turbogidget
joshua spousta

(3 posts)

12/31/2008 03:59AM

Main British Car:

turbo 1500 midget post lives again
Posted by: turbogidget
Date: December 31, 2008 04:31AM

sorry bout that just read the forum rules and it said you welcome more then just v8 performance felt it would be wasteing most peoples times so here, its back the origanol post

I’ve been working on a midget turbo project for about 4 months now. And I should have started posting some of my first attempts. To start off, I got bored and decided to go to my conc. and tried to fix some of the mg flaws. Then the idea grew bigger than me (I’m 6'5"). So here are some pictures at where I’m at. Please don’t criticize my conc. work I know there are flaws - it’s a midget - so I didn’t go for perfection. Main reason I am posting is to get some feedback, as I don’t know of any midget owners around to share my excitement with. So enjoy and let know what you think. Btw setup is with a sr20det turbo (t25) with a carbon seal, and I’m doing a drawn threw design (sort of like a corvair). And another note I have a lot of man hours in this and I should of kept track. But I’ve only spent 300 dollars so far in parts (inc. turbo) so I think I’m pretty well off.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/38/l_4d4346faf3114447b4d539b7552f194e.jpg
As you can see I machined a flange to bolt the intake manifold to, this flange is also my turbo manifold. This eliminates the wing nuts so now the manifold will be bolted on directly straight to the 1500 head

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/19/l_330066e64d70493a86b7d409e3c209e0.jpg

I did a log manifold design as you can see and you can also see a little more welding to do. I need to weld a circle flange on manifold so I can run a small silicone hose connecting the turbo to manifold. As you can see I will not be running an intercooler so the boost must stay below 7 pounds so I don’t melt the pistons. If you look hard you can see that I’m going to run water threw the manifold to keep the intake air temp down.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/4/l_8d0e655611834009833b63c937e78c06.jpg
I’m going to use a diverter valve, only for the flame effect, what I mean buy this is the dump on the diverter will go straight to the exhaust so when I shift I hope to have some extra fuel and air to cause some ignition in the mufflers to light a flame off my midgets side exhaust. <------------- this is just the kid in me who wants to blow stuff up. - Also going to do it for intimidation. Pretty sure most cars won’t want to mess with a car that sounds turbo'd and shoots flames on shifts. I might have to put a spark plug in the muffler to actually make it work but it’s the last thing I’m worried about, needs to run first

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/54/l_e4e22762ae9748c3aa13250e3ff2b47a.jpg

if you look I put an air pressure switch in the intake manifold. I will connect this to my coil so if the wastegate does not open at 6 pounds to release pressure it will cut spark so I have no detonation issues. also its a better look on how I added the two manifolds to make one : )
I know it sounds like a lot of work but it was fun on how far I got. I’ll keep you updated on how the rest is going and any encouraging words are nice to help me get the motivation to finish the project. Thanks for the time!

Ps. yes I test fitted it and the hood still clears the top mounted turbo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 06:28PM by turbogidget.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: turbo 1500 midget
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 31, 2008 11:26AM

Looks like some pretty nice engineering going on. Hard to see all the detail with everything painted black though. I really like your idea to make a flange that would mount both the intake and exhaust, does away with all the sealing problems from uneven washers etc. Are you planning on using carburation or going to a fuel injection system? I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there with 1500 Midgets who will want to see it when it's done. The few Midget owners who hang around this board usually have totally different engines installed, but still love to see some good engineering at work. I'm sure that the guys on the MG Experience Midget board would like to see your ideas as well. [www.mgexperience.net] And the guys on the Spridget board of the British Car Forum as well. www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: post moved
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 31, 2008 03:41PM

Post moved?

What a pity!

I think the post (about a custom turbo installation) belonged MUCH better on this board than the other ones mentioned... and I as was looking forward to seeing the conversation evolve.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 31, 2008 04:25PM

Curtis, I didn't mean to run him off with my post, really trying to welcome him and let him know that there were others that would love to see his project as well. He posted the same on the MG Experience board, maybe you should let him know he's welcome here as well. There are a ton of 1500 Midget owners who would love a nice performance upgrade, this looks to be the beginnings of a really well engineered solution, hope he keeps going and posting.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 31, 2008 04:45PM

No worries Bill. I'll send Joshua a "private message" to welcome him here and also to let him know that there's nothing wrong with posting more than one place. (I don't understand why he felt he needed to "move" his post.)

I was just noticing the other day that I'm about to add a tenth Spridget to the BritishV8 photo gallery... and, by my quick reckoning, they feature twelve totally different engines from nine different engine manufacturers! (How is that possible? The article on Philip Herrick's Sprites shows three different engine models/makes that he's used over the years.)

I think though that we have a LOT more Spridget owners starting to visit here (just not posting yet) - and I hope they all feel welcome even if they don't have an interest in putting a different engine in their own car. Variety is the spice of life, right?

turbogidget
joshua spousta

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: turbo 1500 midget post lives again
Date: December 31, 2008 08:35PM

picture update!!!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/21/l_69c48ead03ab4cc38b76eb98a6664b25.jpg

in my original test fit i did not have the expansion tank in the car so after reintalling my setup i found out i will have to relocate it

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_4cc6f15b929d48d38f5dfa8244d11283.jpg

it dosnt look like i have much room but when you look at the picture below with the expansion tank removed i have plenty to route my exhaust down and around

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/6/l_1517f2dcc28a4325bf3b4eb96184f4c4.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/l_d5c09a75594f41fcbc3a60755a5001a1.jpg

so far the project is going very well but as i said just a little more welding and i will be one step closer

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 &amp;amp; 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: January 02, 2009 03:50AM

Very neat actually and I certainly have an interest in this. The manifold looks nicely done as well.

Have you done anything with the thrust bearings? I have had a few sets pinned in place to keep them from falling into the oil. The 1500 also has thin cylinder walls so I am told. Any internal upgrades or cylinder head improvements? Would you write an article for this site? I would love more info.

-BMC.

turbogidget
joshua spousta

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 03, 2009 12:12AM

i really dont know much about the the spridget models. but when i had the head off the block, the block looked like it could easily hold the little amount of boost im planning on running. someone was saying to use mgb bearings but you have to file down the knotch in the bearing and that just scares me. whats the trick to the thrust washers??? i havnt pulled off my oil pan yet to weld in the oil drain bung so i might do something while im down there just to reinforce. but i dont feel like spending alot of money. so far this manifold is made out of plumbers pipe 90 degree ellbows, and i tig welded it all so it should hold just fine. willing to wright a article but not untill i know my setup will work. should i do the mgb bearings and which ones do i use???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.