10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: MGA V8
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 16, 2015 07:33PM

Me, the passenger?!

http://images.all-free-download.com/images/graphiclarge/laughing_and_pointing_emoticon_312207.jpg

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: December 16, 2015 09:48PM

Gary W, as I recall Pete Brock was up against severe time constraints when he designed the original Cobra coupe and simply did the best he could to get the car race worthy..still a beautiful car...but agree the coupe revision with Superformance was a much, much better car and arguably much better looking too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 09:51PM by RMO 699F.

jblanchard@hcpg.net
Jeb Blanchard
Collierville, TN
(53 posts)

12/07/2007 01:01PM

Main British Car:
1961 MGA Chevy 4.3 Vortec V-6

authors avatar
Posted by: jblanchard@hcpg.net
Date: December 17, 2015 11:39AM

The original Cobra and Cobra kit cars are favorites of mine. I like the styling and blistering performance.

People (who know no better) approach me and ask if I was trying to get the “Cobra” look with my custom MGA. My response is that I tried everything I knew how to do and not to look like a Cobra. I tell them I cannot afford an original Cobra and if I’d wanted a kit Cobra I could have bought two given the sucking sound from my wallet once I’d completed my MGA.

I find something to admire in every modified car. Modifieds are almost always a labor of love for the owner and a reflection of their tastes. I may not particularly care for some of the components but I never criticize. Who are we to judge?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: December 17, 2015 01:56PM

Right there with ya Jeb.
If we all built the same car, what would that be like?
It may not be to your personal taste.
But you have to respect the effort.

Cheers
Fred

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: December 17, 2015 02:55PM

'Gary W, as I recall Pete Brock was up against severe time constraints when he designed the original Cobra coupe and simply did the best he could to get the car race worthy..still a beautiful car...but agree the coupe revision with Superformance was a much, much better car and arguably much better looking too..'

Yes I probably did not make that clear. Problem with racing is before the car is completed...it's outdated technology.

Shelby let Brock get a car together but everyone else in the shop avoided it. They thought Brock didn't know what he was doing. When the car shaved several seconds of the Cobra time on a track first time out everyone got behind it.

When Supeerformance aproached Brock, Brock originally said no I don't do kit cars. When they showed him the money & R&D they were going to put into it they got his attention. When they discussed it they told Brock, the car does not go into production until you say you are done with it. Brock agreed.

Superformance allowed Brock to finish building the car the way he wanted. The car was never meant to be a "replica". The first time out in street trim and airconditioning the car did 200mph.

Ironically, some time back Shelby was making some speed runs at Boniville. The car they were working on was having issues but it was their track time. If they could not race anything they could not keep the track slot.

They sent one of Shelby's drivers out in a Daytona coupe to tie up the track till the other car was ready was ready to run. He broke record after record in his class I think for 2 days in the Coupe. When he was done Shelby offered to sell it to the race car driver for a few hundred bucks. The car was wore out. The race car driver said "Hell no, I never want to sit in that car again!" The car went at an auction a couple years ago for a couple million!
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.