(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Dave Michels' Costello V8
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 06, 2009 12:36PM

A lot of you are familiar with Dave Michels and his old Costello V8. Dave brought it to one or two of our BritishV8 meets, and the car was featured in this article: "Costello V8 Mk.II"

After I became Editor of BritishV8, I tried to arrange a follow-up article about the car because I felt it would be interesting to have detailed reference photos of a Costello for our Photo Gallery. (I'm unsatisfied by the Costello photos that currently exist on the internet or in books.) Frequent BritishV8 contributor Greg Myer was all set up to meet with Dave and photograph the car, but Dave stood him up and then shortly afterward Dave sold the car. The car seemed to disappear... as if it had left America as quietly as it entered. Well actually it did.

But now it's turned up! In case anyone here is curious, the car now resides in Hjoerring Denmark where its enthusiastic owner Sven Nielsen has reportedly been enjoying driving it immensely. In case you're curious, Hjoerring is very near the northern tip of Denmark and the famous little artist's town of Skagen. (You've probably seen Skagen wristwatches... well, they aren't actually made there and they never were.) If you go to Skagen, you can enjoy the spectacular light that has inspired countless painters, and you can stand on the beach and dip your toes where the Skagerrak and the Kattegat meet - it's a very, very lovely place. Leave your wristwatch at home - you'll want to forget time and stay there forever.

And those damned Danes are stealing our cars. Remember, last year they stole the Dr.Snively MGB V8 from right under our noses. Something needs to be done about it! I have half a mind to go over there and look into the matter...

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Dave Michels' Costello V8
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 06, 2009 02:29PM

Curtis, you better be careful if you go over there. Last year you went to Port Washington and brought home some lovely valve covers, no telling what you might get to bring back from Denmark. LOL

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 06, 2009 02:36PM

Yeah, did you ever sell those? I know one guy wanted some but bought a pair off ebay. Quite a performance upgrade if you ask me ;-)

If you do go just make sure you get lots of photos of that Costello.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 10, 2009 02:06PM

I still have the "high-output valve covers". They're not installed yet, but maybe...

I've contacted several Costello owners, and so far two have promised articles. Can't wait to see the detailed photos! (Both of these Costellos are GT's that have been set-up for racing.)

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: January 10, 2009 05:01PM

Hell of an auction at British V8 2008, wasn't it Curtis?!

:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.