engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" and Costello V8s

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

bugguy79
michael fisher

(4 posts)

12/07/2013 08:18AM

Main British Car:

headers with IFS-Does this look correct anyone??
Posted by: bugguy79
Date: July 20, 2014 12:57PM

After installing my fender headers from Fast Cars with the Fast Cars IFS, seems that the collector is directly centered over one of the tubes on the lower control arm on each. Is this correct? Even if they were to be cut, seems like the elbow would hit and not enough room for suspension travel.
Engine: Ford 302
Front susp: Fast Cars IFS with Ford 302 motor mounts.

Comments welcomed.
Mike
headers with IFS driver1.jpg
headers with IFS pass1.jpg

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: headers with IFS-Does this look correct anyone??
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: July 20, 2014 03:04PM

I'll think you'll find that once the elbow/exhaust is routed and tucked under the chassis, that there will be no interference with any front suspension component.Trimming back the collector is a possibility depending on the elbow.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: July 20, 2014 07:37PM

Here's a photo of Ted's headers/exhaust and the relationship to the std MG lower arm - about 2-1/4" to 2-1/2" clearance
Exhheader to strg arm.jpg

bugguy79
michael fisher

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 21, 2014 10:04AM

Thanks Graham for your help. You can see where I slipped the elbow on already and the line where it stopped. If you look at the pics on Ted's website, it sure looks like the collector is offset, just enough...im talking 1". Your setup is close, but the IFS from Fast Cars is wider both on upper and lower control arms so it's even closer and less tolerance than with the ugraded MG susp components such as in your pic. I attached a pic with the elbow on and it actually hits the arm! So the collector for sure has to be cut. I asked Ted this, but he insisted on sending them back to him and ended up just refunding my $$. Looking thru the others on BV8, hardly anyone has the Fast Cars IFS with fender headers. It's either modified MGB crossmember with fender headers OR IFS with block huggers. Very frustrating.
pass with elbow.jpg

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: July 21, 2014 12:23PM

How about cutting the collector up a couple of inches and using two 45 degree exhaust elbows instead of a single 90* pipe...I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

bugguy79
michael fisher

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 21, 2014 01:00PM

That is probably what I'm going to have to do, use the 45s vice 90s. Separate question, where did you obtain the MG V8 decal/symbol from?

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: July 21, 2014 02:17PM

Quote:
Separate question, where did you obtain the MG V8 decal/symbol from.

Made from scratch. The 'MG' is cut from the early radio blanking insignia, the 'V8' is the original badging for the MGB GTV8 and the 'Ford' badge is from a steering wheel/airbag module.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: July 21, 2014 05:12PM

Dave Kirkman is running a FastCars front suspension with Ted's RV8 style headers on his conversion.

[www.britishv8.org]

Dave is currently in Colorado at BritishV8 2014 with his car.

rubbinisracin
Ivan Collins

(38 posts)

03/19/2013 09:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rubbinisracin
Date: July 21, 2014 05:52PM

I have the Fast Cars IFS and I always thought those headers that went to the center were a little strange, however folks seem to make them work. As you can see in the first few photos of my build, I offset the collector toward the firewall. Definitely clears the suspension but I do get some frame contact and adds a little more heat to the firewall. So I guess what I'm saying is pick your poison.

[www.britishv8.org]

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: July 21, 2014 09:39PM

Quote:
Dave Kirkman is running a FastCars front suspension with Ted's RV8 style headers on his conversion

Not quite that easy Rick - Dave, and a few others, use Coyote headers which are the originals developed by Steve Carrick before Ted took over and started to supply. Steve's collector location was a couple of inches further rearward - Ted's new design, like Michaels, allows full lock to lock wheel cut without tires hitting the collector..

bugguy79
michael fisher

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 22, 2014 08:17AM

All: Correct, Dave Kirkman is running this combo. Unfortunately, no photos of the actual area of concern. Ted did mention about the tires possibly rubbing, however, I only have 15" rims with 205-50-15, so fairly low profile of tire. I ended up ordering a different set from someone else. We shall see how these others work out.

rubbinisracin
Ivan Collins

(38 posts)

03/19/2013 09:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rubbinisracin
Date: July 22, 2014 08:21AM

Also, on mine I am running 225 40 R17 tires in the front. The wheels are 8 inch wide, and I cant remember the offset at this moment but thats a lot of tire to stuff in that area so you might want to consider your wheel tire combo before making the headers. I know for me back toward the firewall was the only place there was space for the collector given my tire and wheel sizes. I ended up cutting my headers up and re-making them to fit once I finalized my wheel choice.

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: August 02, 2014 07:12PM

Same issue. We just heated the collectors and bent them rearward. I was concerned about the A-arm bushing getting too hot. So far no indication of degradation.

MGB 76.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 03, 2014 12:58AM

I have Teds IFS, but like Dave, I have Steve's original header design. Looking at your pictures, are you sure simply shortening the collector isn't all that's needed? On mine, the 90 is tight to the frame rail - maybe an inch of clearance at most. The motor mounts Ted uses don't allow the motor to move much at all, so not a lot of clearance needed for the exhaust elbows. And since the A-arms pivot from that inboard point, they're not going to move much. I doubt you need more than 2 1/2" clearance to the lower A arm. But you can check by removing the shock and moving the suspension through its range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 08:58AM by rficalora.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.