Ralph Vrana

(1 posts)

02/25/2018 05:54PM

Main British Car:

V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Posted by: rvrana
Date: February 25, 2018 06:54PM

Guys

I have a 1979 MGB with a Rover P6 motor. My wife has asked me to install A/C on the car if we are going to make any long drives in the future, IE - MG 2018. I have the original 4 cyl A/C kit from the car but need to mount a pulley, compressor, and condenser on the V8 motor. I was talking to D&D about their compressor bracket and changing out my rover harmonic balancer to their Buick 215 model (even sent them the balancer). They sent the balancer back with a note "parts no longer available" and do not answer calls or email so I need to go another route. Does anybody have any suggestions on a compressor mount and compressor for my Rover motor. I think I can get a pulley made to fit the harmonic balancer once I have the compressor set up installed.

If anybody has suggestions/pictures on how to mount the condenser that would be great.

Please contact me off line so as not to clog up the forum
Ralph Vrana
Rvrana@vrana.us

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Posted by: Dan B
Date: February 25, 2018 07:12PM

Hi Ralph and welcome to BritishV8! There are a lot LOT of guys here who have AC on their V8 MGBs. You should go through the gallery and see how they have done it. Just go the the gallery and select MGB and look for the Buick or Rover engines. Like this: [www.britishv8.org]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 27, 2018 10:43AM

I made custom brackets for mine so can't help that much, but check with Rick (Mowog1), I'm pretty sure he sourced a bracket somewhere that uses a Sanden compressor and V-belt. Use the biggest condenser you can mount.

Jim

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Posted by: psmg
Date: March 01, 2018 08:21PM

Hi Ralph, it's great to know you're still involved with the MGV8 hobby. We haven't heard from you in a while. I'm the fellow that purchased a Webaso Roof from you back in Cleveland around 20 years ago. I was trying to decide weather to install air conditioning at that time and you mentioned you had a roof panel with the "fold back" roof and brought it the next day. I bought it and threw it in the back seat of my Bonneville and the rest is history. The car was completed and now is owned by Allan Moor in Tipp City, Ohio.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 01, 2018 09:23PM

I sourced my compressor bracket through D&D in Michigan.

AC Compressor Bracket_a.jpg

AC Compressor Bracket_b.jpg

AC Compressor Bracket Installed.jpg

AC Compressor Bracket w_compressor.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: March 04, 2018 10:50AM

here's how Pete Mantell did this Moss A/C in a 1974 BGT with a 3.4 V6fullsizeoutput_ced.jpeg

Gehirn
Misato Katsuragi

(1 posts)

03/23/2021 07:50AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Gehirn
Date: March 23, 2021 07:55AM

I have a similar project in mind and I wonder if I will be able to put an aluminum AC in my car. I had no issue with installing an aluminum copper coil air condition in my house after I took advice from a few best home appliances reviews that I read. Apparently they are much easier to change in case your face issues with them and since I do a lot of miles with my car I was thinking that it would be cheaper in the long run to keep fixing the air condition rather than changing it. All I need to know now is how the actual installation can be done by yourself and I'm good to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 07:27AM by Gehirn.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 23, 2021 09:45PM

What do you mean by aluminum AC?

MGB567
Barrie Braxton

(38 posts)

04/26/2015 12:13AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: MGB567
Date: April 04, 2021 01:09AM

"Does anybody have any suggestions on a compressor mount and compressor for my Rover motor. I think I can get a pulley made to fit the harmonic balancer once I have the compressor set up installed. "

I have a GM/R4 compressor. I also have the brackets from a 3500 (I think) but couldn't get them to fit or line up with my water pump and balancer pulleys so I fabricated my own bracket to mount on the RHS bank (as you look at it) - the four pulleys line up and I need no idler and one (serpentine) belt, I have detailed all this on MGE Swaps. (I have a large electric puller fan as even with moving the radiator forward there was insufficient room for the viscous coupling.)

If anybody has suggestions/pictures on how to mount the condenser that would be great.

My condenser sits in the tray where the oil cooler used to be - I'm not using a cooler on my 5l. Again that's all detailed over on MGE but mostly on the main forum as I have a bespoke radiator that I detailed there along with pics.

My a/c is from Vintage Air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 09:46PM by MGB567.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.