Current Page: 5 of 6

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Perry's Drag Race MGB is getting a SBC engine now !
Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 16, 2019 08:15PM

Perry, Very Cool!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: March 17, 2019 06:12PM

Thanks Jim!
I am very pleased to say the least :)

I cant wait to run it for longer when I have made the Zoomies.

This engine is solid mounted to the chassis with additional braces front and rear of the right hand cylinder head (as viewed from the front) as I used these on my old Rover V8. The amusing thing for me was that the rear brace bar bolted straight into the Brodix head. The front brace only needed one hole enlarged on the Clive Wheatley Bracket so that bolted on as well?

During the test runs this weekend. I could have placed a glass of water on the top of the slam panel for the bonnet and it would not have lost a drop of water. The rotating assembly balancing works have paid off big time I think.

Regards to all

Perry

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 30, 2019 11:11AM

Not sure how that new electric water pup will like a restrictor. Seems it would be easier to hit your target temp with a thermostat & allow all the flow needed for cooling when needed.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 19, 2019 05:21PM

Another quick update!
Apart from still missing one door. The car is now ready to move under its own power. The fuel system is 90% complete with an open AN10 line under the hood. But I can still fill the carbs manually. my photobucket account is on hold right now as I cant seem to upgrade it? And my pics are too large to load on here.
I spent the last 2 weeks of spare time making the Zoomies which look ok. I got the fuel system well progressed. I had to have the prop shaft modified and got it fitted, I got the lexan rear screen fitted. I fitted a remote external battery kill switch. I fitted lexan to the drivers door. I got a remote fuel pressure gauge fitted to the scuttle in front of the windscreen. I will fit another gauge here for oil pressure soon, I got the breathers cut into the Brodix valve covers + lots of other small jobs done.
I only have 2 more evenings to work on the car as I'm off to SF on Friday to see family for a couple of days, and then me and the Wife are of to Vegas for 5 days before hitting SF again for 2 days before we fly home. Hopefully this resized attachment will work?

MGB engine resized.jpg

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2019 06:46AM

Perry, Thanks for the update!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2019 03:43PM

Hi Carl
I used a restrictor in the old Rover setup as well. It takes a little longer to warm up. But when warm (60C) before the burnout, the fans cut in as required. 60C into the burnout pad. A quick burnout = 70C. By the time I have staged it sits around 75C. by the time I finish the 1/4 mile the old Rover used to see 90C. Then back to 80C after the coast to the exit at the end of the track. Then 85C - 90C by the time I had cruised back to my pit area depending on ambient air temp on the day. If its a warm day I start at 50C.

If it was a road car I would use a stat.

Regards
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 10, 2019 06:27PM

Wow!!
May has turned into August already Guys ??

So much has happened since my last post.

Long story short!
I got the car running and went for a few test days at the track. Six days in total until last weekend.

I had problems galore with setting up the MSD Digital 7.

I got the car in some sort of tune that seemed to work.

I only managed a 10.2 on track with a lame tune.

Then I started experimenting with trans brake launches.

Then I made a mistake with the tune and broke an engine mount.

The Mopar Weekend at Santapod Raceway gave me valuable info for sure.

The MGB is no off track until 2020 so I can upgrade a few / lots of things before I attempt a full power launch on this new engine.

The recent test days have given me a big smile I must say. Despite me having to take the MGB off line for several months, I'm still happy because I know she will roll out next year and be very quick.

I will attach 2 slo mo vids of the reasonable launch, and the launch where I got it all wrong. There is also a TV clip from Santapod where you can see a real time vid of the engine mount breaking launch at 4 hours 33mins.

I'm very happy to have enough info now so I can get the MGB ready for next season at the track.

Regards to all!
See the vids and please give me your thoughts.

Pel

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Fast forward to 4 hours 33 mins to see my last run in real time

[www.youtube.com]

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 12, 2019 08:37PM

Perry, You forgot your wheely bars in the first video! You may be able to adjust you slapper bars to eliminate some of the twist. Some of the more powerful V8 street cars on this site put a rectangular tube between the front of the leaf spring and the crossmember. Look at Dan Master's build for an example. What part of the motor mount broke? The Speedway mount or the through bolt? Looks like a lot of fun!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: August 13, 2019 06:43PM

Yeehaw! Bottoms up!!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 24, 2019 12:49PM

Hi Jim
It was actually the lugs on the block that sheared away on the even number side. So for my UK car the drivers side.
These lugs are proud of the block and seem to have cracked away where they meet the block. This allows the engine to drop one side by about 3/8" which caused no 8 plug boot to foul the steering shaft and broke the plug insulator. So only 7 cylinders after the first landing :)

I will get back on the car late sept or early October to start repairs. I've been away to Majorca with Grand Daughter Faith and now the Wife and I are in Crete for Grandad and Nannies week away on their own !

Work has built up since we left the UK on the 8th August. So I think I have the first weekend of Sept off and then it will be 7 days a week for the next 4 weeks to start with. I will try to gather some bodies for the first weekend of Sept so I can at least get the engine and drive train out of the car and on the stand for inspection.

