Pittsburgh-area, PA
(35 posts)

09/17/2008 11:52AM

Main British Car:
1962 215 4bbl

Re: body shells
Posted by: Bustedbuick
Date: September 29, 2008 11:51PM

You're right, an eyes-on is certainly necessary.

Just to play devil's advocate, using the "sell it off and recoup some/all of the purchase price" model, the highly optioned car should be good for $4,500 with just two parts sold.

A Moss Supercharger is discontinued, but selling on EnglishParts.com for $3,229.95 -- so call it $3,000.

It also has overdrive. So, say $1,500. There are lots of assorted parts that come with the supercharger sale, so there's more aggravation than just unbolting an alternator or carb, but that's not bad for a used part.

Also, your comment about the GTs back seat puzzles me. The seat certainly looks uncomfortable, but I could make it legal with the installation of lap belts. The picture you posted, probably with a touch of humor that I may be missing -- that I can't see being legal under any circumstance.

Maybe you could clarify what I am probably missing. Is the back seat that bad that you wouldn't put someone else's kids back there?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 30, 2008 01:46AM

It's been about twenty years since I actually had the back seat installed, but...

On my GT, I've got the two main seats bolted down solid (i.e. without adjusters) and the backs of the two seats are literally touching the bulkhead. I'm six foot two, and I need that much legroom to be comfortable driving. A small child could possibly sit sideways in the back seat area, with their feet up, but I don't see how they could ride with their feet/knees forward. A child that small really should have a purpose-built child safety seat anyway. So, all I'm really getting at is that a B convertible is as practical for hauling a third passenger as a GT is.

Kevin Richards' factory MGB GT V8...
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KevinRichards/KR-BattDisconnect.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 30, 2008 08:19AM

Just bear in mind that what it looks like you should be able to get out of surplus used parts and what you do get are often vastly different things. For peace of mind it'd be better to halve the proceeds. That way if you do get more it's a bonus.

Jim

Bustedbuick
Matt Junker
Pittsburgh-area, PA
(35 posts)

09/17/2008 11:52AM

Main British Car:
1962 215 4bbl

Posted by: Bustedbuick
Date: September 30, 2008 11:28AM

Jim,

That's excellent advice.

Thanks,
Matt

I'm interested in what people think about the shell-only option. How much would it cost to equip a car like that, from tires to top? I am guessing far more than I'd like, and that it would take a LOT of time.

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Posted by: t.lay
Date: September 30, 2008 02:18PM

I'm pretty much there - starting with a shell. I was starting a grassroots motorsports challenge car - blew the deadline and really liked the look of the car - so the plan b is a 5k budget (I reserve the right to double it). Started with a $150 shell - by dumb luck ended up with a spare, working 1800 engine and an od transmission. Selling off the engine and tranny paid for new body panels, a running 5.0 core, t5 tranny and an 8.8 rear end. Where the money starts flowing out is engine/trans rebuild, wiring, guages, fuel delivery, suspension wheels/tires (doing my own bodywork, but that will still probably cost $500 and the interior will be another grand)... Little stuff will bite you - lights, holders, trim pieces, controls... will add up to to a couple of thou before you know it if you have to buy it.

mg engine and od tranny were pretty easy to sell. Other parts I can barely give away unless I'm willing to hold on to them long enough for someone who needs them.

Start with the best/most complete donor you can find. Don't count on recouping a ton unless you can afford the time and space.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 30, 2008 07:47PM

BlownMGB-V8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For peace of mind it'd be better to halve
> the proceeds. That way if you do get more it's a
> bonus.
>
> Jim

That's how my dad taught me... expect the worst. You either get what you expected or you're pleasantly surprised :)

I essentially parted out my car since most everything is new or replaced... I've cleared about $1400 in parts -- a few major items like short block, cylinder head, starter, alternator, etc. & lots of little things -- reverse switch, angle drive, a few gauges, brake calipers, etc.... the problem is it takes tons of time to take pictures, list on eBay, box & weigh for shipping estimates, etc. I've been keeping track of all the parts I've bought & I'm around triple Tim's budget... but I did go expensive on wheels, air conditioning, Ted's front end, IRS, etc. Could be done for way less without those & related expenses -- and if you have time to work trades with others. Don't forget hardware; if you start with a bare body shell you won't have a ton of bolts; that alone can ring up more than you might expect so if you're parting out, bag & tag that stuff; it can clean up nicely & be reused.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.