Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: April 11, 2015 06:16PM

Hi guys !
I have decided to get rid of the Rover V8. The engine has done really well for me, but I need more power now. The last mistake with running the new tune without wheelie bars caused me to spin two bearing shells due to the angle of the car off the line. I was very upset about the damage but it was my fault as I should have had the wheelie bars fitted. So I have decided to rebuild the Rover with a new offset ground crank and new chevy rods which will be modified to my old specs. I want to sell the engine and I wont bodge it up to make it work by using the scuffed crank and two scuffed rods. So its all new parts and a fresh build so I can sell the engine in "as new" condition as a complete unit including the 4/71 and induction system.

Hopefully the new owner will have fun with it.

I now have a 4 bolt small block chevy engine as the core for the new build for the MGB.
All of the internals will be removed and the block will be checked for line bore and straightness etc.
Then it will be cleaned and honed so i know what my final bore size will be.

I have already bought some of the new parts for the engine which include:

A pair of Brodix 225 cc dragon slayer heads.
MSD digital 7 ign system.
MSD billet dissy.
Comp cams noisy cam gear drive.
Edelbrock dual quad tunnel ram inlet manifold.
Two 600 dp Holley carbs.
A set of comp cams Pro Magnum stainless steel roller rockers.
Comp cams 12-773-8 mech roller camshaft.
Comp cams mech roller lifters.
Enderle twin carb linkage kit.
Hedman Husler Zoomies.
A pair of vintage MT ally valve covers.

I will buy a full forged and balanced rotating assembly when I know what the final bore size will be as I am looking for a CR around 12:1 or as close as I can get to it.

The list of small parts is going to be quite large as I need stuff like starter motor, electric water pump, sump pan, alternator, front timing cover, plug leads, shotgun scoop for dual quad setup, gaskets all round, a custom made radiator, radiator fans, push rods, ARP stuff all round, and minor stuff like valve cover bolts, plug lead separators, crank trigger wheel, crank sensor etc etc..... The list will no doubt grow :)

My intention is to build a base engine that will produce 700hp on the carbs alone. But with internals that will cope with around 1000hp as I may want to run nitrous in the future ?

I want this to be my last engine build for the MGB. And I want it to be able to run back in the mid 9's on the strip without being stressed. And I then want it to run the MGB into the 8's with a little nitrous or race fuel and more timing ?

I have to admit that I have enjoyed the years of learning how to the get the Rover V8 to make good power. And I am now doing it all over again with the SBC. The main difference being that the Rover is expensive on parts to make good power. But the SBC has been used in the USA for many years and from what I can see all of the research has already been done. I just need to ask the right questions to the suppliers of parts and I can get what I need to build the new engine I want ;)

Regards
Perry

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: mgb260
Date: April 11, 2015 09:05PM

Hey, Perry! How's the rear axle holding up? Lots of proven parts for the SBC. I see some 8 second times in your future!

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: April 11, 2015 09:11PM

Sorry to see you leaving the Rover behind but glad that you are going the SBC route. Hard to beat the power to Dollar ratio of a SBC.
Cheers,
Bill

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: April 11, 2015 09:37PM

What kind of power were you getting from the Rover? You should have a lot of fun with the Chevy and more worry free.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 14, 2015 06:22PM

Hi guys!

The rear end is holding up just fine so far.

The old Rover made 525 on the dyno for its last run on the safe tune before I fitted the zoomies. This was with timing knocked back by 10 degree's from where it should have been. When i fitted the zoomies my dyno guy did not want to run the car on the rollers as he did not want the dyno room to be filled with fumes. since then I added 8 degree's of timing and another 25 shot of gas. So i'm guessing the engine ended up making around 580hp ?

The $ / £ ratio of buck to bang with the SBC is now the main factor for the MGB. I am going to build the SBC for half the cost of what the MGB is putting out now I think :)

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 15, 2015 07:24AM

The SBC is a known winning combination that you can hardly go wrong with. While just shy of 600 HP with a Rover is quite an accomplishment the Chevy will be more reliable at those power levels, and as you say, cheaper. Too bad about the extra weight, but with enough horsepower who cares, right?

Jim

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 25, 2015 04:33PM

Thats my train of thought Guys !

I still feel a little sting about retiring the Rover V8 as it came from the factory with one fitted. But I'm 57 this year and I'm tired of developing the Rover engine now on a limited budget. Despite my inbred British loyalty to the MGB and the Rover engiine its time to do the sensible thing and fit better motor for what I need the car to do now. I have set aside £1000.00 to get the old engine back as new. Then I will sell it for £6,000 if I'm lucky. That will still see me £6,000 in the hole, but it will mean I have that money to finish the SBC by the end of this year.

And hopefully the SBC will pull me into the 9's as a baseline on the carbs once its been shook down, :)

September is when I hope to be driving the MGB again and if i get enough track time I can tune it ready for the 2016 season ?