Carl !
I didn't lose my nerve despite not having been in the seat for nearly 5 years. I did try to pedal it to slow the initial drop. But the engine didn't want to catch up in time? When I re view the vids I cringe when I see the front suspension taking that pounding.

Regards to all
Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 28, 2019 05:16PM

WOW!
So long since I posted?
I have now finished the passenger side mount. I have raised the gearbox tail by 20mm. Drivers side mount now 90% complete.

I am trying to get to the workshop for an hour or two during the week after work as U hive no weekend time free. BUT! This weekend I WILL finish the engine mounts because I'm 61 on Saturday. And my family rule is that on your birthday you can do whatever you want.

The family asked me what I wanted to do on my Birthday weekend so I told them..... I want to work on the car Saturday and then have a Chinese meal at home with you lot in the evening and play games around the table.

Then on Sunday I want to take you all out for a meal before we all hit the Cinema to watch Frozen 2. This is mainly because I want to take my Grand Daughter to see the Movie. But also, as I have told the kids, to be in the cinema with all my kids like back in the old days when they were young.

I told them all to NOT buy me any presents, but spend the money on their Cinema tickets instead. I'm happy with a card as I really don't need anything unless they all want to club in to buy me an LS engine or an 8/71 blower kit. :)

Its taken some time but I'm happy if I can have the car ready before Xmas so I can drive it out off the 4 post lift and into the other side of the hobby shop onto the 2 post lift. As I need the other lift to give my 2008 Grand Voyager a once over. It my new MPV and I love it so far despite a few little issues to deal with. I have my second Grand Child due on Feb 26 2020. So Grandads Taxi needs to be ready to rock for the annual family trip to France in April for Disney and Carp fishing ;)

I will get some pics and vids uploaded of progress asap.

Regards to all

Pel

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 29, 2019 07:47AM

Sounds like a great plan. Have a Happy Birthday Perry!

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 04, 2019 05:45AM

Perry, Happy Birthday! How did you fix your motor mount ? Have you thought about a 4 link rear suspension instead of leafs? Don't forget your Wheelie bars!

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 06, 2019 05:34PM

Hi Jim!

For the time being a 4 link rear is out of the question. I'm on one of my old guy things again. I did say way back in the day that the old slugger would run 10's with a Rover V8. I did this and then pushed on to 9's on track. And I'm sure if I had fitted the wheelie bars back in 2014 the Rover MAY have run an 8 or very close to it ?

SBC fitted now for the 8 second attempt. BUT ! The cart springs MUST stay on the car for the 8 second attempt as well now. The cart springs are original MGB V8 items and they have taken a pounding over the years. I intend to fit new stock springs from the MG Owners Club parts dept to see if they will hold up for the 8 second attempts in 2020. They are not expensive and they seem quite sturdy.

I did talk to the tech guru at MGOC about this and he gave me all sorts of tech info about the spring rates etc. He also asked why I had not been providing articles for the club magazine for a good while about the cars progress?

I told him that I did say that when the MGB lost its Rover V8 and took the SBC on board I would consider it a kit car.

His reply was very nice. He said that my MGB V8 with its USA derived Rover V8 was a great car. He also said that the MGB V8 has now been fitted with another USA derived V8 engine. So just get on with providing updates on the cars progress again please. WOW!! I was happy to hear that I must say.

I re joined the MGOC earlier this year to keep up with friends. I have posted about me wanting to attempt my 8 second pass in June next year at Santapod raceway and re forming my old MG Drag Racing Club. I have had a good response from MG folk wanting to get back to the track for racing + Show and Shine in my club stand next June. A lot of them have asked me to ask MGOC to see if they would like to make this a club event. I will ask the club to see what they say.

I would love it if I could get the MG name back on site at the Drag Strip as an annual event like I used to back in the day.

Perry

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 20, 2020 07:26PM

Quick update folks!

Suspension repairs now done re broken front ARB drop links. Slapper bar mods now done. Wheelie bars now fitted and ready for testing in 4 weeks time.:)

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/mgbv8_photo/Wheelie%20bars%20welded%20in_zps6iweanf3.jpg

https://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/mgbv8_photo/wheelie%20bar%20from%20side_zpsoizimir1.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 07:38PM by perrymgbv8.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: January 23, 2020 09:01AM

"Suspension repairs now done re broken front ARB drop links"

After I saw Steve Carrick's break at the ball joint end, I carefully tack welded mine.

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 16, 2020 03:57PM

Only 1 week now until testing begins :)

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: February 17, 2020 08:44AM

Quote:
Only 1 week now until testing begins :)
.......not if the current UK weather pattern holds. :-(

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 13, 2020 04:35PM

Hi guys

A quick update!!

Wheelie bars need re working to get more adjustment and I fried the tranny on this day out just before lock down.

Real time vids then Slo Mo vids. The Slo Mo stuff explains all I think.

Regards
Perry

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 18, 2020 10:03AM

More front lift to plant the tires better?

Great to hear from ya, Perry.
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.