Current Page: 4 of 6

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 24, 2018 12:50AM

Haven't heard from Perry in a while. I asked about him on the V8Owners board also. I found this picture over there:
8354967698_f74b1a5b39.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 24, 2018 09:53AM

Yeah, been patiently waiting for an update on his new engine. Hope all is well.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 07, 2018 06:01PM

Perry has a Facebook page. Maybe someone with Facebook could try to contact him?

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 07, 2018 07:34PM

He posted today over on Martyn Harvey's MGB V8 Conversions Facebook page.

I told him he was missed here.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 09, 2018 09:13AM

Thanks for that.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: January 17, 2019 05:14PM

From Perry:

I will catch up asap Carl. New laptop, windows updates and family problems have kept me away for a while Dude! Pel

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: January 17, 2019 05:15PM

WOW!!

My last post was in November 2016??

Sorry folks.
Please bear with the following.... It does get better !

Mum got ill and we spent most of 2017 caring for her. She lost her fight eventually and we buried her on 22nd December 2017.
Most of 2018 was a bit of a blur with trying to deal with losing Mum and sorting out her estate, and me working pretty much 7 days a week due to demand. My workload had taken its toll, and by Sept 2018 I told the boss I was taking December 2018 off work. This gave me something to look forward to I must say. Then in October 2018 Baby Bro announced that his weeks of suffering with weakness and general lack of energy that his Doctor told him was "just a virus, take these pills and rest up" turned out to be Leukemia. A.L.L type which is nasty. Baby Bro has been having treatment since then and at the moment the prognosis is GOOD!! He is fighting. The Chemo and blood transfusion's + platelet transfusions + all the other drugs he is taking seem to be doing the trick so far. All of the family took blood tests and it turns out my wife is Haplo positive as a match for Baby Bro's Bone Marrow transplant :) That will happen in the future when he is ready for the transplant.
I spent all of December doing DIY around the house and had 2 days on the car. I actually had my first few days of December lazing around the house and sleeping mostly. Then I woke up and fixed my heating and hot water systems in the house. Built a new Gazebo on the decking for next Summer. This was after I laid a 15ft x 15ft decking base for the gazebo. And tidied the rear garden. When I sat tidy. I mean 2 x 8 cubic yard skips full of crap :)

I have to admit that returning to work on 2nd January 2019 was hard. I had no enthusiasm for work, but I had to get back on the horse. While I was off I had two large enquiries come in which the Boss held up until I got back God Bless him.

I have spent the last 2 weeks working furiously on getting these projects specified and ready to quote. I don't really like doing projects over £100k. But these two are working out at the moment at around £450k each. So I have to keep my game head on and get these jobs sold in the next month or so. I'm sort of happy, because if I get these jobs sold I can kick back on these jobs for 5 months and not have to manage any other works until they are complete.:)

SO!
That's all the Doom and Gloom stuff over chaps.

Now its Car Time!

I promise to keep this part brief...…..

The new Dart based SBC 383 engine and the old tranny is in the car.
I had 2 days of woe with oil pressure and oil pan issues.... All sorted now.
The new engine cranks over with 45psi of oil pressure with the plugs out.
New MSD Digital 7 now fitted and working. After 12 hours of getting it fitted and working out Comms problems between MSD and Laptop.
No Zoomies made yet. Fuel system parts are now in the shop ready to fit.
So last week I fitted some hoses to the carbs and filled them with a measuring jug and a tiny funnel.
God Damn!! She fired up in no time flat.YIPPEE!!
It was only two short bursts as the cooling system isnt finished yet and she was dry.
But it ran, and it sounded nice!

This weekend I will be finishing the new fuel system. Next week I will finish the cooling system. Then I can take it on the trailer do a lonely road in the country nearby to fire it up properly so I can bed the rings in, check for leaks, check oil pressure, check fuel pressure, keep an eye on the cooling system and warm it up properly. This will be me + at least three race buddies.

That's enough for now. I will post some pics and vids asap.

Thanks for thinking of me guys!

Regards
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 17, 2019 05:22PM

Sorry about the low res vid folks!

It made me laugh when the guys in the VW shop next door cheered when they heard the engine start :)

Fast forward the vid to 4 mins. The rest is just waffle about the MSD and swearing to be honest.

[www.youtube.com]

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: January 17, 2019 07:05PM

That is a badass sounding 383

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: January 17, 2019 07:38PM

Wow. Hope you can hold it on the strip!

