Brad Chapman

(1 posts)

09/28/2008 08:08AM

Main British Car:

Newbie Starting MGB GT conversion 3.5 Rover
Posted by: evoconvert
Date: September 28, 2008 08:32AM

Hi all

I recently found your site and must commend all for thier fantastic contributions.

I am starting a 1975 rubber bumper conversion down here is Australia. I have purchased some Hugger exhaust and a fresh 3.5 Rover engine with cam, Offenhauser, webber etc.
I have read the conversion pages but still have the following questions:
1. Do i still have to modify the bulk head if I am using the standard gearbox with the Costello adaptor plate?
2. Do I have to alter the steering shaft/Angle to clear the block?

All coments would help as I am finding my way as I go! I know the supra / rover box would be a better box but I am trying to keep the conversion as simple as posible as I have some time constraints.

Thanks again from OZ
Brad

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Newbie Starting MGB GT conversion 3.5 Rover
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 29, 2008 12:29AM

Hi Brad - welcome to the message board!

I think you're going to find out that the bulkhead and steering shaft probably don't need modification - depending on your motor-mounts - but your car is different-enough from mine that I'm sure someone else will give you more definitive answers.

This car is pretty similar in spec:
Martyn Harvey's red 1977 MGB with Buick 3.5L V8 (17 photos)
(Notice that this car has block-huggers until recently... some of the photos are "before" and some "after".)
Martyn checks in pretty often - but I've been keeping him busy writing a new "Canadian Corner" column. I'm sure you'll get a nice range of good advice shortly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.