Regards
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 22, 2015 03:08PM

I now have a buyer on the hook for the long engine only for £3300.00 so that means when i sell the whole blower and inlet setup I should almost hit my £6000 goal. :)

Sadly work and family / home stuff are sucking up my spare time. But I still hope to have the new engine built and ready to drop in by Christmas time. So realistically I want to see the car back on track around April 2016 ;)

More parts are arriving. I now have a very nice Moroso Electric water pump :)

Regards to all

Perry

billymgb1000
bill gaulin
harrisville R.I.
(74 posts)

11/30/2012 12:31AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB V8 LS1 5.3

Posted by: billymgb1000
Date: July 22, 2015 06:37PM

Hello Perry I hope the sbc does it for you, they are proven no doubt. If you didn't already have that motor I would say LS1 that motor is incredible 5.7 or the 6.0 and now the 6.2 just think 6 bolt mains and aluminum heads from factory the ls1 tech.com site is full of guys drag racing these motors and now they are putting turbos. and makind 1000hp anyways good luck and keep us updated

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 23, 2015 10:10AM

Bill's right about the LS engines, they have simply taken over. There have been a few swapped into MGBs also. Scott had his LS4 conversion at the meet last week, very nicely done. Several engines in the series could be suitable, all with the same basic size package. It is definitely worth looking at.

You could look at the older SBC as a stepping stone, but much has changed between the two, so it could make more sense to go with one of the less expensive LS versions and upgrade that later.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 23, 2015 10:54AM

We need to rethink this engine. Perry, how in the world did you decide on a 383 long stroke torque motor for that lightweight MGB?

If it's 383 vs 377, I would take the shorter stroke 377 every time. Of course, you need a 400 block & 350 crank.

For a dedicated drag car, too much torque off the line is not a good thing. A better breathing high revving engine is, IMO. More fun to run 'em down & pass 'em on the big end of the track anyway. :)

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 23, 2015 12:41PM

Perry, I agree with Carl in theory but for inexpensive build the 4" bore is best. The 383 low end torque will be moderated with a cam one size bigger in duration than you think you need. Install straight up and move the power curve up. Make sure and do the 6" long rod version with shorter lighter piston. Your next upgrade may be a Powerglide. Keep us posted.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 23, 2015 05:27PM

The 377 uses a 0.030" overbore 400 for a 4.128 bore that unshrouds the bore even more. The 383 will be externally balanced & not near as smooth as the 377.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 23, 2015 05:58PM

Scat sells a reasonably priced internally balanced crank + 6" rods for the 383. Ebay has a deal on Howard's Forged pistons for that combo also at $450. My brother raced a SBC 400 Pro Gas/Bracket Vega. Body was just a shell with Lexan windows and roll cage. He used block filler, head studs and expensive custom forged pistons. Victor intake with 850 Holley double pumper. He used a Comp cams grind also. It was a screamer and made it to low 9 ET's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 07:13PM by mgb260.

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pcmenten
Date: July 23, 2015 07:20PM

Funny. I would have started with a 400 4-bolt block and either offset grind the stock crank (417 ci) to use 327 rods, or picked up an aftermarket crank (427+ ci). That's as big as the larger LS engines. No replacement for displacement. Heads are plentiful and cheap. Roller cam conversion is also simple.

I built a 400 for a 55 Chevy but sold them both (together) before the project got done.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 26, 2015 09:08AM

Perry, Here is a good article on building the 383:

[www.hotrod.com]

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 28, 2015 05:36PM

Thanks for the feedback chaps! I'll be doing some reading :)

I think most of the reading will be done in the next 3 weeks while I'm off work for my summer holidays ;)

Perry

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 15, 2015 07:35PM

Perry, Anything new? How did the mounts work out?

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 24, 2015 07:35PM

Hi guys!
The mount frame looks like it will be ok.The SBC is still just a heap of boxes and loose parts right now.

I'm just spending some time rebuilding the Rover to as new spec for the new customer who will be handing over £6k ($9,200.00) in cash in a few weeks,

I have to say that I am more than happy that my old engine will be going inbto another MGB. This is Phil Herricks old SuperBee. The SuperBee is at least 500lbs lighter than my GT and it just ran a new PB of 12.2 with its 360hp Rover V8 fitted. I think my Rover V8 with the blower and nitrous with the extra 220hp will push it hard onto the low 9's

I am still deciding on my final choice for the rotating assembly. But it will be all forged components that will be internally balanced. I'm thinking 12.0:1 CR for use on pump gas so I can squeeze all I can from the engine just on the carbs while still leaving some room for the additon of nitrous. Another change for later will be to remove the TH350 and fit a Glide. But for 2016 I will have to keep the TH350.
I may have to alter the rear end ratio for the SBC engine as it will rev and pull much higher than the old Rover did. I cant afford to mess with the 3.07:1 MGB axle which I fitted Ford 9" internals to, so I may end up fitting smaller slicks instead ?

Whatever happens with the build I will just test and log data as I normally do until it runs an 8 :)

I'm not bothered about the additional weight of the SBC because I'm not fitting the blower assembly on this engine. I think the fiinal engine weight will be very close to what i have now with the blown Rover setup ?

I am also in the thought process re making this a Methanol engine ?

I have lots of things to think about over he next few months. Pump gas? Race Fuel? Methanol?

When i make a decision i can then select the last parts I need for rhe new build..

Regards to all

Perry

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 25, 2015 12:06PM

What did your Rover with the blower weight Perry? If you run aluminum heads and intake on the SBC you could be close. The potential for NA HP is very high of course.

Jim
Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.