(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
compressor update
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 05, 2008 05:55PM

I've been going without for a few weeks now... not really sure what to do... i'm sure the pump i have is rebuildable but the valve plate & gasket kit already set me back $330 - refundable with a 15% restocking fee. Both cylinders look like this... Those of you w/more experience looking at the inside of cylinders... do these look like they need to be honed & new rings put in? Rings are ~$25 each & there's 6 of them (3 per cylinder). Bearnings on the crank are in good shape.

If it needs honing/rings, it'd be less expensive to replace. I can get a brand new Eaton pump delivered for $429. It'd come with a 5-yr warranty.
[www.eatoncompressor.com]

What do you think?

2008-11-14 North Star Compressor (3).jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 05:57PM by rficalora.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: compressor update
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 05, 2008 09:19PM

Rob, why are you messing with with this thing? If you're willing to drop $330 on gaskets and valves, spend the other hundred and get the new pump.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 05, 2008 11:54PM

The Eaton pump is Made-in-USA and comes with a 5-year warranty, and yet you're considering rebuilding a cheap Made-in-China pump? I don't get it. Shouldn't this be an easy decision?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 06, 2008 12:28AM

I think you guys are right... I was in denial!!

Now, to be fair, I believe this pump -- even though made in china -- is actually reasonably well made -- no different than a lot of made in the USA pumps I've researched lately. The scoring is due to poor maintenance by the prior owner (I got it 2nd hand from a granite counter top shop) & I probably compounded the problem. I cleaned it once already -- there was a cresoste like stuff baked on the valves & valve plate. After I cleaned the valves & valve plate it worked great for about 6 months. Then one of the valves stuck. When i cleaned it the first time it didn't occur to me to clean the cross over pipe & I'm betting some of that junk broke loose & that's what caused the scoring (it wasn't that bad the last time I opened it up) & over time clogged a valve. I've been emotionally invested in "fixing my mistake" -- buying it in the 1st place & then not fixing it right. But I think the fix is to stop throwing good money after bad & replace the pump.... !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.