pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Re: A/C
Posted by: pcmenten
Date: August 09, 2016 12:15PM

Does it need to be in the dash? Can you run the lines behind the seats and mount it in back?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 09, 2016 01:37PM

Wouldn't have to be but it might be a little hard to get the cold air where you want it that way, and gives up trunk space.

I'm pretty sure the dash can be moved rearward enough to allow the use of the existing gages which would be good, although they might have to be moved around a bit, and the stereo equalizer needs to be a shallow design. The glove box will also need to be redone and quite shallow. but possibly wider. There is time for the design to evolve.

Jim

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: August 09, 2016 02:58PM

Quote:
all I want is a cool breeze in my face and maybe in the foot wells.

Mine has a floor vent that blows directly on my feet. Priceless.

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Posted by: waterbucket
Date: August 11, 2016 01:53PM

This may be of interest to those who need a compact air con and heater unit, I found it while browsing Ebay. I know nothing of the company although it is based only thirty miles from where I live, British made with Spal fan so it could be good. Two links below for info;

[www.ebay.co.uk]

[www.t7design.co.uk]

Philip

Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis

(15 posts)

09/06/2016 02:15AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Russ Bellinis
Date: October 15, 2016 08:44PM

You don't want too big an a/c system for your car. Bigger is not better! I am a retired transport refrigeration mechanic. I also worked on Carrier bus units. If your system is too big, the evaporator will get too cold and make ice. There is no defrost system on an a/c unit, so when it ices up, it stops air flow over the evap and makes more ice, which stops air flow even more and makes more ice. The only way to defrost the evap is to shut off the a/c unit until the ice melts and then turn it on again for however long it will cool before icing up again. The worst case scenario is that the evap ices up, the refrigerant can't evaporate in the evaporator, and ends up liquid slugging the compressor. Now you need a new compressor and a complete system clean out.

The Vanagon evaporator is designed to cool a van. If the interior of your car is smaller than a Vanagon, the evaporator will be massively oversized. If your car is a relatively small two seat sports car, look for a evaporator from a small standard cab pick up like Chevy S-10, Ford Ranger, or Toyota or Nissan, or even a Dodge Dakota with the standard cab.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 15, 2016 10:43PM

Thanks for the insight. However, the cabin of a convertible is infinitely large with the top down, so maybe bigger could be better after all. Long as there is enough airflow to keep the evaporator above freezing, Ice shouldn't be too much of a problem. Massive volumes of 40 degree air sounds just about right to me!

Jim
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.