Evan Ayers

(3 posts)

01/30/2015 10:41AM

Main British Car:

1979 Midget Engine Swap (Subaru)?
Posted by: Evanaka
Date: January 30, 2015 10:49AM

Howdy Folks,
I recently acquired a running 1979 MG Midget and have plans to restore the body, as I was doing my once over listing everything that I wanted to do to the car, I realized that it wouldn't be a terrible idea to supe it up a little and give it some more pep. As far as modern era import cars I am very much a subie guy (2000 outback, '05 STi) and a 2.0 WRX engine would be a dream in a little car like a midget. I'm putting this out there just as a idea looking for everyone else's $0.02 on the matter, but I do realize going in that due to different shapes and styles it would be quite a bit of modding and fab to get that engine to sit happily. Let me know, thanks!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 1979 Midget Engine Swap (Subaru)?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 30, 2015 12:14PM

Welcome to BritishV8! This is obviously the place for you.

Subaru engines certainly have a lot going for them, and all wheel drive could be very interesting in a sportscar too. Getting all that to fit underneath a Midget sounds fairly insane. And of course a Midget would require so much reinforcement. I could much more easily imagine combining the Subaru drivetrain and suspension with a custom frame placed underneath a Triumph Spitfire or TR7 body - with really wide fender flares. The Spitfire body was made to sit on a frame. The TR7 is unibody, which might imply dead weight or more cutting - but in my imagination the wedge shape just screams "Rally Car!", and the TR7/Subaru combo therefore makes sense to me in some crazy way. Just from an aesthetic point of view, IMHO, Midgets look best when they sit REALLY low. I sometimes daydream about a Midget atop a Mazda RX-7 or RX-8 chassis.

Evanaka
Evan Ayers

(3 posts)

01/30/2015 10:41AM

Main British Car:

Re: 1979 Midget Engine Swap (Subaru)?
Posted by: Evanaka
Date: January 30, 2015 04:40PM

I appreciate the feedback! And that is an interesting idea. The TR7 is a great car (although the TR6 is my favorite body of the TR's) but I could definitely see putting a turo-charged power house under that hood. Another thought i had was the GT6+ which is just a beauty. Another Forum suggested i find a Justy engine and turbo that, which doesn't sound half bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.