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 18, 2019 11:37PM

Perry, Glad you're back! How did the Speedway motor mounts work out for you?

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: January 20, 2019 07:48AM

Wow, really enjoyed that video! Very, very cool project!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 21, 2019 04:25PM

Hi Jim!
The motor mount was perfect. I just had to shave some off the bottom to clear the steering rack. Then I added my two old steady bars from front of the engine to the inner wing and rear of the engine to the bulkhead.

The rear steady bar didn't even need adjusting. It bolted straight onto the Brodix head. The front steady bar just needed a hole enlarged in the old MGB mounting flange to bolt right on as well :)

I have spent so much time and money on this 383 build that I hope it will at least make 500+hp on pump gas. When I have tried that I intend to use race fuel and more timing to see what it can do.

I am still trying to convince my friend Martin to let me onto his 1000hp Dyno with Zoomies??

Regards to all

Pel

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 06, 2019 03:44PM

Quick update!!

Cooling system now finished and filled. Water pump power supply fitted and working. I have to say that I was surprised at just how quiet the big Moroso electric pump is?

Next job is to fit the puller fan to the radiator and wire in the existing fan cables via the existing electronic temp sensor in the top hose.

I found that the tunnel ram manifold does not have a thermostat by pass. The new thermostat did not have a jiggle pin either. So I drilled three 5mm holes in the stat flange. This was fine to get the system filled and water flowing. I may just remove the stat and fit a restrictor disc though?

By manufacturing a custom bottom hose, I found that this will foul the alternator belt. So I took the alternator off and put it on the shelf. I will now run on batteries only. I will buy a pair of Excide 450/ 900dc batteries and buy the charger to go with them.

This actually means that I can replace the dished crank pulley (that I borrowed from my friends 350 SBC Volvo engine without him knowing) so he wont have a shock when he lifts the hood in the near future :)

He is too busy with his Ford Pop Mopar project to even look under the hood of the Volvo 760 avec the SBC motor. ;)

I have to work next weekend and then a week of nights on a project for McQuarie bank in the UK. So maybe the weekend of 16th and 17th Feb will be more MGB stuff?

Regards to all

Pel

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 27, 2019 08:36PM

Hi Guys!
Cooling system leaked water from the inlet manifold gaskets. I removed the Mr Gasket cheap cardboard gaskets and fitted Felpro.
They leaked as well.
Then I figured that the front and rear rubber valley seals were too thick.? So I fitted new Felpro gaskets today and used RTV sealant for the valley seals, and then gently pulled the tunnel ram down on the bolts. I will go back to the workshop hopefully on Sunday after work to do the final torque down and then see what happens?

I seem to remember the manifold bolts needing 16ft / lbs? Is that right! I will look in my books to confirm if any of you cant tell me?

Regards to all

Perry

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2459 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 28, 2019 10:56AM

Perry, I've always torqued the intake to 15ftlbs first, then 25ftlbs with aluminum heads. As per Jeg's and Summit instructions.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 28, 2019 03:14PM

Thanks Jim!

I hope to get back to the workshop sometime after work on Sunday evening :)

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 06, 2019 03:46PM

Bugger!

The new setup sealed very well. I was so paranoid that I even ran the water pump while putting a borescope into the dissy hole and viewing the front and rear water ports from inside the valley. Everything bone dry :)

Then when I stopped looking at the camera I saw a pool of water forming around the middle ports of the manifold on the outside. This was just on one side. Water was seeping out of an ally plug in the (what I call) steam hole on one of the heads.

So I pulled it all off again and found that I had not used any Loctite on this plug as it was lose in the hole!

Both of these plugs have now been removed and re fitted with sealant. New gaskets are in my truck and I'm gonna fix it for good this weekend :)

Then I can start on the fuel plumbing !!

Regards
Perry

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 08, 2019 09:15AM

I'm sure you set the intake in on the heads & made sure that everything was square, flat, etc. I had a set of heads shaved once & the they should have been angle cut to maintain the same angle with the intake.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 16, 2019 07:06PM

Today was a great day for me guys!!

Everything came together for 5 test runs in the workshop.

I still have a long way to go before the car will roll under its own power. BUT! todays test result was like a shot of adrenaline for me I must say.

Regards to all

Perry

[www.youtube.com]
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.