(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Off topic - Hurricane Ike
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 12, 2008 05:32PM

Ok guys, I got home from Palo Alto last night (came home a day early) & just spent the day putting everything outside that that isn't permanantly mounted in the garage. I hope it was all for naught, but at least I don't have to worry about the kid's trampoline coming through a window!

Oh, & this is the first time in 2 years I've been able to get both cars + the MG project in the garage at the same time!! Hope my wife doesn't expect it to stay that way :)

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Re: Off topic - Hurricane Ike
Posted by: psmg
Date: September 12, 2008 05:53PM

Rob,
Good luck to you and your family. That hurricane looks pretty intimidating on all the news media and I hope it falls apart quickly after attaining land. Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a safe weekend. We'll be watching closely.

Paul

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: September 12, 2008 08:30PM

Yep, good luck Rob - time to hunker down and wait it out.
Gasoline prices went up 16 cents /litre last night arouind here, apparently due to the speculation of refinery disruption in Houston. Our local gasoline is refined 50 miles from here in Sarnia, so I'm at a loss to understand the logic.
I bet prices don't recover as fast when Ike fizzles out....what an elaborate con job!
...OK, off my soapbox.

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Posted by: t.lay
Date: September 12, 2008 11:47PM

Good luck Rob, crossing our fingers for you and your family.

Bruce Mills
Bruce Mills
Vancouver Canada
(71 posts)

11/28/2007 09:31PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB Roadster 3.5 Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: Bruce Mills
Date: September 13, 2008 01:04AM

Good Luck Rob.

I filled up my work truck and an hour later filled up the B, gas had gone up 3 cents per liter in that time frame for something which hasn't happened yet.

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Posted by: psmg
Date: September 13, 2008 01:50PM

Rob,

You guys really got hit hard. Are you OK?? The damage Houston incurred was horrendous and I don't believe it was expected. I never knew where Cypress,TX was, but I do now. I hope you and your family survived without extensive damage. Let us know when you get a chance.

Paul

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 13, 2008 07:37PM

Thanks for the prayers & well wishes... we're fine & fared extremely well. No idea what the winds were, but they blew pretty hard & steady from about 3:30 or 4:00am through about 8 or 9am this morning. No real damage to our place -- about a quarter of the shingles on a shed I have in the back yard blew off, the little canopy on top of the swingset is gone along with the 2 boards that held it on, and a door on a little out door cabinet was broken off. Looks like similar minor stuff to the rest of the houses on our street. On the main street in the neighborhood most of the fences were blown down & same with probably about 1/3 of the trees -- most of the less mature ones. We're pretty high (by houston standards anyway) so no flooding either. Biggest issue we have is no power. I'm guessing it'll be back on sometime tomorrow or the next day because a few areas around us already have power back but the official story is it could take as much as 2 weeks.

We fared really well. The eye came into Galveston & went straight up I-45. Cypress is about 20 miles west of that -- by being on the "clean side" of the storm it wasn't too bad (the NW quadrant always gets the brunt of the winds). The folks south & east of us really got hit hard -- I've talked with a few friends that live down that way & the pictures you're probably seeing on TV are pretty representative from their reports.

Since we didn't have power & my wife's parents live near by (College Station - home of Texas A&M University) we came here this evening. I'll go back tomorrow to see if we have power yet.

Thanks again for the prayers!

Rob

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: September 13, 2008 08:43PM

I am gald you are ok Rob. I much rather have a quake, they only last a few minutes.

It looked pretty bad in Texas. Let us know if you need anything.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: September 14, 2008 01:03AM

Glad to hear everything went well for your family. Can't say I would care for hurricanes or earth quakes even once every 10 years. Would rather take Eight feet of snow and the tornado that blows through every 5 years within 30 miles of our place.

-BMC.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: September 14, 2008 08:09AM

Glad to hear you all are ok. Man, you dodged a bullet.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 15, 2008 01:29PM

Danged ol' hurricanes anyway.
No power or cable, shingles in the yard, roof vent zippered about 1/3 way down, trees snapped off, barn door is on it's roof and the pool's full of crud. What a sight to come home to. Well at least the drive back from Townsend was uneventful other than the crosswinds all the way. Luckily the shop still had power so I was able to backfeed the house and we'll have lights and hot water until the lines go back up. We are quite fortunate. Cable came back about an hour ago, and we've got a good start on the pool cleanup. Lots of folks are running generators, if they have them. There are some gasoline shortages popping up. So I'm thinking if it's like this here, what must it be like around Galveston and Houston? Not good I'm sure. Soon as I get a little caught up I'll check the news. That sucker musta been a monster.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 15, 2008 09:19PM

Glad you didn't have any more problems Jim. Galveston is like a war zone. reports from Beaumont which is south east of Houston are approx 4 weeks till they get power in less populated areas; Galveston will likely take longer to be fully back on line.

Heard on the news today they'd restored 550,000 homes w/power & have 1.5million to go. We always seem to get power back pretty quick where I live. I'm thinking it has something to do w/the fact that a Centerpoint (electric company) equipment staging area is right out the back entrance to the neighborhood -- some of the guys who work out of that station probably live in the area & take care of their own! If I knew who they were I'd be over fixing their fences or getting rid of downed trees for them while they're out getting power going for the rest of us. Here we are about 1 1/2 days after the storm passed & the media is already looking for "who to blame" for the "slow response" -- those guys, the guys hauling gas to the gas stations, etc., etc. deserve to be commended with how quickly they get stuff going again -- there's a lot of places it'd take months to do what we see happening in days...

Ok, i guess i started on a rant there... just burns me up to listen to some of the media.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: September 15, 2008 11:14PM

The media is putting themselves out of business.

Glad that everyhting is ok with you and your family

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.