Portland, OR
(129 posts)

08/01/2015 12:55PM

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

All "previously untraceable" noises on my '69 MGB have finally gone
Posted by: limey222
Date: October 22, 2017 12:54PM

Just got the car back from a friends shop after a complete front end (steering and suspension) overall. Replaced the swivel axles with rebuilds, all new Prothane bushings, new uprated springs, new wishbone arms, rebuilt steering column etc. It already had new brakes, rebuilt Armstrong shocks all around, rack and pinion steering rack, tie rods, new rear springs and bushings, MGB 307 axle with Quaife LSD etc from previous work. While thee front was apart some clearances were opened up that were tight due to the conversion and the steering shafts finally correctly aligned with the Moss copy of the factory tool. I'm really pleased to report that the elusive noises I had been troubleshooting for a year are now gone, the car feels solid and precise now. Even removed the crossmember, painted it and replaced the pads with Prothane ones too. In fact while apart all of the components were cleaned and painted.
This winter's jobs include cleaning off some flaking undercoat in the front wheel arches and POR 15 them before any rust can set in.
I have to say that it has been a long and somewhat expensive journey but I am finally pleased with the results.

MGB567
Barrie Braxton

(38 posts)

04/26/2015 12:13AM

Main British Car:

Re: All "previously untraceable" noises on my '69 MGB have finally gone
Posted by: MGB567
Date: November 17, 2017 06:38AM

Did you end up needing the carrier shims?

limey222
Michael Cubbon
Portland, OR
(129 posts)

08/01/2015 12:55PM

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

Re: All "previously untraceable" noises on my '69 MGB have finally gone
Posted by: limey222
Date: December 13, 2017 11:53AM

The guy who installed my Quaife used some of the shims I purchased from Moss. At $20 a piece I returned the unused ones to them for a refund.
He did a good job, everything is running nicely and no strange diff noises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.