blockmom
Chuck Anderson

(6 posts)

10/02/2017 08:27PM

Main British Car:

Excessive oil burn as of May 2
Posted by: blockmom
Date: May 02, 2018 10:47PM

I had a Buick 215 engine rebuilt and installed this past winter. I picked the car up from the shop Friday April 20th. We went through the dyno reports – 142 bhp & 185 ft. lbs. of torch at the wheels. I couldn’t be happier. He said it needs a little break in time – ‘it makes a little smoke’- and off I went.
In 10 days a little smoke has become 500ml of oil every 250km and plumes of smoke from the exhaust. The shop cannot find the issue – after compression and leak down testing, they replaced valve seals. It is actually worse now. The top end ‘clacking’ from the left bank and the exhaust actually produces more – thicker oily smoke.
Other than valve seals and oil rings – does anyone have a suggestion why the Buick 215 would have excessive oil burn?
Ancaster 2018.jpg

Mickey Richaud
Mickey Richaud
Townsend TN
(198 posts)

08/25/2015 06:36AM

Main British Car:
'03 Jaguar XK8 Jaguar 4.2

Re: Excessive oil burn as of May 2
Posted by: Mickey Richaud
Date: May 03, 2018 05:47AM

Bummer indeed. Valve guides? Crankcase ventilation?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 03, 2018 10:37AM

Possibly the rings were put in upside down. Rare but I have seen this happen. Where are you located, and how experienced is your engine builder with these engines? As far as the lifter tap is concerned, first what is your oil pressure at idle and cruising? What oiling mods were done when the engine was built, and what are the bearing clearances? And then what was done to set pushrod preload? If you can get those answers we might be able to assist.

Jim

I cannot overstress how important it is to either use a knowledgeable and experienced builder who knows these engines intimately, or learn the critical information yourself. Building one like any other typical American V8 is likely to bring disappointment.

harv8
Martyn Harvey
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(189 posts)

10/23/2007 10:09PM

Main British Car:
MGB Rover V8, TVR Chevy V8, MGB GT Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: harv8
Date: May 05, 2018 09:40AM

April 21st 2018 Drive to Tim's8.jpg
April 21st 2018 At Tim's crop.jpg
Thanks Jim and Mickey, any help will be much appreciated with this.My good friend Chuck has been putting this car together all winter. It is a lovely 78 B that was just begging for a nice little 215.The result has been more than disappointing!!! I am feeling really badly for Chuck, it seemed like everything was going well......most parts purchased through D&D, the engine builder has been in business for many years putting together American Muscle cars......now the happy little dream project has turned into a horrific nightmare. Has this ever happened to you? Thanks for your thoughts and input!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 05, 2018 10:32AM

It can happen. First step, check your EGR plumbing as that is an easy check and a simple fix. Just take a drive with the oil filler cap removed and see if it makes any difference. If not, (drive far enough that you can really be certain, not just around the block) you can check that off your list of possible causes.

We can't really jump to the assumption that everything was done right until some testing is done. It would help us if you would tell what your oil pressure is, just to get a handle on how well the engine was built, as that is a pretty good indicator of attention to the small details that make a good build.

So your next test is going to be compression and leak-down testing. We need to know your static compression ratio and the compression test numbers for each cylinder. You can pick up a leak-down tester cheap at Harbor Freight. Follow the directions and post your readings. From there we can get a pretty good idea of the state of your rings.

Now one other thing... rings do wear in. Even if say for example the compression rings were installed upside down there is at least some possibility that they might eventually stop smoking. OTOH, my first Buick 215 came out of a pristine Special with 20K on the clock and oily tailpipes, so YMMV. I figured it was built by a hangover on a Monday, got upside down rings, and the owner got tired of the oil smoke.

But let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Talk to your builder and see how certain you feel that he didn't screw up (he will say he didn't of course). Even the most experienced builder can make a mistake but the uninformed will do so far more often. Do the test drive. Do the other tests. By then maybe another possibility may have emerged.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.