Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1364 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 03, 2016 11:14PM

Totally agree with you Carl.
My old Volvo ran a 377 sbc. Pulled off an 11.82 @ 127mph and drove it to work every day for years.
These days no need for spacers or line honed 400 bearing sets. Scat and a few others make a 3.50" stroke crank in the 400 main journal size.
Makes a very nice engine. Really free reving, great breathing and for us traction challenged individuals, a bit of a torque break down low.
And like you said Carl if you're going to use a 400 crank, build a 400 and enjoy the extra cubes and bore size.

Live like you mean it
Fred

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: May 06, 2016 05:03PM

The block will be ready next tuesday as will the new rotating assembly.

Exciting times ahead guys !!

I'm still slowly saving and buying parts though. This weeks purchases were an MSD 6.25inch trigger wheel kit for the Digital 7 controller. I did scout around and even found a European supplier of MSD stuff but they were out of stock of the kit @ $389.00. This seemed to be the general price when i searched suppliers on Sunday. Then i tried the MSD website and it was on sale reduced to $291.00 so I ordered it via Ebays Global shipping programme. Postage and duty came in at around $115.00 so $406 or $280.00 ish?

And I swapped a set of new Comp Cams solid roller lifters (which are no good to me as I need 300thou taller ones for the Dart) + a little metal fabrication for a brand new in box 6.25inch crank damper. Its SFI spec and made by Fluidampr. They are around $315 in the USA but by the time its landed here in the UK with all duty paid it cost £336 delivered / $490.00 ish. This is less than the lifters cost me :)

The rule of thumb here in the UK is "whatever the $ price is will convert to £ or a little more once you have it in your hands" And that rule of thumb does seem pretty accurate :)

Thats just over £600 / $900 ish for those two small items?

I really must make a list of these prices so I can reply to those UK racers who have often slated my old Rover V8 and said the usual words of "Mate, you need to scrap that Rover and buy yourself a 350 small block, they are cheap as chips and will give you much more power" Yada Yada.. !

Obviously these guys have never actually built a 350 race engine. I think most of these guys have old cutout engines that they have freshened up for their street cruisers ?

With regards to the 300 thou taller comp cams lifters I just went to my UK supplier and the price is £546.00 or approx $792.00 ?? I will now start shopping in the USA to see if I can get a better deal.

The build is taking its time and I'm in no hurry now as I have decided to put the roll out back to May 2017 as there is so much to do besides building the new engine.

But I am pretty sure that when the car does roll out it will be very close to the mid 9's just on the carbs. Then I can start adding nitrous. OR! by the time its ready I may be able to afford a blower?

I have been off track in my car since Sept 2014 so another year wont hurt eh?

I have taken tomorrow (Saturday) off work to crew for a mate with his big block Ford Capri. Its run down to mid 8's on the carb only. Tomorrow we will be setting up the nitrous ;)

[www.youtube.com]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 06, 2016 11:27PM

Perry, you are just having altogether too much fun.

Jim

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 08, 2016 04:05PM

Jim said!
"Perry, you are just having altogether too much fun"

Thats the real truth Jim :)

Sadly I forgot my camera BUT!! The Capri rolled out for its 2016 Debut and the first pass was an 8.0 PB...
Then we backed up that 8.0 PB with a 7.7 second pass just to show off :)

The data logs showed the rear suspension loading up steadily from launch and not slipping back. The data log also showed engine rpm vs axle rpm to be very stable indicating no wheelspin.
The track was good and the car was pretty much dead hooking the slicks. The wheelie bars didnt have to work very hard either.

The downside is that we spent a good deal of time installing and testing the new Nitrous system which we didnt use. The chassis is only tagged to 7.5 and its run close to that on the carb only. So the Nitrous system may only come into play on bad days when we may need a little push around the 1000 foot mark?

Sorry for the low res vid :(

This may or maynot work

[www.facebook.com]

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 24, 2016 03:05PM

UPDATE!!

