consider Bill Guzman's approach

BillGuzman-37.jpg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 13, 2014 10:23AM

There are lots of alternatives.

Have a look in the Photo Gallery for removable slam panels. That's the panel where the bonnet latch is. Jim Stuart pioneered the idea of making that part into a bolt-on, so that the engine/transmission assembly can be brought into the bay at a lower angle.

Alternatively, you might consider setting the transmission more-or-less in place and then lowering the engine in to meet it. That's what I prefer. (I don't own a hoist. Instead, I use a ratcheting trailer tie-down looped over a rafter. The aluminum V8 is so light...) I don't remove the transmission when I pull the engine, and I don't disturb the engine to pull the transmission or service the clutch. I can get away with that because my home-made transmission tunnel is oversize, but I didn't modify my center crossmember at all.

Johnous
John Montgomery

(22 posts)

01/11/2010 01:29PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Roadster 3.5L British Leyland V8

Posted by: Johnous
Date: June 13, 2014 12:36PM

I have the same set up, a 3.5 L with a Ford T5 in a 1978 B. I had \the transmission tunnel (At Point 'A') heightened by 1.5 inches for things to fit. This was accomplished by welding in a box insert, and seems preferable to cutting structural cross brace at point 'B'. Granted, I am also using engine mounts that move things a bit back than typical.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 13, 2014 01:35PM

Don't cut it! Unnecessary surgery.

The box insert mentioned by John is needed for the Rover LT77 tranny, but not the T-5. The Buick/Rover & T-5 (mine's a GM T-5) only requires a bit of massaging with a 4lb hammer at point A. Not much. I put the rearend on jackstands & used a hoist with fabric belt thru the intake manifold to slide for the angle, then used a floor jack under the tranny. Put the engine/trans in & out 3 times by myself. Piece o' cake. If your T-5 has that extra flnage at the bottom to bolt the torque bar to (Camaro/Firebird) you can remove that for additional clearance. I didn't, but it would have helped.

mgb4tim
Tim Nagy
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
(44 posts)

11/22/2008 06:38PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB 5.0 EFI

Posted by: mgb4tim
Date: June 27, 2014 09:10AM

Sooooo, do you think a 4# hand sledge will help squeeze a Ford AOD into a 71? LOL

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: June 27, 2014 03:23PM

I cut the support under the radio, hammered the tunnel up, and welded the support back together (only somewhat shorter). This was easy but maybe not necessary...

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1042 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: June 29, 2014 04:15AM

Never owned a BV8, but typically the Rover with SU carbs was installed with the engine sloping down towards the rear. It's that way in the SD1, and in my Lightweight.
If you're trying to install it level that may be part of the problem.

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.