dano3080
Dan O'Brien

(1 posts)

11/10/2008 02:23PM

Main British Car:

New MGB GT?
Posted by: dano3080
Date: November 10, 2008 02:43PM

Every morning on my way to grammar school I'd take a peek under the sheets in my Dad's garage to have a look at his MGB-GT. Unfortunately, I never learned basics of repair, but would love to own a MG of my own.

I am looking for someone to build a MGB GT ground up using new parts. I want a dependable daily driver and, I know this is sacrilege, but I don't care all that much about the guts. Dependability out weights almost all else. Slap a GT body on a Corolla and I'd be a happy man.

Any ideas on builders? Or what a project like this might cost?

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Re: New MGB GT?
Posted by: Citron
Date: November 10, 2008 03:16PM

Dan,
there are a number of builders on this sight. I'm sure some of them will chime in soon.
I have a BGT with a V6 Chevy and Auto trans that I really enjoy.
I have driven it 52000 in 3.5 years.
Good luck.

Steve

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 10, 2008 03:58PM

Welcome to the message board!

There are a handful of professional builders... and a pretty good list of them can be found by going to the top of this page, selecting the right-most pulldown menu, and then selecting "Vendor Directory". Notice that most of their banner ads can be clicked-on for additional information. Tell them you found them here.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: November 10, 2008 04:14PM

Dan,

Might help to know where your located. You want those number in dollars? US dollars? Canadian dollars? Australian dollars? Pesos? British Pound Sterling? Euros?

An idea of what your planning on building is needed. I could quote you a price of $18K for everything new. You wouldn't like the end results probably. Prices on some MG builds have gone beyond $100K.

Shops? Worlwide. Lots of good builders.

Welcome to the message board, we are here to help but the more information (guidelines) you give us, the closer we can get you to what your asking.

-BMC.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: November 10, 2008 04:51PM

Dan, you've come to the right place for sure. Plenty of nice cars to look at in the photo files of the newsletter and a lot of good, reputable builders as sponsors of the British V8 Newsletter. If you are patient then you can save a lot of money just by finding the right car for a starter. It's usually cheaper in the long run to find a car that's already modified than to build one yourself, but if you want to know that it's "all new" and have that infered reliability then finding the right donor is very important. They are out there at reasonable prices, we just picked up a nice GT for project Roadmaster for under $1500 and we will recoup a lot of that cost from selling off the original engine and transmission. Some of the shops like Brian's can install a GM V6 and 5 speed transmission, add airconditioning, and you'll have basically a modern EFI car in an vintage body. With the suspension options available such as the Fast Cars front crossmember and the new rear suspension kit from CCE you can have a sweet riding, great handling car. Go with that sort of options and expect it will cost about the same as any new high performance car, between 30 and 50K if finished well. That's just my estimate. It could run a lot more or less depending on the level of finish and the options you want.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: November 10, 2008 08:52PM

Where are you located, Dan?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.