(17 posts)

10/21/2008 09:31PM

Main British Car:
Still a Dream

authors avatar
76 Midget Need Motor
Posted by: Dads Toy
Date: October 28, 2008 08:06AM

I going to purchase a 76 midget for $100. The only problem its missing the motor. It has the trans in it and the car is in good shape. I can't seem to find a used MG motor. And a new or newly rebuilt one cost over $2500. Does anyone have a resource where you can find a used MG motor here in the South Carolina area? I am about to figure it a waist of time and just opt. to do a V8 swap. I like the idea of using a Toyota turbo motor.Cost is a major factor do to three kids and a wife that won't let me have a budget for the project. Any thoughts?

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: 76 Midget Need Motor
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: October 28, 2008 08:26AM

Scott, keep looking for a stock motor, you'll never do a swap as cheaply as you can rebuild the stocker. The engine used is the same for all the later Midgets and Spitfires so shouldn't be too hard to find. I suggest you get on the British Car Forum or MG Experience boards and put out a request for an engine there also. You shouldn't have too much difficulty coming up with another 1500. [www.britishcarforum.com] [www.mgexperience.net]
You can easily do a Midget on a budget if you keep it stock, and even do a swap on a budget if you want, but it will take longer and cost more. I worked on a pretty tight budget for my Midget conversion, trading off everything I didn't need from the original car and selling parts cars after I'd removed what I needed, still wound up with close to 5 grand in the car and 3 1/2 years, so be warned. I personally don't think a V8 is a good swap for a Midget. I've had one years ago with a Chevy 283. It was sort of neat, but it was way too heavy on the front, the handling sucked, it would barely stop. The heater had to be removed, so there was no defrost for the windshield. A fun car is some ways, but not comfortable or practical. That's why I chose a V6 when I ventured into that area again, much more balanced, still plenty of power, and much more practical and comfortable.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 28, 2008 09:30AM

Quote:
Scott, keep looking for a stock motor, you'll never do a swap as cheaply as you can rebuild the stocker.

I'll second that.

If you don't have the budget for a swap, it will languish. Find a stock engine & enjoy driving it. Or, better yet, convert it to a 1275 setup.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 28, 2008 10:13AM

Why not put a WTB ("want to buy") classified ad right here in the BritishV8 classified ad section?
[forum.britishv8.org]

For the time being, our classified ads are free!
(We ask sellers to make a voluntary contribution to support BritishV8 when they complete a sale.)

Almost anyone putting a bigger engine in a Midget will have a used engine to get rid of.

Dads Toy
Scott Meyer
South Carolina
(17 posts)

10/21/2008 09:31PM

Main British Car:
Still a Dream

authors avatar
Posted by: Dads Toy
Date: October 28, 2008 02:58PM

I would love to enjoy the riding of this car. My wife is actually pretty excited about riding in the car. Just me and her driving up the mountains to a cabin on the weekend is the seller for me. No kids (only two seats)! But I am a hot rodder at heart and would love a thrash car to take out and peel the rubber off the back wheels. So much to learn so little time. I can do all the work myself. I have a degree in A&P (Aviation) and had work at a Marthon Full Service gas station back in the good old days. So there is nothing I can't do. I will look into placing a WTB ad soon and make donation to the cause.

Moderator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not put a WTB ("want to buy") classified ad
> right here in the BritishV8 classified ad section?
>
> [forum.britishv8.org]
>
> For the time being, our classified ads are free!
> (We ask sellers to make a voluntary contribution
> to support BritishV8 when they complete a sale.)
>
> Almost anyone putting a bigger engine in a Midget
> will have a used engine to get rid of.

bplus
Tracy Moore
Jacksonville, Fl
(40 posts)

11/24/2008 06:36PM

Main British Car:
71' MGB GT 350 Chevrolet

Posted by: bplus
Date: November 24, 2008 07:03PM

Scott,
My brother and I recently purchased a late model midget. It has the 1500 engine. We're not going to use
this engine as we're doing a conversion. We live in Jacksonville,Fl so making arrangements to bring the
motor up your way, or meet 1/2 way wouldn't be a problem. If you're interested please contact my brother
at 904-628-0030. His name is Curtis. I've already contacted him on you're behalf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.