I should be able to buy my new lifters next week :)

Not sure if I mentioned this before but, I have decided to have the engine bedded in and then tuned on an engine dyno. I found a tuner who was recommended by both my engine guys and he has a good reputation. I have spoken to him about how build he wants the engine. He said to "build the engine from oil pan to carbs, fit a water pump if you want to" Thats it !! He said I could fit my dissy and trigger wheel and he will hook it up to his MSD on the dyno. He has headers that will fit my Brodix heads. He said he would mount the engine and check it over. Then do a bedding in session. He will do oil and filter change and then get to tuning. He said its a days work and will cost £400 + fuel and oil etc + tax :) I will set the carbs up as best I can based on an estimate of the engines expected VE etc and he will re jet as required during the day!!

That will save me days of track testing and reading data logs etc while taking it easy. I think this will be well worth the effort and cost ;)

I look forward to dropping and engine in thats already tuned to the max !!

I'm off work this weekend so I will try to get some pictures of thr block so far.

Regards to all
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 02, 2016 06:30PM

Update !

Not much to tell so far guys. I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks in 12 hours time. A Friend of mine is going to assemble my engine while I'm away. So I'm hoping to come back to find that the block and heads are all together with everything bar the push rods?

So i can get busy when i get back to get the warter pump and oil pan fitted ready for the engine dyno next month?

Regards
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 24, 2016 06:24PM

I got back from my holiday on 15th August and went back to work. After just 4 days it seemed like my 2 weeks in the Sun never happened ??

BUT!!
I have been to Mikes workshop and my new Dart SHP based engine is almost built ;)
I'm still working weekends again but all mike needs to do now is fit check springs so the piston to valve clearance can be checked. Next job is to fit the Tunnel Ram manifold and port match the manifold to the heads. Then I need to sort out the carb linkage for the twin side saddle Holley 600dp carbs. I have already fitted the linkage but its very stiff when opening the secondary throttle flaps and one of the carbs has a binding of the secondary flaps on the manifold for some reason? Sadly I didnt have my camera with me ;(
I did get an email from Mike while I was in the Canary Islands to say that there was a clearance issue with the polished ally timing cover and my cam gear. I'm not using a chain on this build, I'm using a 4 sprocket dog drive gear set. He said that a stock steel timing cover would be best as it would be a direct fit. I emailed him back to say "just buy a stock timing cover and fit it" His reply was... "I thought you would say that, so I bought one and fitted it already" :)

So far everything seems to be coming together ok with the new engine build. I just need to sort out this "Work / Life" balance thing. As I am working weekends so I can pay my friend to do my hobby for me? ;)

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: August 24, 2016 06:41PM

Perry, Thanks for the update! Are you running open spacers under the carbs. If you are, the throttle blades are binding in the carb base plate bores. Do they have annular boosters (better atomization, more like TBI)? Round rings above the throttle bores with small holes.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 26, 2016 03:12PM

Hi Jim!
As yet the carbs (two 600 holley double pumpers) are sitting straight on the manifold with no spacers.
My next job is to strip the cabs and give them a good going over. Then square jet them when i have figured out my best jetting size for the engine. I have a good selection of jets for a single carb but I will have to buy more jets. And we get stung for these over here as the jets are about $12 each. I'm hoping to go and look my engine over in the next few days to take some pics. The induction system may of course change between now and next May when i want to run the car. If i can save enough pennies I would like to fit a blower with a single or twin carbs on top. There is even a rumour that a twin turbo kit may be in the pipeline which I would love. But I fear that may set the build back another year. And I cant bear the thought of anymore time off track. The car has been dead in the water since Sept 2014 now. :( Thats will be 2 years next month !!

I'm fed up of being the wall flower at the track as all I can do is be pit bitch for the boys !!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 31, 2016 05:42PM

OK Guys!!

I wish i had a silk sheet to haul off this picture??

This is where we are at now with the new SBC / DART SHP build.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/mgbv8_photo/20160831_144905_zpsv3l7zidr.jpg

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: August 31, 2016 06:28PM

Perry, "BAD TO THE BONE". Southern slang from Tennessee :-)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 31, 2016 09:21PM

B-B-B Bad, Bad to the Bone. DA DA DA DA DANT. Bad to the bone!

