(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: Started to make it red
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: March 01, 2018 08:42PM

I got the clear on and color sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 then broke out the Harbor Freight DA buffer I got for $49 on sale and less 20% with a coupon [www.harborfreight.com] . I wasn't holding my breath for how it would perform but was I surprised. It has a lot of power and is variable speed. The first pass was with McGuire's ultra cut compound on a foam pad (also from HF) and within a minute the shine was there. Even using the most aggressive compound I wouldn't hesitate to take the car to a car show as it sits. Can't wait until I go over it with the medium cut and fine cut compounds. I did the compounding on the #5 speed setting (the fastest is 6) but will use slower speeds for the finer compounds. One caution - shut the buffer off before you lift the pad off the car, at the higher speeds the orbital action causes the pad to fly apart. I'll post some pictures when I get the whole car done and assembled.

DSC00550.JPG

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Re: Started to make it red
Posted by: lawnvett
Date: March 16, 2018 08:38PM

wow that is terrific

I'd love to go for another ride. Next time lets not tour the suburban neighborhoods, lets for find some twists and some deserted roads out in the desert.

PJ

PS I'll bring bail money
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.