spycarrussell
Russell Levine

(15 posts)

09/24/2009 07:24AM

Main British Car:

What's my BV8 project worth?
Posted by: spycarrussell
Date: November 24, 2014 06:14PM

I regretably need to sell my '78 MGB project car and would love some imput as to its value. I have welded in new floors and a new trunk floor, installed a new gas tank and replaced much of the interior trim. The car has a drivetrain from a Triumph TR8 and block-hugging headers but no exhaust hooked up from there. I was going to add a remote oil filter and bought the kit but didn't install it yet. The seats were shot so I removed the components from the frames but was on the search for Miata seats so never went any further.

The body probably could use new sills but look OK so I didn't do them--the previous owner likely bondo-ed and covered up the rot (based on the condition of the floors, etc.)

I have a quality fabric beige top to be installed (nice with the black body work) and have replaced one of the vent window/frames.

This is very much a work in progress so I don't expect to recoup anywhere near my near $10k investment.

The drivetrain was said to run and pull strong before being yanked out of the TR8 so I expect approx. 175bhp or so. I also haven't done the driveshaft yet so that along with a proper geared rearend is going to be a desired mod as well.

Stock wire wheels, rear end, front/rear suspension, etc.

Can anyone estimate the value of this project? I'll probably list it in Bring-A-Trailer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Russell

Photos to follow

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Re: What's my BV8 project worth?
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: November 26, 2014 05:38AM

Hi Russell,
It's worth a whole lot more if it's a running car. Any chance of getting it running under it's own power before listing it? I think a running project would be much easier to get rid of then a non running, driving car. Not complete, just able to move on it's own.

I would suspect your circumstances aren't going to allow that as you wouldn't be selling it unless you had to after sinking 10 grand in it. If you got the right person from one of these groups then maybe 4-5. During the holidays and during winter a little tougher, maybe half that. If it was me I would start with an ad on this group and see if anyone is in between projects. I would think you would rather see it go to a "good home". People on these groups have a better idea of the costs and work involved in these projects. I would much rather buy a project where I didn't have to do the floorboards yet again!

Bring a Trailer is a great site but I forget to check it all the time and by the time they send out the newsletter the cars that I like are gone.

Good luck on the sale.
Cheers,
Bill

spycarrussell
Russell Levine

(15 posts)

09/24/2009 07:24AM

Main British Car:

Re: What's my BV8 project worth?
Posted by: spycarrussell
Date: November 26, 2014 05:12PM

Thanks Bill. Honest, candid and smart advice!
-Russell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.