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: September 01, 2016 07:51AM

You Got It Carl! Hell of a Ring Tone:-)

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 01, 2016 04:44PM

Can't wait to see that one.

Jim

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 05, 2016 06:04PM

There is still a lot of work to do!
I need to figure out an alternator and mount + a belt drive for it. I also need to save up for the vac pump system and belt drive.
These items can wait until after the engine dyno tuning next month though as the engine dyno guy can hook me up with whatever power I need to run the water pump and the MSD 7.

I was thinking about running twin race batteries and no alternator.? From what I unerstand my MSD 7 can draw 20 amps, I know my fan and pump will draw 17amps, I know my nitrous system could pull 60amps when pulsing 4 solenoids for a 500 shot.

And when I pull back into my pit I will want the pump and fan running until the engine has cooled down. So maybe 10-15 mins ?
I have not made up my mind yet. But I am veering towards an alternator at this time )

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 05, 2016 05:07PM

Quick Update !

I have managed to lose one of my Holley 600DP carbs??

So in the pic above I had used an unknown spare that I bought for peanuts as a spares carb. The guy said it was working on his road car and I have no doubt that it could have been. But after stripping and dipping in the ultrasonic cleaner I discovered a crack in the main body which has been badly welded. Also one of the mounting lugs has been broken off and welded back on, and its now cracking along the weld. And when I removed the front float bowl the plastic breather was missing. And someone had blocked off the hole in the jet plate with liquid metal? So this is still just a spare parts carb now. I'm now doing some research with Holley / Demon / AED etc about the price for a pair of matching race carbs made to suit my engine build.

My reason for looking into new carbs is that when I did the calcs for my new 383 build, the numbers showed that even at 100%ve at 7500 rpm the engine will only need 750cfm (ish). So with two 600cfm carbs the velocity through the venturi's will be lower than ideal. My worry is that the low velocity will not give me good atomisation of the fuel. I believe that modified boosters can be fitted to cope with the lower signal which will give me what I need. Eventually I will be putting the nitrous plates back on and that will lower the airflow through the venturi's as well, but I can compensate for that with extra fuel on the nitrous system as I have done in the past by using my lambda readings as a guide.

So 2 new matching carbs built to suit my engine should be the best way forward I think ? This will set the engine dyno day back by 3 months but so what !! The car will still be ready to move under its own steam next July as planned I think. Its been off track for 2 years now so another 8 months wont hurt. PLUS!! As I've got all new stuff from pan to scoop except the carbs it seems a little rude to not fit new carbs eh ;)

My SBC friends are convinced that one I get the engine dyno tuned and fitted it will run back in the 9's just on the carbs as they say it should make 600hp on the engine dyno. ?

Only time will tell eh :)

Regards to all

Perry

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pcmenten
Date: November 05, 2016 09:02PM

Awesome build. You are an inspiration.

I get the impression that it's not unusual to run dual Holley LIST 4150 390 CFM side-hung double-pump carbs on a dual-quad configuration. 780 total CFM. I love the look of a dual-quad setup.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: November 06, 2016 08:06AM

Hey, Perry! Check out the Quick Fuel 450cfm. Two of them would work good.

[www.quickfueltechnology.com]

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 11, 2016 06:00PM

Thanks for the comments guys!

I am now having a pair of AED 650 carbs custom built and modified for my application. The main reason for this is that AED was the only company to actually reply to my request for help.

I have been having email comms between myself and John Dickey and Jeff at AED for the last week so they could come up with a solution for my needs. In order for them to provide a solution I have had to give them all the build specs of the engine + rear gear and tyre size + a lot of other info about the engine and drivetrain + the fuel I will be using.

Long story short!!

I'm having a pair of AED carbs made to suit my exact build spec for the same price that I could buy a pair of Edelbrock 500's here in the UK ?

4 weeks and the carbs sholud be here in the UK with me so I can get them bolted on and prepare for the engine dyno :)

Regards
Perry

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 12, 2016 09:24AM

Glad you didn't go with the Edelbrock carbs. They are fine for a cruiser, but I do not consider them to be a carb for a race engine.
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.