Current Page: 6 of 6

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: mgb260
Date: April 21, 2020 02:15PM

Perry, Time for the Powerglide upgrade? Keep us posted on your progress!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: April 24, 2020 06:37PM

Exactly Carl!

The bar wheels hit down way too soon eh? They were just acting as levers to unload the rear tyres eh?

That will be rectified for next time out after the tranny rebuild.

Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 25, 2020 05:05PM

Jim!
I was offered the use of the Glide from the Slingshot my friend runs Which I have also driven down to 9.4 on part throttle :) Damn! that's a scary thing to drive for sure. Sadly too much messing around to get it fitted for a trial run I think. I will wait for lockdown to end so I can get my 350 refurbished with better sprags and clutch packs etc. Then I can go testing again. I'm itching to get this thing back on track asap. I know I may have to wait until late in the season and weather may not be good when I can eventually roll her out again. Based on my old calcs of the old Blown and Nitroused Rover engine I am Sure that the car will run as low as 9.3 on the nasp SBC motor. I need to confirm that on pump gas and then try C16 fuel to see if it will do any better?
THEN I will have my baseline tune on both fuels for the MGB. If the car only makes say 9.4 on track I know that I can get into the 8's with a sniff of gas for sure. Exiting times are ahead for sure Guys! Its all down to when lockdown ends and when I have the spare money to refurb the tranny.

Regards to all and please stay safe.

Perry

427ZA
Ian Metcalf
Milton Keynes, UK
(36 posts)

08/15/2009 12:57PM

Main British Car:
1955 MG Magnette 427ci Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: 427ZA
Date: June 05, 2020 05:29PM

Pel!!
It’s great to see the old fighting B back out on track at long last, it’s been an epic journey for you and I hope those 8’s come rolling in soon!
Have a chat with Paul at Edge Performance Transmissions. He has mine in for a complete rebuild at the moment and is also supplying a torque converter that’s matched exactly to my car and drive-train so I won’t drive through it at the top end or over power when launching and it will still be road friendly.
They’re really great to deal with and keep you updated through the process.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 05, 2020 06:01PM

Perry, Thanks for the update!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 27, 2020 04:38PM

WOW!
Over 6 months from my last comment Guys!

Sadly! I lost my job due to Covid. Its been a whirlwind of events since 30th June 2020. Two months of of being out of a job and then finding a new job with 50% less salary that JUST pays the monthly bills.

So the race budget is now shot to buggery for the time being eh?

I have managed to get my gearbox refurbished and I picked it up last week thanks to my friends at TCA transmissions in the UK.
The engine and tranny have been out of the car for several weeks. The engine is lame on cylinder 2 though. Number 2 still fires but when I put my hand over the zoomies when the engine is idling, Number two only gives my hand a gentle hot push instead of feeling like someone has whacked my hand with a bat.

I will not know what the problem is until I do a compression test and then a leak down test eh? I'm hoping that its not a ring issue with possible bore damage.?

The next part of the story is that I DO need to remove the cart springs and fit a decent 4-6 link rear end if I am going to find that 8 second timing ticket. Even with the lame number 2 cylinder, I think I can go sub 9 seconds with a new rear end fitted,

As money is now an issue due to redundancy, I will have to do whatever I can in 2021 to even get the MGB back on track for fun runs!

Regards to all

Perry

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 27, 2020 08:40PM

Perry, Thanks for checking in with us! #2 could be valves also. Art Morrison 4 link kit is what my brother used with his Vega ProGas. Perry, hang in there!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 28, 2020 01:07PM

Perry, you might pull your valve cover and check how much lift you are getting on #2. With flat tappets lobe damage is a thing.

Jim

Anarchy99
Jim Purdy
Memphis, TN
(156 posts)

12/06/2013 03:54PM

Main British Car:
61 austin healey sprite LS6

Posted by: Anarchy99
Date: December 28, 2020 06:49PM

I love reading this thread. I'm definitely thinking about the same type wheelie bar setup for my sprite as I'm finishing it up again soon. Repairing front ends gets old in a hurry.
Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.