Portland, OR
(129 posts)

08/01/2015 12:55PM

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

My GM conversion sounds like I just ran over a cat when i accelerate
Posted by: limey222
Date: October 21, 2015 10:03AM

OK, so the post's title is a bit tongue-in-cheek.
I have an aftermarket cold air intake terminating in a K&N conical air filter. When I accelerate it lets out a loud whistle/squeal at around 1200rpm which quickly vanishes about 1600rpm. I know from many online searches that this is a common problem but it is very irritating. I don't have room to fit the standard Camaro air box or anything like it. BTW, its definitely not a belt slipping. Also there is no room to fit a direct mount filter on the throttle body, I have to 90 degree it.

I'm hoping that some enterprising member has been successful at mitigating the noise? It ruins the shear pleasure of the enhanced acceleration.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Nexxussian
Erik Johnson
Alaska
(62 posts)

04/20/2015 10:32PM

Main British Car:
1974, MGB, Citroen Color Rover V8

Re: My GM conversion sounds like I just ran over a cat when i accelerate
Posted by: Nexxussian
Date: October 21, 2015 06:53PM

Was there a resonator box on the Camaro intake tube?

As that sounds like intake resonance, from your description, a resonator should reduce it.

I suspect you don't have room for the stock resonator, but you should be able to fabricate one of similar volume that could fit.

There was a member here or mgexp that resolved an exhaust resonance issue with resonators fabricated from exhaust pipe, only issue for your intake is they were fairly long as I recall; should be shorter for your shorter intake pipe and cooler temperatures though.

Best of luck. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.