sconley7942
Steven Conley

(2 posts)

11/05/2018 07:15PM

Main British Car:

New project, mgb sbc I will need help from you guys
Posted by: sconley7942
Date: November 05, 2018 07:39PM

I just purchased a 1980 mgb this weekend, I have an engine and transmission from a 95 firebird. I am planning on making them one. From what I read it can be done the exhaust is the part scaring me the most. This should be a fun toy when it is done I am sure I will need lots of advice alo g the way

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: New project, mgb sbc I will need help from you guys
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: November 05, 2018 09:20PM

Can we talk you out of it?

I say this primarily because your LT1/T-56 does not fit as well as other combos that are lighter, as well. Very likely will be 250lbs heavier than my Buick 215/T-5.

What will be your use for this car when finished, Pro Street, drag car, cruiser?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 10:04AM by MGBV8.

sconley7942
Steven Conley

(2 posts)

11/05/2018 07:15PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: sconley7942
Date: November 13, 2018 05:47PM

It will be a cruiser, I have read it isn't the best swap, just so tempting because I have the drivetrain already

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: November 13, 2018 07:26PM

"so tempting because I have the drivetrain already"

Worst reason in the world to do an engine swap. Find something that fits well unless you are planning to build the car around the drivetrain.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 14, 2018 01:36AM

There have been some LT swaps done, both LT1 and LT4. every one that I have seen had extensive work done to the transmission tunnel and bulkhead but I'm not convinced that all of it was necessary. In every case the builder put great value on moving the engine down and back in an attempt to maintain a pristine 50/50 weight distribution and I think in some cases they actually went too far. The aluminum LT isn't all that heavy and even stock the MG was 51/49. It just isn't that critical. So you may be able to minimize that bulkhead surgery. I think one of the big issues was the oil filter but there may be a remote adapter available. Glen Towery says that extended sessions with a hand sledge can make the T56 fit the tunnel as well. So there's that. You will have to make engine mounts and exhaust headers. Are you up for that? And are you prepared for a build time that is likely to stretch to 3-5 years if not more? A worthwhile consideration when you realize that a Rover or Buick 300 swap can be done in a day.

Jim

GTplus
Tracy Moore
Jacksonville, Fl
(18 posts)

05/22/2011 05:37PM

Main British Car:
'71 MGB GT, '77 MGB chrevrolet 350, LT1 350 in the MGB

Posted by: GTplus
Date: December 14, 2018 12:50PM

Steven, I can help, I have numerous pictures of the engine in different placements in the engine bay. Jim, the oil filter isn't an issue when installing a 350 into the engine bay no matter where you place the engine in the bay, no remote required. Steven custom headers are required for installations with the engine toward the front of the bay, while hooker block huggers are a bolt on with the engine back in the bay. I have custom engine mounts and block hugger headers on my current installation. My motor also had the oil cooler setup at the oil filter mount which I retained. The engine can be installed with no or minor front cross member modifications depending on engine placement. Steven contact me directly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.